VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, time to get serious about this. This thread will be about my build process to put together a machine JUST for DX 7 and 8 games. I was originally going to base this on a Socket A platform but that build took a crap, so now I have two more to choose from. Any insights from others would be appreciated.

This entire build is centered around using a Geforce4 Ti 4600 w/ 45.23 drivers. The two motherboards I have to base this off of are:

P4 2.8 HT (Northwood) on an ASUS P4C800 (non-deluxe or anything)

Or

Athlon 64 3000+ on a Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP (Socket 754)

The rest of the parts are pretty basic, SATA hard drive, Possibly an Audigy 2 of some kind of I can pick one up soon.

I've yet to decide on Win98 or XP, as I can do either with these parts. XP was the "standard" OS by the era of these parts, but Win98 was still usable for gaming for several years later, with a lot of the games on my shelf listing 98 as the minimum OS.

Any opinions before I start the process of installing one of the boards in a case?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel gets my vote 😀

That motherboard is legendary and a that P4 has plenty of speed.

I would go with XP, but not past SP1 for performance reasons. I doubt there are many DX7/8 games that don't run on XP.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 8, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The A64 is better than the P4 on all possible front (to formulate better, the P4 is under anything on everything anyways)
The nforce 3 were pretty good motherboard, so no reason to steer away from it like a vulgar VIA 😁

I ran a 3400+ S754 + nForce 3 as my main rig for 2 years between my P3S 1266 and my Q6600, with a X800XT.
I had nothing to complain about, except those inacceptably high benchmarks for such low prices compoared to P4s.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 3 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would the Ti4600 scale with a faster CPU the way some older video cards did?

I personally don't really care either way which of these form the basis for the build, I'm just looking for stability and no sluggishness in Windows. For gaming in the period I've pegged on this, either one has more than enough oomph.

Reply 4 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote:

Would the Ti4600 scale with a faster CPU the way some older video cards did?

That's only an issue if you like benchmarking 100+ fsp 😀

Don't overlook the Radeon 9800. Gave Nvidia a very hard time back in the day. With those cards you quickly become GPU limited. Technology back then exploded and the resolution race was in full swing.

So, once again, it comes down to the exact games you would like to play. Then just google old benchmarks and see what cards give you 60+ fps.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a chance to do some more research on the two different motherboards.

The ASUS will accept up to a P4 EE 3.4ghz beast, and the Gigabyte board will take a Clawhammer A64 3700+. I'm guessing the P4 would be the better chip in that regard when it comes to playing games?

Would there be a more powerful video card for specifically running dx7/8 games? I know the Ti 4600 is legendary around here, but it'd be nice to know if there was a more powerful option that retains compatibility without sacrificing in order to support newer dx9 hardware requirements.

Reply 6 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In terms of performance I doubt it makes a difference. So I would focus on other things such as features of the board, stability, access to drivers, things like that.

Compatibility with games will differ from game to game. Popular titles should work fine on newer drivers, but rare or non-mainstream games might have issues.

Preferably is a driver that's like half a year older than a game. Often the release notes give interesting clues.

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Extrapolating from the test scores found at http://techreport.com/review/6459/intel-penti … hz-processors/5 I think it's fair to say that in actual games a A64 3700+ would match or exceed the Pentium 4 EE 3.4ghz.

Reply 8 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good, cause the A64 chip is way cheaper 😀

The only feature I'd be giving up over the p4 is dual channel ram but eh.