VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this system in 1998 to replace my trusty Pentium 90 which was becoming really too slow for internet, games etc.

It had a Matrox Millenium G200 because it was the card to get at the time, along with a 3DFX Voodoo II. I played quite a lot of games on that system, but for some reason they don't stand out as much in my memory as the games I played in the early to mid nineties (which to me is the "golden era" of PC gaming!). Games I remember on this system were Pod, Quake II, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal... that's about it. I'm sure I played more but it seems they didn't make lasting memories.

edit: I actually forgot to add Might and Magic VI and VII and also Heroes of Might and Magic III, Quake III Arena to this list - I actually spent many hours playing these.

A few months ago I decided to resurrect the system and put all the parts into a spare Antec Sonata II case that I had. It is missing the front door but is in good condition otherwise.

Here are the current specs:

Pentium II-333 (locked multiplier)
Abit BX6 (Version 1)
128gb Ram
IBM DTLA 30Gb HDD
Memorex DVDMaxx 1648
Sound Blaster Live PCI CT4670
Matrox Millenium G200
3DFX Voodoo 2
Windows Millenium

WoCNTZt.jpg

lMHxsBD.jpg

xClhqo7.jpg

JwBKAWz.jpg

Here it is playing Pod with an Interact ProPad 6 Gamepad - I just have two games installed on the system... POD and Rayman. I don't really use this PC often but I'm keeping it for the nostalgic value.

E5zyvrp.jpg

Last edited by MMaximus on 2014-11-23, 21:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! They're the SBS300, there doesn't seem to be many of them around because they were probably a bit expensive at the time - from what I remember they were one of the first attempts to produce something a bit better than the bunch of crappy speakers bundled with most PCs in the '90s. There's a few more pics of them in this thread:

Pentium 200 "Multi-Speed" Game & Midi System

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly - I used to run this setup at 416mhz back in the day, from what I remember it was reasonably stable at this speed but wouldn't go any faster.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 5 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE:

I've changed a few parts since my original post and tried a few games from the era - I have to say I've been really frustrated by the whole experience. It took me to a time I'm not so keen on revisiting: endless tweaking of windows ME, incessant reboots, blue screens, games not working, etc.

System%20is%20busy.JPG

I know the BX boards have a good reputation and most of the Vogons crowd seem to be passionate for the Win98 / Voodoo era, but to be honest I'm not that interested by the games to put up with the hassle - I just prefer the DOS stuff.

If anyone is interested, I'm willing to donate this board to whoever would need it to use in a system.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There could be many reasons for a system blue screening. Personally I've always stuck with 98SE and actually never used ME in my life.

There is also some incompatibility with Matrox and Voodoo cards that manifest in something like a "stuck" driver. GeForce cards don't seem to have this problem.

Could also be bad caps, temperature issues, memory.

You could also try the Time Machine approach, using newer hardware and slowing thins down through BIOS options. A Pentium 4 S478 system works well for Voodoo cards.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 14, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

Thanks! They're the SBS300, there doesn't seem to be many of them around because they were probably a bit expensive at the time - from what I remember they were one of the first attempts to produce something a bit better than the bunch of crappy speakers bundled with most PCs in the '90s. There's a few more pics of them in this thread:

Pentium 200 "Multi-Speed" Game & Midi System

Hm...why do they remind me of Yamaha YST-M10?

Reply 10 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

phil> thanks for the advice. I did test the RAM with memtest and it didn't report any errors. I think the board is actually OK - I started running into problems when I installed an older version of daemon tools so the issues seem to be more software / driver related. I did run into system hangs with the G200 / Voodoo 2 combination - but I've removed both of them and put a Voodoo 3 and haven't experienced any more of these. Generally what I find the most annoying about systems from this era is that games seem to require a lot of tweaking with patches, drivers etc - and I no longer have the patience for this s**t. I do have another socket 478 system but it's always been strictly XP - I've never tried to install Windows 98 on it.

dreamer of the past> cool! Never heard of these speakers until now. They appear in fact to be identical:

162_1.jpg

feipoa> sorry I'm keeping the voodoo 2 - I have put it into another system for Dos games only where it seems to be working fine with no hassle! However I still have other parts to donate like a socket 7 board, some video cards, some Slot 1 CPUs, etc..

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 11 of 14, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Advice: SS7 K6-III+ and Win95b/c with Voodoo3 and Voodoo1. (do not install the V1 in Win9x, use the V1 only for Dosglide)
Make a snapshot of the installed system with no drivers, and one with all necessary drivers with "fat32cp".

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 13 of 14, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
Thanks. Don't have a SS7 system nor a voodoo1 however! In the mean time, here's a pic of the BX6: […]
Show full quote

Thanks. Don't have a SS7 system nor a voodoo1 however! In the mean time, here's a pic of the BX6:

NBXfih3l.jpg

The board looks spotless, I doubt there is anything wrong with it.

Windows 9x is a bit like a honest Politician... it will be corrupted the second you turn your back.
Its all part of the retro experience 😈

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 14 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: I gave away the whole system but ended up keeping the hard disk, the voodoo2 and the mouse to use in this build:
Pentium 233MMX - SCC-1 / CT2230 / Voodoo2 rig

Hard Disk Sounds