VOGONS

First post, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I merged a bit of my P3 stuff a while back to make this. I thought I would share it since its new to me.

8nyjdI4l.jpg
8jKNNAEl.jpg

This is more of a computer you'd get around 1999 for cheap to play some video games, probably not at the highest settings and stuff.
Its got:
Pentium 3 Coppermine 500MHz overclocked to 556MHz. The multiplier is locked so I used BCLK. The next step up was 620MHz, and that didn't even post.
512MB SDRAM, 2 128MBs and a 256MB module.
Soyo SY-6BA+, which is pretty nice, all of the clock/bus settings and stuff are all in the BIOS, no flippin them dip switches or jumping them jumpers.
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 64MB
Ensoniq AudioPCI
Some ISA NIC (the PCI one I tried before caused the PC to not POST, I might have to play around with that)

I really like the case as it has the latches on the side so I don't have to screw around with screwdrivers or any of that junk. They can also be used for handles. I think it looks very nice too. This case originally held this motherboard with some sort of Celeron @500MHz on a slotket. The P3 has that 100MHz bus, so obviously that's the CPU to use. My last optimal P3 build that I had made with parts I own had a cruddy eMachines board and a Rage128 Pro, which in the end sucked pretty hard.

I think it works pretty well for those early 3d games, also its great with Sim City 3000 and RCT. My Pentium MMX 200MHz machine can't quite keep up with those.

Last edited by Tr3vor42532 on 2014-04-15, 19:37. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Tr3vor42532

Reply 1 of 8, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

very nice 99-00 build. but its not budget for 1999, more like high end excepting the video card (a v3, gf256 or matrox g400 would make it period correct). such a system would have cost an arm, a leg & a ball back in 99.

Reply 2 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sgt76 wrote:

very nice 99-00 build. but its not budget for 1999, more like high end excepting the video card (a v3, gf256 or matrox g400 would make it period correct). such a system would have cost an arm, a leg & a ball back in 99.

Exactly what I thought when I saw this. I consider my PII-450 with TNT2 and V2 SLI a high-end and this "budget" one would leave it in the dust 😀

The case is neat though.

Reply 3 of 8, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I guess its semi high end then.

Yeah only the video card is more on the budget side for the Geforce 2 cards, although the pentium 3 is on the lower side of the clock spectrum. The Celeron would make it more of a budget thing. Although it would be nice to get a higher clocked P3 in this thing, its just barely making it for some games.

The sound card is pretty shit though, It would be nice to get a Sound Blaster Live going in it, but I've never got one to work. Every time I try installing drivers, its all like "cannot detect the card".

Fixed the thread name though 😜

Reply 5 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO "not so budget" for 2000 would probably mean splurging on first-gen Williamette hype and puting in a 3D Prophet II, Sound Blaster Live 5.1 + LiveDrive and going for the dreadful RDRAM and a Windows ME/2000 dualboot, all ready for hotly anticipated titles such as 007:World Is Not Enough, Obi-Wan, Loose Cannon, Neverwinter Nights, Halo, Max Payne, Ultima Online II, and Duke Nukem Forever 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

IMO "not so budget" for 2000 would probably mean splurging on first-gen Williamette hype and puting in a 3D Prophet II, Sound Blaster Live 5.1 + LiveDrive and going for the dreadful RDRAM and a Windows ME/2000 dualboot, all ready for hotly anticipated titles such as 007:World Is Not Enough, Obi-Wan, Loose Cannon, Neverwinter Nights, Halo, Max Payne, Ultima Online II, and Duke Nukem Forever 😀

I always wondered what was RDRAM used for.Anyways I have a bunch of Samsung RDRAM sticks (different sizes)but I've got no board to use them in.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 7 of 8, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly, your rig strikes me more as something that was built around 2000, and given a couple of upgrades in 2001/2002. The GF2MX didn't exist until 2001, and I don't think having 512MB of ram was even a semi-common thing until at least 2002. The overclock also sort of strikes me as the sort of thing someone on a budget would do to squeeze more power out of their gear. 🤣

Still a nice build, however. 😀 Throw in a faster P3 to make the most of the ram and GF2, and it'll really be kickin'.

Reply 8 of 8, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know what it would be tbh, I'm very uneducated in the ways of P2s and P3s. Those times seemed to be quite a bit funky, there was so much technical advancement.

I looked on wikipedia and it said that the Geforce 2 MX cards were from 2000, although I wonder if the MX200/400 came out a year later. The computer seemed to originally have 256MB. I have though of getting a faster P3 for this system, one over a GHz would be nice, but before I do that I'd like a P2 around the 366Mhz range or so to fill in that gap.

🤣 DNF.