VOGONS

First post, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the 486 machine that my sister found me at a thrift store a couple years ago. It started out with a 468SX 33Mhz, but I toasted that cpu by inserting it backwards into the CPU socket (curse you socket 3 and not being keyed). Seriously, could they have made a socked make less sense? There are too many pinholes for the CPU and there isn't an arrow, all you have to go by is one slightly out of place pin. Still ticks me off to this day. Anyway, I replaced it with a 486DX 33Mhz. Earlier this year I replaced the CPU again, this time with an Intel 486DX2 66Mhz. When I got it, it had some hardware missing, but luckily it had the I/O controller and the VLB video card still in there. So I just stuck in a Sound Blaster 16 and a WDC 21100 1.1GB drive in there. The BIOS didn't like anything over 500MB, and I didn't want to bother with a DDO, so I bought a Conner CP3000E or something like that, a 240MB HDD. I love the sounds these old drives make 😁 I like the case design, although it can be a bit short for anything taller than your standard expansion card. Also the top sucks ass, plastic with this thin RF shield, it doesn't like going back on the case properly. One thing I need to get in the future is L2 Cache, it doesn't have any right now.

Another horror story with this computer besides the toasted CPU is the CMOS battery situation. It had one of the canister battery, but the last owner took it out and tried to solder what appeared to be a pack of AAs to the battery terminals and taped it to the side of the PSU. Ironically, the replacement battery leaked all over the place, on the power supply, the ram slots, all that. I cleaned everything up with vinegar and a bit of water. After that everything was nice and clean. The horror story starts here. I was being a dumb ass and put the computer together after a couple hours, which obviously isn't enough time for it to dry. After about 5 minutes of being on, the computer shut off, not even the PSU was working. I was thinking "how odd, AT computers don't do that..." So I turn if off and back on and hear a buzzing sound, I was like "OH SHIT!" and shut it off for the night. I let it sit for another 2 days before turning it back on again. After that it worked. This computer has been through a lot 🤣.

Anyway, now it has:
Intel 486DX2 66Mhz
20MB 30pin SIMMs
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5424 512K VLB
Sound Blaster Vibra 16C (a real SB16 would be nice in the future)
Teac CD ROM
1.2MB 5.25" floppy
1.44MB 3.5" floppy
Generic old 200w PSU.

EHItBVll.jpg IWwmaCOl.jpg

Fi5er7Zl.jpg gr5FyxLl.jpg

pI5wNO6l.jpg
This battery is actually connected to the external battery header, it won't be leaking any time soon. Also, it was made using safe practices, soldering batteries. 😁

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Tr3vor42532

Reply 1 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is what I call a workhorse of a 486 😀

Nice story and awesome pics!

Any plans for further CPU upgrades?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 10, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice 486.

Is that a matching At&T keyboard?

You're lucky that you have an old AT&T with a more typical/'standard' AT power supply (without the big red or black switch coming out the side). this way it will be easier to upgrade or replace the P/S if need be.

Reply 3 of 10, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's just a regular IBM model M keyboard. I think I'll keep those CPU, if I need anything faster, I have my Pentium 75.

This seems to be rather generic compared to most AT&T stuff, I've seen many cases like it in HighTreason's videos. The logo is on a removable badge.

Reply 4 of 10, by Holering

User metadata

Now that is a real PC. Your sister definitely deserves something special. It's really impressive there's no rust visible.

Take care of yourself while working on that thing though; or even touching it. Seriously, any hot wire in power supply can melt through plastic with a tired ground-earth point and touch the case; you'll end up with your entire power outlet charging up the case and/or yourself (death). That's not good. Think a lot of folks around here just buy old stuff without knowing what's really going on. It's not funny either. Feel stupid myself after suggesting old CRTs on these forums. With an old system like that, you should be at least capable of checking capacitors and safely replacing them my friend.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You make it sound like I've been dinking around inside the power supply when it was on. Trust me, when something shorted, I was clear away from the computer, using the power strip's switch. 😜

I'm not that stupid. Also, recommending CRTs isn't like its putting someone's life in danger, unless they intend on messing around inside one while its on (which is stupid). Yeah, it can give you a nasty shock when They're off, but 90% of the CRT horror stories happen when they were on.

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice complete system, with CRT and all 😀 Got to love these old PC's they take a beating so will forgive you and your mistakes, yet at the same time will drive you crazy over some hardware or config clash

Reply 10 of 10, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Did you already had some plans to upgrade the system?

You mean from now or back when I first got it?
All I see that I need from now is L2 cache. I could upgrade my CPU of course, but I have a P75 for that stuff, so I don't see what could be upgraded much more.

Yeah those speakers are pretty great, although the right speaker is starting to rattle 🙁 Think they're starting to get old.