Retro K6-III

Topic actions

First post, by matt102498

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first retro build ever
EPoX MVP3G5
K6-III 450 (AMD's first real threat to Intel)
512mb ram (debating 768, but only 512 is Tri-level cacheable)
ASUS Nvidia 5950 Ultra (Stuck at AGP aperture of 32mb or else I'm trapped in a 4 bit world. Does anyone here know how to fix this!?)
Aureal Vortex 2 8830 (The company that made me decide to never purchase another Creative product again)
160gb hdd (surprisingly bios recognized an bootable)
VIA PPA Int'l card featuring 2 SATA 150 (1 external), 133 IDE controller, 4 USB 2.0 and 2 firewire ports
ATI Theater 650 (I am determined to get this working at a bearable speed)

It will be complete when I add in 2 Diamond Monster 3D II 12mb cards.

I'll also be adding an IBM PS/1 2155 to my collection once I find the right one

Thanks for caring to read about what my boring self has been up to!

Main Rig: ABIT IC7-MAXIII P4 EE 3.4GHz 4GB OCZ Platinum HIS Radeon 4670HD AGP 120Gb OCZ SSD
Retro: EPoX MVP3G5 K6-III 450 768 CL2 ASUS Geforce 5950 Ultra Aureal Vortex
Looking for: IBM PS/1 supporting 64mb ram

Reply 1 of 37, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 5950 Ultra strikes me as being a bit overkill for a K6-III rig. 😉 You might have less problems with an older GPU. Otherwise, it seems like you have a nice build.

Reply 2 of 37, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like it, makes a good Win98 machine, a K6 450 should be pretty competitive with just about any pre-Quake 3 era game.

though I agree that Geforce is overkill for this kind of system, if it was me, I would skip the dual Voodoo IIs and just go for a single Voodoo 3000.

Reply 3 of 37, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K6-III makes a nice Voodoo 2 SLI machine 😀

For signal quality many use a Matrox AGP card in combination with the Voodoo 2 cards. I like going with a basic Geforce4 MX.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 37, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AGP Aperture doesn't need to be larger than 32MB for that card (or any card really) - it won't influence its performance, at least if it were in a "properly matched" system (that is, there's no real performance gains to having outrageously big AGP Aperture, especially for a card with 256MB of onboard memory). In general I'd say the card is massively overkill/pointless for a K6-2 though (the GPU's core clock is higher than the CPU's clock...that alone should tell you something). I agree with the comments suggesting to add a single Voodoo3 in place of the 5950/V2-SLI setup. GeForce 2/4 MX would be a fine choice too.

The 5950 would be better suited in a Pentium 4. 😀

I doubt you'll get the Theater 650 to work "at a bearable speed" either - it's hung up by the (comparatively) dog-slow CPU. Theater 650 came out in 2006; it's FAR too new/modern to be expected to work nicely with such an ancient (relatively speaking) machine (really, the CPU just isn't up to the level of multimedia performance you're expecting). Again, it would be better suited in a Pentium 4 (or higher).

Reply 5 of 37, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The real problem with the Geforce 5xxx FX line is that the beefier models are VERY power hungry and regardless of the additional (molex?) PSU connector on them, they draw too much power from the AGP slot and make SS7 motherboards unstable, especially when fully populated. Some models, like the 5500 and 5700 might work nicely, though.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 37, by Holering

User metadata

Nice system! K6-III's are some of the best choices for retro gaming.

That 5950 however... That is beastly wicked on a k6! It sucks power from power supply and has dual slot blow dryer, plus there's no way a K6 will be sufficient for directX 9 gaming haha (unless you want liquid nitrogen 24/7). Any card with external power (especially with dual slot blow dryer) just isn't good for legacy purposes IMO; power hungry, more dust, hot and noisy, and expensive to fix. Geforce FX series was the worst GPU nvidia ever made BTW. Radeon 9xxx were way better despite being from Geforce 4 era; 9xxx had to be the best cards ever actually, next to the 8800 gtx IMO.

Use a brand-new power supply with old hardware always. Old hardware needs it (Installed a used-old dell power supply. Started whining and fried a k6 mobo I had; can't remember what happened to all the pci-agp cards either). Should baby the k6 and hardware with good clean power (single 12V rail) and make sure no bulging capacitors exist.

I'd go with voodoo 2 (you're already doing that!) and a nice 2D card (I'd choose S3 series). Add high quality adlib-opl sythesis via ISA soundcard (Turtle Beach comes to mind). Shouldn't need anything else after finding midi module (Cm32l) for au8830.

Does anyone know if au8830 has clipping-loud volume issues in DOS? It appears to, with 2048 drivers for DOS games inside 9x.

Reply 7 of 37, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know this first part is nit-picking, but I wanted to correct some historical/factual inaccuracies:

Holering wrote:

Any card with external power (especially with dual slot blow dryer) just isn't good for legacy purposes IMO; power hungry, more dust, hot and noisy, and expensive to fix. Geforce FX series was the worst GPU nvidia ever made BTW. Radeon 9xxx were way better despite being from Geforce 4 era; 9xxx had to be the best cards ever actually, next to the 8800 gtx IMO.

The Radeon 9 series are *not* "GeForce 4 era" - they're ATi's competitor to GeForce FX (both are Gen1 DX9 cards). The GF4-era Radeon was the 8500 and its kin. GeForce FX was "late" to the market - just like GeForce 400 series or Radeon 2900. That doesn't make the Radeon 9 a DX8.1-generation part.

GeForce FX being "worst" or "best" is certainly an opinionated line to take, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I will say that the blowers (at least the original Flow FX designs) tend to do a good job of exhausting heat outside of the case, versus heating up every other expansion card around them. IME the FX 5900 and 5800 aren't that hot running, at least relative to similarly performing cards, and noise is relative - the non-Ultra cards tend to be pretty quiet (near silent), and the Ultra cards tend to be pretty quiet when not in 3D (the 5800 Ultra runs passively when not in 3D; I don't remember if the 5950 does or not).

Use a brand-new power supply with old hardware always. Old hardware needs it (Installed a used-old dell power supply. Started whining and fried a k6 mobo I had; can't remember what happened to all the pci-agp cards either). Should baby the k6 and hardware with good clean power (single 12V rail) and make sure no bulging capacitors exist.

+1 on using new power supplies when possible. With Dell it gets tricky though - older Dell PSUs are not ATX standard (they do use 20-pin connectors though), and the motherboards they're designed to work with are not ATX standard. You can't connect a normal ATX PSU to such a board, or use such a PSU with an ATX board. Adapters used to exist, I'm sure you could find them (or pinouts to make your own) on eBay or elsewhere.

I'd go with voodoo 2 (you're already doing that!) and a nice 2D card (I'd choose S3 series). Add high quality adlib-opl sythesis via ISA soundcard (Turtle Beach comes to mind). Shouldn't need anything else after finding midi module (Cm32l) for au8830.

+1.

Does anyone know if au8830 has clipping-loud volume issues in DOS? It appears to, with 2048 drivers for DOS games inside 9x.

Can you feed it into a DAW or similar to see if it's clipping?

Reply 8 of 37, by Space Marine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matt102498 wrote:
My first retro build ever EPoX MVP3G5 K6-III 450 (AMD's first real threat to Intel) 512mb ram (debating 768, but only 512 is Tri […]
Show full quote

My first retro build ever
EPoX MVP3G5
K6-III 450 (AMD's first real threat to Intel)
512mb ram (debating 768, but only 512 is Tri-level cacheable)
ASUS Nvidia 5950 Ultra (Stuck at AGP aperture of 32mb or else I'm trapped in a 4 bit world. Does anyone here know how to fix this!?)
Aureal Vortex 2 8830 (The company that made me decide to never purchase another Creative product again)
160gb hdd (surprisingly bios recognized an bootable)
VIA PPA Int'l card featuring 2 SATA 150 (1 external), 133 IDE controller, 4 USB 2.0 and 2 firewire ports
ATI Theater 650 (I am determined to get this working at a bearable speed)

It will be complete when I add in 2 Diamond Monster 3D II 12mb cards.

I'll also be adding an IBM PS/1 2155 to my collection once I find the right one

Thanks for caring to read about what my boring self has been up to!

have u ever had audio problems with ur AGP video card and the au8830?

I have a very similar setup to yours, and i cant get the au8830 to work correctly for more then 3-4 seconds, after that no sounds.
It appears to be a latecy problem which happens when an AGP video card is used together with a pci audio card on mvp3 chipset boards.

Have you ever had it? If yes, how did u fix it?

Which driver versions are u using for chipset, AGP card and vortex 2?

Are you using win98 right?

Reply 9 of 37, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a fan of cramming as stuff into old things as possible because "Why not?", I like it. 😀

Even I think the FX5950 is a bit overkill but that's already been covered. (I'd go with a V3 AGP personally)

Since you seem to be trying to turn it into an old jack-of-all-trades beast: that motherboard should be able to cache the full 768MB if you boost the L2 (L3!) cache to the full 2MB. If you're set on multimedia, you probably should consider an MPEG2 decoder (an XCard would be even better if you can find one).

Reply 10 of 37, by Holering

User metadata

Want to clarify that the 5950 card you have is the best FX series card and that's saying a lot. Seriously. Should hang on to it for a nice P4 or XP3200+ rig. Just compare it to their original 5800 card (how many of those things even got released?). Hope I didn't make it sound like you have a bad card (which you don't at all!). Personally have their pcx5750 which is a little faster than the 5800 despite being stripped down, and it actually has tiny 55mm chipset stock cooler, takes a single slot, and runs off pcie port (no external power). Nvidia really did an impressive job improving on the original 5800 disaster. That 5950 is a pure classic and shows what the original 5800 should've been and then some (it's the only true FX card.). Very unique card. No joke. Take good care of it BTW...

@ obobskavich:
There's no way a 5800 card can run cool enough without unbearable noise, unless you add a third party cooler (zalman comes to mind). Guru3d.com has a review on the original 5800. Pretty rare card but it does suck.

Reply 12 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Space Marine wrote:
Btw, thinking about it, 1 thing leaves me wondering: […]
Show full quote

Btw, thinking about it, 1 thing leaves me wondering:

does the nvidia card run on a agp 2x slot?
isn't the slot key preventing it to be inserted?
And doesnt it fry at 3.3v?

- Yes
- No
- It supports both 3.3v and 1.5v AGP slots.

This is why the FX5950 is the ultimate card for AGP 2x boards.

Note: GF6 cards support 3.3V by chip design, but they are not key'ed correctly for 2x AGP slots. There have been users here on Vogons which have modified their Geforce 6 series cards to allow 3.3v key'ing.
agpuniv.jpg

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13 of 37, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:

@ obobskavich:
There's no way a 5800 card can run cool enough without unbearable noise, unless you add a third party cooler (zalman comes to mind). Guru3d.com has a review on the original 5800. Pretty rare card but it does suck.

When I say the card runs passively, I mean the cards runs passively (as in, silent). The following #s are based off of my card: With room ambient at around 17-18* C the card reports the GPU at around 30-40* C in passive 2D mode (the board sensor, which I believe to be fairly close to the GPU, usually reports a few degrees above the motherboard's reported case ambient, until the card goes into 3D at which point it reports pretty close to the GPU's reported temperature - I've touched the board while its running 3D and I'm skeptical the "board" is at >50* C). If it switches into 3D (e.g. start up a game) the fan will turn on, and I've never seen it go much over 60* C even looping 3DMark or Aquamark - normally it runs in the mid-50s (most games don't apply a constant 100% load to a GPU, the load goes up and down, and the temperatures go up and down in response). It runs cooler than my 5900XT (which uses a single-slot cooling solution similar to what some GF4 Ti cards used), cools down faster than my 5900XT, and is quieter at idle than my 5900XT (it's also faster than the 5900XT, at least by a little bit).

Under load it's a toss-up as far as which is potentially more intrusive - the 5800 Ultra has a consistent fan noise, the 5900XT's fan adjusts itself up and down in response to heat. When they "start out" the 5900XT is quieter, but by the time the 5900 gets into the 60-70* C range its fan is running at 100% and is whinier (it has a smaller fan). The noise is on-par or quieter-than most modern cards (Radeon 4870X2 is much louder and runs much much hotter, for example), but unlike most modern cards the fan isn't cycling RPMs - the fan is either all-on or all-off so it's easily enough tuned out. When it drops 3D clocks it goes back to passive cooling after a 2-3 minute cool-down run (and it is a timed delay). I stated in another thread that the WildcatVP 880Pro (all the time; its fan never turns off) is louder than the 5800 Ultra at load, and I did mean that. The "unbearable noise" complaint really isn't anything I've ever understood - I will say that a lot of the acoustic measurements you will find in old reviews should just be thrown out with the bath water though. Usually there is no weighting, calibration, etc associated with them - for example I found a TechReport measurement that asserted both FX 5800 Ultra and Radeon 9800 Pro ran at around 48 dB (at unknown distance) when idle. That's hokey imo - the 5800 Ultra is silent, and the 9800 Pro is pretty-near silent (you have to work to hear that fan (at least on my 9700P you did)). So that means they're probably picking up background noise in their office (or the computer's case fans, PSU fans, etc), not the cards themselves. Modern acoustic measurements tend to be at least somewhat better, but still usually amount to little more than just holding an uncalibrated SPL meter "near-ish" the computer with other associated fans/etc running (yes, taking accurate SPL readings is hard work, which is why I'm providing relative examples and not trying to pin it down to dB values).

As far as aftermarket cooling, the 5800 Ultra (I can't speak to the 5800nu; from photos it looks very similar to the 5900 Ultra though) has a relatively unique cooling mount, and replacing it with something else would likely require at least a modicum of customization. IXBT also cautioned against removing Flow FX from a working 5800 Ultra, as parts of the contact plate are reportedly glued or adhered to the card and there apparently is a risk of unintentionally de-lidding the NV30 itself, or damaging the RAM chips. Personally I think Flow FX does a fine job in terms of thermal performance and it also provides some rigidity to the board (so there's no "warping" of the PCB), and I have no cause to disassemble it as a result; 3D noise could always be lower (lower noise is always better, isn't it?), but it isn't "unbearable" by my standards, even in a relatively quiet residential setting. Yes, you are likely going to be aware that the 5800 Ultra is running in 3D (here's another thing that a lot of reviews don't mention: you usually aren't playing games with the sound muted; having the radio on in the background is usually enough to drown out the 5800U's fan IME, if you were blasting away in UT or Quake with headphones you probably wouldn't even notice the card), and yes it would obviously be "better" if it (or any card) ran passively through its entire duty cycle, but that isn't real-world. I think it took a very hard rap back in 2002/3 mostly because it was the first card to use a 2-slot blower, and compared to mostly passive competitors, it stands out quite a bit. By modern standards, however, it would likely sit more towards the middle of the pack, and probably be praised for being able to cycle the fan off during 2D operation.

Performance is well documented in various reviews, and for DX7/8 it does just fine (in some cases it will actually outrun the FX 59x0 and Radeon, which TechReport speculated was due to the higher clocks influence on TnL emulation). I personally wouldn't lean on a GeForce FX *or* a Radeon 9 for serious DX9 gaming. For that I'd much rather have the 8800GTX you mentioned earlier. 😀

To vetz: I'd add that some Radeon 9 cards are universally keyed, but some are not. On the 3.3V key conversion for GeForce 6, do you know if it's dictated by the HS-bridge? (that is, can the 6600GT be converted to universal, or is it only the AGP-native 6800s?)

Reply 14 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

[

To vetz: I'd add that some Radeon 9 cards are universally keyed, but some are not. On the 3.3V key conversion for GeForce 6, do you know if it's dictated by the HS-bridge? (that is, can the 6600GT be converted to universal, or is it only the AGP-native 6800s?)

No idea. I'm just basing what I wrote from this thread: Would this mod to this Geforce 6800 from AGP 1.5v to 3.3v kill it?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 17 of 37, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EverythingOldIsNewAgain wrote:
Space Marine wrote:

This is why the FX5950 is the ultimate card for AGP 2x boards.

No, that would be the Voodoo 5 6000 😉. /obligatory

My avatar approves. 😁

Reply 18 of 37, by matt102498

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got back from volunteering at a week long camp for kids with special needs. I'm surprised at all the responses and look forward to responding after my wife goes to work tonight. I have been struggling with the GeForce crashing with DX8 under dxdiag, but I haven't had a minute to really sit and try other drivers. I was hoping that the mpeg2 hardware decoding on the GeForce would be enough to skip the XCard, but we shall see. I also originally had a ATI AIW 9800 pro I wanted to put in that was keyed correctly. Strange thing happened. I checked to make sure that the bios would post before my CPU came in, and it DID! The ATI posted fine. It felt really promising until I put the CPU in and... no go. Very strange.

Main Rig: ABIT IC7-MAXIII P4 EE 3.4GHz 4GB OCZ Platinum HIS Radeon 4670HD AGP 120Gb OCZ SSD
Retro: EPoX MVP3G5 K6-III 450 768 CL2 ASUS Geforce 5950 Ultra Aureal Vortex
Looking for: IBM PS/1 supporting 64mb ram

Reply 19 of 37, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

iirc the GeForce FX doesn't do MPEG2 accel without either the nVidia DVD application ("nV-DVD" - they used to give it away with certain boards, or charge for it on their website; I have no idea if you can even get it these days), or a plug-in for certain DVD player software (I think CyberDVD can do it). This may not be 100% accurate, it's just what I remember from setting up my 5900XT for HTPC; nV-DVD was the ideal choice because it'd see very low CPU usage, versus WMP or VLC. Never tried it on a K6 though.