VOGONS

IBM Aptiva - K6-300 Revival

Topic actions

First post, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

I'm new, My Names Mark and I'm from the UK, South East and turning 30 this year. I grew up with Windows 3.11 (286-386), 95 (486) & 98. My love for everything retro has been a tad low recently after building up my games console collection (Mainly Sega Saturn). Years back I had a Escom P75, 8mb of RAM, 1Gb Hard Drive, Windows 95, then a good few years after AMD K6-2 400, 64mb of RAM with a 8MB ATi Rage AGP Card. Since then I upgraded everything I could and overclocked.

I work in IT and one of my clients was recently using a IBM Aptiva for their internet banking (Dial up) up until late last year, I was asked if I could dispose of it. I didn't have the heart and always planned of reviving it - Its been up in my loft for a good 6 months.

The Beast

w669h.jpg

The Specifications

IBM Aptiva
58XA Motherboard
AMD K6-2 300mhz
64mb SD-RAM (2x32mb)
O/B ATi 2mb Rage II + DVD
O/B Crystal Audio Sound Card
4.3Gb Seagate Hard Drive
48x IDE CD-ROM (I Replaced this a couple of years back for them with a spare I had)

My intentions were to throw anything I have at it, still have a good number of DOS Games on CD:-

Sam & Max Hit the Road
Monkey Island
Europress Network Q RAC Rally Championship
Indy Car Racing
Quake
Screamer 1 & 2

But to also see If I can play some windows classics which I still have...

Unreal & Unreal Tournament
Quake 2 & 3
Theme Hospital
Metal Gear Solid (Microsoft PC)

So I booted up, Formatted with a fresh copy of Windows 98 SE (Still have the CD and COA) and had a great time, all of my skills with DOS (Autoexec.bat and Config.sys) came flooding back and got most dos games running without any issues. But I wanted more... 😀 I had a Voodoo 3/Nvidia TNT2 back in the day so I decided to upgrade.

The first limitation is the motherboard, I have no AGP slot, just PCI. It also looks like the motherboard runs up to 300mhz, which its currently running at now. I had plans to upgrade to a K6 400/500.
The motherboard is :- 58XA Motherboard, http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/v58xa.htm

Ram Upgrade, 64mb to 288mb with some spare SD-RAM I had laying around
Hard Drive Upgrade, replaced the noisy 4.3Gb hard drive with a WD40Gb. I had two of these in my parts draw 😀 Obviously not time fitting but gives me a much quicker drive.

A quick scout of ebay and I've ordered a 16mb Voodoo 3 2000 PCI

2ewefx3.jpg

I fitted the Voodoo today, after some time running I checked touched the heat sink to get a idea of how hot it was running. I burnt myself - there is hardly any room in the case for decent airflow... So back to my parts draw (good thing I don't throw anything out right 😊 😀)

92mm Fan @ 7v resistor with Zalman Fan Bracket

2zoyc05.jpg

ws3e5u.jpg

After some time playing a Unreal the card felt very cool, I took a photo with the case on, you can see the fan pretty much matches with the side of the case, meaning its pulling in cool air rather than just moving it around.

15poacn.jpg

Unreal running in 3Dfx mode

972ykw.jpg

Inside

2zdne50.jpg

Performance wise I need to get round to bench marking it however I'm finding its a little slower than I expected (Comparing to when I used to have my AMD K6-2 400/Voodoo 3 3000 AGP)

Quake 3 @ 640x480 - 15fps (16.3 fps Voodoo 3 @ 166mhz)
Quake 2 @ 800x600 - 30fps
Unreal T @ 640x480 - feels like ~15-20fps
3DMark '99 - 1168 3Dmarks, 1582 CPUmarks

Not sure if I'm CPU bound or GPU bound with it being PCI. Thoughts?
Edit :- Just overclocked the Voodoo to 3000 Speeds, just 1.3fps. Something I'm sure is wrong. I remember building a retro rig out of a Pentium 233mhz years back and getting much better results. It even ran UT2003 at decent speeds.

So overall its been fun and bought me right back to 1997-99

On my to-do list

- Replace Heatsink & Fan (Ordered 26/05) Fan Bearings are shot.
- Upgrade O/B Sound Card, Any suggestions?
- Look into speed issues, any advice?
- Anything else?
- Any ideas if I can get away with upgrading my CPU?

Last edited by foey on 2014-05-30, 23:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 1 of 26, by matt102498

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is an interesting motherboard. I'm jealous that you have games to run and test. I'm still waiting for steam to regain support for non-sse2 processors.

I see different information everywhere about the maximum memory and apparently some versions did allow the 4/4.5x multiplier, but I'm sure you've already seen the manual. If not it's here http://www.elhvb.com/supportbios.info/Archive … cer/v58xasg.pdf

I think that voodoo 3 is probably ideal for that machine, and I'm well aware that the one I put in mine is bottlenecked by the processor.

Main Rig: ABIT IC7-MAXIII P4 EE 3.4GHz 4GB OCZ Platinum HIS Radeon 4670HD AGP 120Gb OCZ SSD
Retro: EPoX MVP3G5 K6-III 450 768 CL2 ASUS Geforce 5950 Ultra Aureal Vortex
Looking for: IBM PS/1 supporting 64mb ram

Reply 2 of 26, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what is that metal thing you have holding the fan? is it meant to be used like that or something you just kinda rigged? I have a few machines where I could use something like that. its nice cause it doesn't take up a slot like a PCI fan.

Reply 3 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Double post.

Last edited by foey on 2014-05-28, 11:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matt102498 wrote:

That is an interesting motherboard. I'm jealous that you have games to run and test. I'm still waiting for steam to regain support for non-sse2 processors.

I see different information everywhere about the maximum memory and apparently some versions did allow the 4/4.5x multiplier, but I'm sure you've already seen the manual. If not it's here http://www.elhvb.com/supportbios.info/Archive … cer/v58xasg.pdf

I think that voodoo 3 is probably ideal for that machine, and I'm well aware that the one I put in mine is bottlenecked by the processor.

Thanks for that, I'll have a read of the manual. I just quickly tried upping the FSB to 75mhz but resulted in BSOD, I'm guessing ill need to up the processor voltage. I've just ordered a K6-2 450 from ebay. So will have a play with that. I also read that AMD also mapped the x2 multiplier on some of the K6-2s to get around the low multipliers found on some motherboards.

foey wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

what is that metal thing you have holding the fan? is it meant to be used like that or something you just kinda rigged? I have a few machines where I could use something like that. its nice cause it doesn't take up a slot like a PCI fan.

Its from the AMD Thunderbird Era for use on Zalman flower coolers. I just mounted the fan differently. See here... http://www.bitbenderforums.com/imaginasian/Za … _Mod/zalman.htm

Theres one on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zalman-fan-bracket- … =item3a90c93d6a

It works really well and the fan is silent @ 7v.

Reply 7 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today my CPU arrived...

241781i.jpg

AMD K6-2 450.

I knew I was in for some work as the motherboard does not officially support higher than a K6-300.

I had to set the jumpers on the board for the lower CPU type (CyrixMii) which allowed me to select a Multiplier of 2.
When the K6-2 was released many Socket 7 motherboards had low multipliers. For AMD to overcome this, they mapped 2 to equal 6 which allowed the CPU to run at the desired speed.
I also upped the voltage whilst I was playing around to 2.7 (CPU is 2.4) I'll try to lower this shortly - temps are within spec currently.

The 2 multiplier (=6) x66 gave me 400mhz which seemed stable. I tried upping the FSB to 75mhz this gave me 450mhz. whilst I was able to benchmark, the system was not stable. Therefore I dropped it down to 400mhz (66x6)

3129u0i.jpg

308k0p2.jpg

2gtb39u.jpg

5x4pp5.jpg

344qoh1.jpg

Overall its a nice jump in performance. Unreal Tournament is now playable at 640x480 @ 25fps. Quake 3 now gives me just under 20fps. 3Dmark looked to take advantage of 3Dnow! It ran so much smoother.

Reply 8 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone suggest a decent ISA sound card for me to look out for?

Reply 9 of 26, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foey wrote:

Can anyone suggest a decent ISA sound card for me to look out for?

It all depends what you want really. A good all-round card would be the SB AWE64 Gold, but it's got no OPL3. Depends if you see that as a good or a bad thing 😉
CT2230 has decent sound, no hanging note and it's an SB16, so compatibility is great. The SB Pro 2 is a classic, but becoming more and more pricey.
I know a lot of people swear by ESS Audio Drive cards, but I've not really had much personal experience with those.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 10 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, mainly want it to be compatible with DOS Games. The O/B sound is dire and having issues with some games.

I can't find any CT2230s on ebayuk. How is the CT4500 Sound Blaster AWE64?

Reply 11 of 26, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2.7 volts seems very high, IMHO wouldn't run it at even 2.6 for long periods of time.

It is a sweet machine though 😀

I had a very similar one a long time ago, it was the Celeron model (black case).

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 12 of 26, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foey wrote:

Thanks, mainly want it to be compatible with DOS Games. The O/B sound is dire and having issues with some games.

I can't find any CT2230s on ebayuk. How is the CT4500 Sound Blaster AWE64?

I had a CT4500 back in the days and was very happy with it, but I don't really know if it has any specific issues with older games.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 14 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote:

2.7 volts seems very high, IMHO wouldn't run it at even 2.6 for long periods of time.

It is a sweet machine though 😀

I had a very similar one a long time ago, it was the Celeron model (black case).

Thanks 😀

I've lowered it to 2.2v now. Under volted by 0.2 (Runs at 2.4) but only running at 400mhz. Anything over 66 is unstable 😠 Still waiting on my new Socket 7 CPU cooler for it. The bearings are shot in the current fan.

Reply 16 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple of upgrades this evening.

First of all the Heatsink fan, the bearings had gone in the previous one. New one arrived so I cleaned the CPU and applied some Artic Silver 5.

317jt78.jpg

Found a DVD-ROM drive, Date stamped 2002. Upgrade from the black Compaq CD-ROM drive I had in there. It's hopeless at playing DVDs. My old K6-2 400 on a Super Socket MB @ 100mhz bus was quite a bit quicker, used to play DVDs without any issues. Although I did upgrade to a AGP TNT2 M64.

15qt3rk.jpg

Next upgrade will be a Creative AWE64 (CT4500) which I'm hoping to get before the end of the week.

Reply 17 of 26, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this is starting to seem like a nice little system. It might not be the quickest for running those demanding 3D games, but it's perfect for so many thing.
Would be excellent for a long evening with popcorn and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 😀
Also, if you can find a Creative Dxr2 or Dxr3 board, it'll be perfectly capable of playing DVDs 😀

Reply 18 of 26, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LunarG wrote:

I think this is starting to seem like a nice little system. It might not be the quickest for running those demanding 3D games, but it's perfect for so many thing.
Would be excellent for a long evening with popcorn and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 😀
Also, if you can find a Creative Dxr2 or Dxr3 board, it'll be perfectly capable of playing DVDs 😀

Thanks 😀

Its pretty close to what I used to own back in 1998, minus a Super Socket 7 board with AGP. It's been fun. Looking forward to the sound card, then I can start playing some DOS Games.

I've seen a couple of DXR2/3 boards on ebay which are cheap, however none of them come with cables - Just the card itself. I'm assuming they are next to useless without the correct cables?

Reply 19 of 26, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I don't think they'll be very useful without the cables. I saw a full Creative DVD kit on ebay a while ago, with DVD-ROM, Dxr3 board and all the cables, software and such, brand new in box. Wasn't that cheap though. Not sure about what the passthrough cable is like. Might be possible to find the specs online and make one.