VOGONS

First post, by Automat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

perhaps a year ago i incidentally got a mainboard in my hands, which is truly one-of-a-kind i always wanted to build a system with: A dual S462 mainboard.
Finding the missing parts and building up this rig took approximately 11 months, but now i finished this project.
I catched two Athlon XP-M 2800+ for a few bucks at ebay, the memory was waiting for that in my cellar, the FX5900 was coworkers donation,... and so on.
This PC meets a system of the year 2003, so it runs Windows XP SP2 with 200 GB HDD and 2 GB RAM. It's really fast and responds each action really quickly.

Here are the pics:

17ixf3.jpg 2aqyd3.jpg

398axe.jpg 4wta8g.jpg

5idx5r.jpg 6zgyn5.jpg

7bhlb8.jpg

desktop1pgxvy.jpg

desktop22jlvc.jpg

The FX5900 is clocked like ultra, TombRaider Angel of Darkness is runnig smooth with full settings, even with 4x AA by driver.
All fans are adapted be 12V>7V adapters, so this PC is really quiet, although there are 5 fans working.

Reply 1 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool build,just the Pentium 4 case badge looks a bit off in there,seeing that the PC itself is a AMD.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 8, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great build. I bet Windows XP flys. I remember it running very well when I had a single 2800 Barton.

Nice work on such a shallow case. I've worked on a couple of these cases before and they are very tight! Esp on the kit you have in there.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great build, very tidy. Cables look well managed. I'm slowly collecting everything I need for a single-CPU Barton build and I'm looking forward to use a 5.25" fan controller panel instead of the internal adapters.

Reply 5 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duel CPU's are always cool!
And you have managed to keep the setup simple and clean (something I fail at)

Reply 6 of 8, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is one seriously clean, well-designed, professional-looking, XP system!
I am quite jealous!

What sound card is that?

You may be inspiring me to clean up my own legacy XP box.

Reply 7 of 8, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice!...and yes, very tidy...one recommendation I would make though is to cut out the extra metal (maybe with a hole saw) obstructing the air flow of the front and rear fan...it would reduce noise considerably as well.

...Oh...and maybe fill up that remaining 3.5" external drive bay with a second 1.44mb floppy drive or a zip drive.

Those are just small things though...it looks awesome!

Reply 8 of 8, by Liqu1d82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congratulations, great build - I'm currently working on ASUS CUV4X-D Dual Socket 370 to experiment even on BeOS / Haiku, along with Win2k and my Debian Linux: I was thinking of using 3 removable HDs and change them depending on usage.

sig.gif
Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.
http://liqu1d82.tumblr.com [My Tumblr] // https://twitter.com/Liqu1d82 [My Twitter]