VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been pretty quiet recently, mostly for real life reasons, but I finally managed to get everything I wanted in a Voodoo 2 setup. I've only just finished putting it together, hopefully in the next few days I will fine tune it, install 98se, games, and maybe a bit of an overclock. ^.^

First part is an Abit KA7-100. http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/abit/ka7-100.htm For those that don't know, this is THE top of the line motherboard for slot-A. I dare anyone to find a superior board. #1 feature is memory. Instead of standard pc100, this chipset will run the memory at 133fsb AND will interweave the modules. Also, this board has EVERY overclocking option ever thought of! (in 2000) Don't believe me? Check the review for yourself: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2000/05/23/abi … /1#.VBltY2TF8Qc

Sitting in the slot, is the rare K7 1ghz processor. I want to compare it to the athlon version, but I just haven't been able to find one. The major difference is the K7 has 512kb of 333mhz cache, where the A version has 256k of 1000 mhz cache.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … MNR53B%20A.html

Keeping the cpu cool is a permanently attached cooler master heatsink. I dont like it, but it gets the job done. I would just about pay any price for an Alpha p7125. I'm not proud to say that, but honestly its the one thing keeping me from saying this build is 100%.

Memory is occupied by 4x 256mb pc-133 cas- 2 Corsair modules. I "could" use 512mb dimms, but Win98 gets kinda funny past 1gb of ram, and I honestly think overclocking would suffer if I did.

The agp slot is currently in a bit of a limbo. I have several contenders for the slot, but current king of the hill is an AMD Rage Fury MAXX. Mostly because its only useable in windows 98 and EVERY other build I have is 2-cpu and that means windows 2000. I have several Matrox cards I can use, but I just haven't nailed down what I want. Feel free to chime in!

While the Motherboard has ide raid built in, I decided a single cheap sata drive would be better. The CD drive and floppy are just plain basic units, barely even worth mentioning.

Sound is provided by the legendary Diamond Monster MX300. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Diamon … Sound_MX300.jpg Attached is a NEC XR385 midi. http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3990/necxr … hasw60xgclo.jpg I don't know if it even works, but I got the pair from one auction off ebay so I guess i will find out here in a few days, eh?

Naturally, I have a pair of 12mb Voodoo 2 cards from Creative.

finally, a 3com NIC, because of reasons.

I saved the best for last. THE CASE. A month ago, I found FOR FREE, someone giving away their used Lian-Li case. When I arrived to pick it up, I could not hold back my excitement as I found out it was a PC-V1100 Plus. http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v1100-plus-ii/ I linked the 2nd version of the case, the one I got was the origional. I was so happy! I bought his big brother the V2100 back in 2002 for $350 and I still use it to this day! It had some crappy socket 939 board in it that got sold on ebay, but the case itself was in PRISTINE condition. The owner even kept the little screwdriver that installs the motherboard standoffs! Its not obvious in the pictures, but just about every square inch inside the case is lined with sound-deadening foam. I must add, it works perfectly, as this setup is dead silent.

So, first off, I install the motherboard:
ujUSIZel.jpg

Then I forget to take pictures... But this is the end result of the insides:
iTCFgzcl.jpg 0tXT7kNl.jpg

Right now the system posts and is basically waiting for me to find my old stack of cd's and get 98 installed. I have it somewhere, but I ended up not sleeping and its now 6am and I'm probably going to crash. 😜

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 9, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice build! I look forward to seeing it completed.

Just my input:

Graphics card; the Rage Fury Maxx is a nice card, I've owned 3 of them so far but have since sold them all. Great for collecting purposes but for use, there are better cards out there. Geforce 3 or 4?

CPU cooler; have a look at the Thermaltake Volcano series with the copper heatsink like the Volcano 7+. Great coolers and I'm pretty sure they fit your board. You could even get a copper Dynatron Microfin heatsink and change the fan over to a Noctua fan. The Dynatron fans are great for cooling but are super loud!

PS: your case has wheels!! Haha gone are the days where you had to carry a PC around....build and roll my friend! 😀

Reply 5 of 9, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice! Love that case 😀

I like the fact that your using rare parts, the AMD Athlon and the ATi Rage MaXX are quite hard to come by now. Any more photos closer inside? Can you post some 3DMark Benchmarks?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 6 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, what a gorgeous case!

I have the KT7-RAID, which is pretty much exactly the same except for socket A instead of slot. Spent hours and hours tweaking this thing. How are the caps on yours? Mine needs a complete recap.

Reply 7 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:

Wow, what a gorgeous case!

I have the KT7-RAID, which is pretty much exactly the same except for socket A instead of slot. Spent hours and hours tweaking this thing. How are the caps on yours? Mine needs a complete recap.

I actually got the board in 2011, and it needed a complete set of caps. I did the recap back then with nichicon golds and the board has been perfect since.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 9, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What an awesome case! I have a similiar build. Go for the Rage Fury Maxx!
It was the best decision for my Tualeron system!

This is my Rage Fury Maxx System:

Celeron 1200 Tualatin
512MB SD RAM
ATI Rage Fury MAXX
Creative Voodoo 2 SLI 24MB
Maxdata Artist 600 case

Again, awesome system! Love the Athlon K7 cpus! I only have a mere 800 Pluto 😀

I always install Windows 98 with less than 512MB or RAM. Then add more for the next boot.
I think it's a good way to get around that problem! I also recommend the Special Service Pack for Windows 98.
It adds support for more memory. One of my 98 Systems had 1.5GBs 😀