Post your 'current' PC

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 642, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

That is a nice looking PC you have there Darkman. I don't see many white cases that look good with black. Looks like you stole it somewhere from Policenauts.

it was surprisingly cheap too , does feel a little flimsy compared to the aluminium cases I have.

and you just gave me the urge to play Policenauts, great game,

Reply 22 of 642, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Main desktop is a Core i5 2500 with a Radeon 6970 in a CM HAF-X case.

[placeholder]

Secondary desktop is a Late 2009 iMac 27" (also used as a monitor for my main PC)

imac-late-2009-27-inch.jpg

Laptop is a Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13", upgraded to 8GB of RAM and 240GB SSD.

1643439471_143232367_o.jpg

I'll do pics of my main PC when I get home this evening, and get a chance to tidy up a bit! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 23 of 642, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

OMG I used to have that same case!

Was it Casecom? It was quite cheap but had features of expensive cases like rotated hard drive bays and lots of fans 😀

Yup!
http://www.casecom.com.tw/pc-case/gaming-3/6788.htm

Rosewill sells this model as the "Challenger". It is indeed cheap; I think I remember getting mine for about $40 or $50 off of Newegg a few years back. Decent build quality, though, with some nice features like screw-less drive bays and lots of spaces to place fans. 😀

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 24 of 642, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2017-12-02, 18:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 25 of 642, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have got

Intel Core i5 2500K at stock speed (never OCed it) Sandybridge.(with stock cooler for now)
2x4GB G-skill Ripjaws 1600mhz DDR3
Coolermaster HAF XM case without PSU cover.Upgraded it with sidepanel window.
MSI Z68A-GD65-G3
DVD-ROM drive from lite-on SATA black
Be quiet Dark power 750 watt GOLD PSU
MSI GTX660 OC 2GB TF edition (bought for a other build, but using it now on this build)
Also have the Auzentech X-forte soundcard, but hasnt been installed it for the moment, because earlier i had installed linux in dualboot.. That wont worked with that soundcard, so i removed it from this system.
It also got 2 SSDs.

One older samsung 830 256GB and a transcend 720SSD with 512GB space for games and steam games.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 26 of 642, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My current PC is from January 2012:
Asus P8H67
Intel i3-2100
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U
XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB
120GB Corsair Force 3
2TB Western Digital Green (added later)
Corsair v2 650W TX
Fractal Design Arc

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 27 of 642, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My PC is 2 months old:

Core i7 4790 (4x 3.60 GHz)
16 GB Kingston Hyper-X memory (2x 8GB)
Asus Z-97 Pro /w wifi ac
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Some 4GB GTX 770 (can't remember the brand)
Enermax Platimax PSU 600W
two old WD Black 500GB as RAID 0 taken from my old PC as trash storage
Antec Three hundred two case

I have almost the same pc a second time, but that one functions as a server. it has 32GB memory instead of 16GB and 3x4TB (RAID 5/Parity) and 4x2TB (RAID 10/Mirroring) disks as well as two Samsung 840 Pro 128GB as SSD Cache for the Software RAID (Windows Storage Pool) and one 512GB Samsung 840 Pro 512GB as virtual machine storage. This box has only a 500W Enermax Platimax PSU and is settled in a brand-new chieftec Mesh case (old-school looking but rock-solid).

IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

Reply 28 of 642, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting builds here. Interesting desktop cases too. It seems what would have been considered a 'gaming case' about 8 years ago, is now just a 'case'. 😊

It also seems beige is a thing of the past full stop? Unlike Black which came, went, then is back again, will beige ever be back again ? 😎

Interesting also, that specifications have quadrupled since my last build, and octrupled in terms of RAM.

I never was a fan of SATA data connections either, the size of them somewhat hinders their capacity to stay plugged in without being at an angle,or bent etc. I have had numerous problems at work with SATA cables that just plain dodgy because they don't sit properly. The ones with clips are the best, but even they can shift. 40 pins going into a long connectors doesn't often. 😐

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 29 of 642, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't have pics right now, but here are my specs:

Dual 6 core Xeon 5650 cpus, 2.6ghz speed
24GB ECC RAM (only 16GB showing for some reason)
Tyan server motherboard
2TB of disk
DVD RW drive
Radeon 7950
850W PSU (had a hard time finding something smaller that had the necessary cables for a dual proc system)

I learned my lesson and did NOT pay new prices for this stuff, I think I put it together for around $650. I think the graphics card was the only thing I paid even close to retail on. And the PSU, maybe, but I think I used a bunch of coupons/rebates on it. CPUs, motherboard and RAM were bought from Ebay or 2nd hand from server supply stores.

This is (or will be) my production machine once I get all the kinks worked out. My currently daily driver is an ancient Thinkpad.

Reply 33 of 642, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember having to pay 250-300 euro just to get enough RAM (2GB) for Vista + any random video game. Current prices aren't too bad since 8GB is still more than enough for average desktop tasks and video games. It would've been nice if they were as cheap as they were 14 months ago tho. It was a lot cheaper to go overkill on RAM a year ago.

Damn hynix fire. 😠

Reply 34 of 642, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

How can you guys afford 16GB of RAM at current prices? Around here, the cost has about doubled compared to prices in January 2012.

Well mine is used server RAM. I think I paid $120 for 24GB. The Xeon cpus were $135 each, motherboard I think about $100. It's only PCIe 2.0 and not 3, but I figure I only game at 1080p anyway, so figure I'm unlikely to ever notice it. Most of the non-gaming stuff I do is CPU-bound anyway. My HD I had from the last build, same with the graphics card, which I managed to get on sale before all the crypto-currency weenies drove prices up and made it impossible to find Radeon cards. Good news is, now I can pick up a 2nd one for peanuts, bad news is I only have the 1 PCIe 2.0 x16 slot so I don't think I have the proper bandwidth to get much out of an SLI setup.

Reply 35 of 642, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RAM prices increased because the industry solved their overcapacity problem. Now with DDR4 coming out, prices will increase even more. DDR3 has been around for a LONG time compared to past standards, so there was a glut at one point that caused prices to crash.

Reply 36 of 642, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

ThinkPads are great!

Fistbump. Thinkpads FTW my friend. I'm pretty sure I'll get 10-15 years out of mine if I baby it. Will have to switch to DSL Linux or some other small distro and virtualize the most recent, least piggy version of Windows at that point though. Win 10 is probably the last OS that will run on it, unless memory requirements have tailed off. The old Thinkpads and the newer X, T and W series are built like tanks.

Reply 37 of 642, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMG_2057_zps31bb6717.jpg

IMG_2058_zpsde32cf14.jpg

Mb:Asus P5Q socket 775 intel P45 chipset
Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2,8ghz OC to 3,8ghz
Cooler:Tuniq Tower 120
Mem:6gb ddram 2
Video:EVGA Gtx 760 2giga mem
SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 120 gb
Hdd:Western Digital Caviar Blue 640gb 7200rpm
Sound:Creative X-Fi Extreme Music
Case:Enermax Chakra with a added card reader.
Psu:Sirtec 560w modular psu with inbuild wattage meter
Monitor:Dell U2312HM

The system also has a ide LG dvd writter gsa-4165b and a WinFast TVtuner TV2000xp Expert

Reply 38 of 642, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nahkri wrote:
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag385/magix_2001/IMG_2057_zps31bb6717.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG_2057_zps31bb6717.jpg

IMG_2058_zpsde32cf14.jpg

Mb:Asus P5Q socket 775 intel P45 chipset
Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2,8ghz OC to 3,8ghz
Cooler:Tuniq Tower 120
Mem:6gb ddram 2
Video:EVGA Gtx 760 2giga mem
SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 120 gb
Hdd:Western Digital Caviar Blue 640gb 7200rpm
Sound:Creative X-Fi Extreme Music
Case:Enermax Chakra with a added card reader.
Psu:Sirtec 560w modular psu with inbuild wattage meter
Monitor:Dell U2312HM

The system also has a ide LG dvd writter gsa-4165b and a WinFast TVtuner TV2000xp Expert

hay you have a very similar K6-2 system to mine, do you have nfs high stakes installed and does it run smoothly? see my post: Re: NFS4 (High Stakes) playability on Voodoo 3 3000

sorry for off-topic, nice system btw. even if it's not the most recent. socket 775 era was a good time.

Reply 39 of 642, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nemail wrote:

hay you have a very similar K6-2 system to mine, do you have nfs high stakes installed and does it run smoothly? see my post: Re: NFS4 (High Stakes) playability on Voodoo 3 3000

Never tried nfs4 high stakes on this pc,if i do i'll let you know how it runs.