VOGONS

Post your 'current' PC

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 642, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just threw this together for $55.00 - it's pretty much replaced my old HP laptop with the failing keyboard and hinges. I like this a lot better and the performance is much better as well...plus it fits right in with my old beige Pre-Pentium beasts. This is probably the most bare-bones, basic system I've ever built, but compared to everything else in the house, it screams along nice and fast. Moved the 4GB from the laptop to the other laptop, and move the 500GB SSD from that same laptop to this and xferred my W10 license to it - where it shall stay for a very long time.

CASE: InWin D500 mATX Desktop Chassis
PSU: InWin 240 Watt mATX
MoBo: Intel Desktop Board DQ45CB mATX LG775 System Board
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz P8800
RAM: 4GB DDR-2 800 MHz
HDD: 500GB SATA SSD
ODD: SATA CD-RW/DVD-RW combo
GFX: On-board Intel
SND: On-Board SoundMax
NET: Gigabit On-Board intel
O/S: Windows 10 x64 Professional

Attachments

• IMG_20170126_173546057.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170126_173546057.jpg
    File size
    250.14 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Close up face to face
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20170126_172306616.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170126_172306616.jpg
    File size
    155 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    inside
    File license
  • IMG_20170126_172922843.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170126_172922843.jpg
    File size
    115.65 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    My NEW Current PC
    File license

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 381 of 642, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

I'll join the fray 😵 , was planning to post earlier but was kinda busy with the upgrade of my current computer.
The new setup is meant to stay at stock specs (mostly) and get it as quiet as possible. Nanoxia Fans Are rather quiet and have nice cfm at that (all it took was 4x 120 and 2x 140 fans 🤣 )

Old setup: (build in 2010 or 2011)
Case: Cooler Master 550 Silencio
Mobo: MSI H61M-P31/W8 (my old mobo broke down last year and couldn't afford a decent replacement back then)
CPU: Intel 2600K Sandy
Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury blu 2x 4Gb DDR 3
GPU: Asus Geforce 960 GTX (updated last year same reason as mobo)
HD: Samsung EVO 850 256GB (Replaced my old raid 1 2x 128 GB corsairs)
ODD: Blue-ray RW

New setup as ofnow: (max Db = 14,2 Db)
Case: Nanoxia deep silence 2
Mobo: Asus ROG X99 Strix gaming (had to choose between the Asus X99-A II and the strix, difference was only €40 so couldn't resist)
CPU: Intel I7 5930K + intel water cooling (got this one cheap this week, only reason I upgraded in the first place)
Ram: Kingston HyperX Savage 2x 8gb 2400mhz ddr4 (will add another 2x8 soon for quad channel even though its useless)
GPU: Asus Geforce 960 GTX (will keep an eye out for another 960 GTX for SLI, will only buy one for less then €60,- otherwise save up for a 30xx series next year)
HD: Samsung EVO 850 256 GB (not broken, will replace with M2 when it breaks)
ODD: blue-ray RW
PSU: Corsair TX850W (maybe get a new one later this year for a full modular one, since this one has VERY poor cable management)

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-02-10, 04:42. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 382 of 642, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
LunarG wrote:
Oh wow. I've forgotten all about this thread. I was going to post my "new" system here back when it was actually new, but oh wel […]
Show full quote

Oh wow. I've forgotten all about this thread.
I was going to post my "new" system here back when it was actually new, but oh well, it doesn't matter. It is still my current PC.

Leak testing.jpg

Testing the system for leaks.

looks cute 😊

Reply 383 of 642, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:

That's actually a cool case you've got there. I didn't know standard desktop cases that new existed.

Reply 384 of 642, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
creepingnet wrote:

That's actually a cool case you've got there. I didn't know standard desktop cases that new existed.

I was quite shocked myself TBH, I found it at RE-PC in Tukwila whilst looking for a beige AT Case to replace the XT one for my 486 as the PSU died in it, I wound up replacing the PSU instead (and making some massive upgrades in progress, a few of which I completed tonight).

I love old beige lay-flat desktops, especially for what I Do, part of my past-time is music production, and I do burn quite a few CD's of my work so it's nice to have the burner right there in front of you, instead of behind you.

I'll say this, this is the most sparse PC I ever put \together, so much was integrated I had no need to purchase any hardware. Still need to get rid of the Dentist Office logo at boot though, 🤣.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 385 of 642, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:
I was quite shocked myself TBH, I found it at RE-PC in Tukwila whilst looking for a beige AT Case to replace the XT one for my 4 […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
creepingnet wrote:

I was quite shocked myself TBH, I found it at RE-PC in Tukwila whilst looking for a beige AT Case to replace the XT one for my 486 as the PSU died in it, I wound up replacing the PSU instead (and making some massive upgrades in progress, a few of which I completed tonight).

I love old beige lay-flat desktops, especially for what I Do, part of my past-time is music production, and I do burn quite a few CD's of my work so it's nice to have the burner right there in front of you, instead of behind you.

I'll say this, this is the most sparse PC I ever put \together, so much was integrated I had no need to purchase any hardware. Still need to get rid of the Dentist Office logo at boot though, 🤣.

My main desktop uses a Socket FM2 mini ITX board. If I ever upgrade to a different board, I'm thinking of taking my current board and swapping the Athlon 860k for an APU. Then, with a suitable low-profile cooler I should be able to throw it into any case I want. A modern desktop case strong enough to support a TV would be really cool to have.

Reply 386 of 642, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There a pic of my current rig on the inside

Specs:
Intel Core i5 2500K
Cooler Master Hyper 412S
12 GB DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX
ASUS Z77-A
Gigabyte GTX 660 2 GB OC
WD Green 1 TB HDD + Samsung 1 TB HDD
Antec Truepower new 650 watt
Windows 10 Pro

Well, my cable management sucks, especially with this case

Attachments

• 20161011_185805.jpg
    Filename
    20161011_185805.jpg
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Views
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 387 of 642, by copados33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My current waste of electric power, this is the machine I use for my "heavy" gaming, video editing and web browsing, I also have an HTPC which I use for watching series and play emulators on the TV.

100_3331_zpscmqxhmun.jpg

Intel Core i7 6800k
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
Corsair H115i hydro series
32gb 8x4 DDR4 3200 G-Skill Trident z
512gb crucial SSD
AMD R9 290X 4gb GDDR5 gpu
2tb WD red HDD
Antec Quatron 1000W psu
Generic DVD/RW drive
NZXT H630 silent full tower case.

and at last but not least my trusty $0.5 Genius microphone 🤣 🤣

Reply 388 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
copados33 wrote:
My current waste of electric power, this is the machine I use for my "heavy" gaming, video editing and web browsing, I also have […]
Show full quote

My current waste of electric power, this is the machine I use for my "heavy" gaming, video editing and web browsing, I also have an HTPC which I use for watching series and play emulators on the TV.

<snip>[/url]

Intel Core i7 6800k
512gb crucial SSD
2tb WD red HDD
Antec Quatron 1000W psu
Generic DVD/RW drive

Is that a stock R9 290X? I bet that's a screamer.. they usually sound worse than vacuum cleaners with the stock cooler.

Reply 390 of 642, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
copados33 wrote:
My current waste of electric power, this is the machine I use for my "heavy" gaming, video editing and web browsing, I also have […]
Show full quote

My current waste of electric power, this is the machine I use for my "heavy" gaming, video editing and web browsing, I also have an HTPC which I use for watching series and play emulators.

Intel Core i7 6800k
512gb crucial SSD
2tb WD red HDD
Antec Quatron 1000W psu
Generic DVD/RW drive

Looks very clean, missing get some parts though. Could you post pictures with it running? What's the size of that intake fan 😲 ?

Reply 391 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
copados33 wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Is that a stock R9 290X? I bet that's a screamer.. they usually sound worse than vacuum cleaners with the stock cooler.

It is, hence the "NZXT H630 silent case" 🤣

I don't think there's any case that exists in the world that can silence a stock R9 290X. They're quite literally one of the loudest video cards ever sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o

Reply 392 of 642, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
copados33 wrote:
kithylin wrote:

It is, hence the "NZXT H630 silent case" 🤣

I don't think there's any case that exists in the world that can silence a stock R9 290X. They're quite literally one of the loudest video cards ever sold.

Doesn't beat out the dust buster though 🤣

Reply 393 of 642, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Omg, my lawnmower makes less noise then this.... what's the bloody CFM on that thing 😠
Jokes aside what sound insulation are you using to silence that 60 Db monster....

Reply 394 of 642, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

yikes that's loud. One of the many reasons why I don't do anything with modern systems.

Add that 290 to my buy only for a busting ears drums or heater list 🤣

Although I do have a hdd that could give it a run for its money.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-06-11, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 395 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

yikes that's loud. One of the many reasons why I don't do anything with modern systems.

Add that 290 to my buy only for a blessing ears or heater list 🤣

Although I do have a hdd that could give it a run for its money.

It should be noted that this in the video above is the -STOCK- cooler. I have a aftermarket R9 290X with a huge 12.5" 3-fan cooler on it that's like 40db @ 100% fans, and whisper-silent at 80% and below. Aftermarket 290's and 290X's are -awesome-, great performance and can usually be had for about $200 today used.

Reply 396 of 642, by ShinOBIWAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's my current PC hidden away in my gaming room in the loft. I value silence so have a bunch of water cooling parts to that end. Nice ITX build with no compromise on performance. Connected to

Case: NZXT Manta
Motherboard: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ITX
CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.9GHz
RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Founders Edition (2080Mhz Core, 10.4Ghz Memory)
HDD: (boot:) Samsung 950 Pro 250Gb M.2 (install:) Samsung 500Gb Samsung 840 Evo (Storage:) 4Tb Seagate
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Watercooling Stuff:
CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO (Acetal + Nickel)
GPU Block: EK 1080 (Acetal + Nickel)
Rads: EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual) + EK-CoolStream SE 120 (Single)
Pump: EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM
Coolant: Mayhems Pastels Pure Black

WP_20160629_09_42_45_Pro.jpg
Filename
WP_20160629_09_42_45_Pro.jpg
File size
416.61 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20160629_09_43_19_Pro.jpg
Filename
WP_20160629_09_43_19_Pro.jpg
File size
499.93 KiB
Views
File license

Its hooked up to a 4k LG 65" OLED and games look great.

WP_20170316_16_52_22_Pro.jpg
Filename
WP_20170316_16_52_22_Pro.jpg
File size
261.87 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 397 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShinOBIWAN wrote:
....... […]
Show full quote

Watercooling Stuff:
CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO (Acetal + Nickel)
GPU Block: EK 1080 (Acetal + Nickel)
Rads: EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual) + EK-CoolStream SE 120 (Single)
Pump: EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM
Coolant: Mayhems Pastels Pure Black

Its hooked up to a 4k LG 65" OLED and games look great.

Really nice system! Which tubing did you use? was it clear tubing with black dyes?

Reply 398 of 642, by ShinOBIWAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:

Really nice system! Which tubing did you use? was it clear tubing with black dyes?

Thanks!

I wanted a black and unassuming look so I went with black tubing from EK. Specifically:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/tube-primochill-pri … black-retail-3m

This worked out great and was just the sort of understated look I was after. The case doesn't have a window either so unless you open it up you'd have no idea it was watercooled except for the complete lack of noise. Really the system is completely silent on the desktop and extremely quiet whilst at full load/gaming.

Reply 399 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShinOBIWAN wrote:
Thanks! […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:

Thanks!

I wanted a black and unassuming look so I went with black tubing from EK. Specifically:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/tube-primochill-pri … black-retail-3m

This worked out great and was just the sort of understated look I was after. The case doesn't have a window either so unless you open it up you'd have no idea it was watercooled except for the complete lack of noise. Really the system is completely silent on the desktop and extremely quiet whilst at full load/gaming.

Neato. I too really like silence, it's why most of my machines are water cooled as much as possible. Also allows the machines to tolerate much higher ambient temperatures in the same room, so that's nice too.

Mayhem is really weird. They explicitly state on their page that the Mayhem "Extreme" series of coolants are -not- compatible with PrimoChill Advanced LRT, but yet the normal Mayhem Pure Black doesn't have that warning. Sure is a confusing company. A few years ago Mayhem's coolants and dyes were temporary show use only and had to be drained and flushed very frequently.. but I went and read their page and some of their coolants are now rated for 3 years daily usage in a system with no draining. So they've changed, apparently. Gave me a chance to read up about the current state of Mayhem systems.