My retro rigs

Topic actions

First post, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello.

I have been reading this forum fo quite some time and today I decided to join the Vogons community. I have a lot of PC components starting in the 386 era and up to the present time. Most of these are on my web, but not all of them (no time to take photos and upload them 😀).

Apart of the HW stuff I also have few complete oldschool computers and laptops. The first (and oldest) one is my Voodoo5 build. Over the years there were many upgrades and changes... and now it has reached the final state - there is simply nothing to upgrade anymore. 😁

Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
Epox 8K5A3+ (VIA KT333)
Voodoo5 5500 AGP (with Sunon MagLev fans)
2x 256 MB Kingston HyperX - running at 333 MHz CL2-2-2-6
SB Live! 5.1 Platinum with front panel
Adaptec 29160N SCSI controller
Seagate 18 GB / 15k rpm
2x Maxtor 36 GB / 10k rpm
FSP 280W PSU
Windows 98SE + XP dualboot
Transparent plexi case, my own design

axp3000_cpuidwqakv.png

mb7qyrt.jpg

ramt7xls.jpg

idebnatt.jpg

v5k0xzx.jpg

sb8oatz.jpg

29160n2nzkq.jpg

hdd49bue.jpg

bednaitlmt.jpg

celek_2mjza3.jpg

celekq6zbi.jpg

I hope you like the photos, more retro PCs are coming later. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 2 of 14, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:

Hello.

and now it has reached the final state - there is simply nothing to upgrade anymore. 😁

Actually u could upgrade the processor to a 3200+ and the mainboard to something with nforce2 ultra.

Reply 3 of 14, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nahkri wrote:

Actually u could upgrade the processor to a 3200+ and the mainboard to something with nforce2 ultra.

3200+ would be fairly minimal performance boost (if the board even supports 400FSB), and afaik nForce 2 doesn't do 3.3V AGP. 😊

To havli: very nice build you've got there indeed. I was wondering why none of the cards had I/O shields and then saw the case. 😲 Did that take very long to build?

Reply 4 of 14, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fantastic looking machine, thanks for sharing!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 5 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you 😀

I started building this case back in 2008 - I had plenty of free time then. Still it took dozens of hours to build.
Yeah - the I/O shield is part of the case and cards must be mounted directly. It isn't very flexible when changing HW configuration of the PC. And I did that couple if times already, this is photo of the original I/O plate. Instead of the 29160N and SB Live! there were two Voodoo2 accelerators and LAN card at the bottom.

pict8074ups70.jpg

As for the Barton 3200+ upgrade:
I need MB with AGP 2x (3,3V) support for the Voodoo5. The most modern chipsets supporting it are VIA KT333, SiS 745 (both Athlon XP) and SiS 645 (P4 Northwood). I have tested all of them and the KT333 seems to be the best... plus Epox 8K5A3+ is the best KT333 board. 😁
Barton 3200+ should work there, but KT333 doesn't have AGP/PCI divider for FSB 400. I don't want to risk damage to the V5 with raised AGP clock. The best option for CPU upgrade would be unlocked AXP-M running at 2,4+ GHz and still keeping FSB 333.
http://www.abload.de/img/epox_xp-m6s37k.png (testing of FSB 400 when I bought the board)

NForce2 boards can be modded to work with Voodoo5 AGP, but thats not what I want. Also I believe the possibility of damaging both V5 and MB is quite significant in the long term.

Reply 6 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always wondered what happened to these see-through cases. I remember seeing them for sale around 2005 or so but they seem to have disappeared.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 14, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beautiful case, havli! You made that yourself? Must've taken a long time to get it built.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 9 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it is my own design. Basically classic midi-tower, just a bit longer. Nothing special (apart of the material). 😀
I don't remember how long exactly it took to build... but it was a lot. Acrylic glass is tricky material to work with.

Reply 10 of 14, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

I always wondered what happened to these see-through cases. I remember seeing them for sale around 2005 or so but they seem to have disappeared.

I recall seeing some clear acrylic mid-towers by Logisys on Newegg around a couple years ago. I went to check and see if Newegg still had them and they're no longer on there! 😒

Reply 11 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaDangerDen wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

I recall seeing some clear acrylic mid-towers by Logisys on Newegg around a couple years ago. I went to check and see if Newegg still had them and they're no longer on there! 😒

I once had one of those cases, very nice but good luck keeping them clean and can get scratched. Amazon might have one here or there.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12 of 14, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Incredible setup! I love it
It's superb! I hope to do a similar platform in the future
Is very hard to find a Voodoo 5 at a good price and even more difficult to find a good VIA KT333 mainboard
I'm very interested about your case
how you open it?

Reply 13 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, Voodoo5 is very expensive nowadays. Too bad I was too lazy to get few spare while the were still affordable. At the moment I have "only" three - one AGP, one PCI and one defective AGP which need primary VSA-100 replaced.

The case is actually very easy to open/close. There are 16 M4 bolts holding the left side, nuts are soldered from the inside to 8 metal parts visible at the photo. (sorry, I'm not very good at describing construction details in english 🤣 )
Classic home-made design I would say. No glue, only bolts... many. If necessary this case can be disassembled.

Reply 14 of 14, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool. One of my friends in NL used to impress everyone at LAN parties with a case like that with lots of LEDs.

I had an ABII DiGiDiCe: another friend of mine designed it so I got it really cheap. It was a really cool barebone.