VOGONS

Tex's new Socket 7 DOS machine

Topic actions

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just couldn't live without one. After moving to live in the UK, i missed it so much that i had to assemble a new DOS build. Specs to follow:

Case:
Gigabyte GZ-X1

WP_20141120_0021_zpseb9a5937.jpg

Amazingly, this case does not include a RESET button. WTF??? Anyway, i'll work it out. It's easy to get a reset button in there, i was just shocked it does not.

PSU:
Corsair CX-430

2c1ee36d-8c72-4b84-9cf8-2c516a1a5e6b_zpsa4175dcf.jpg?t=1417299811

Won this new PSU in an eBay auction. It's new, only the box was damaged. Overkill i know but whatever.

Motherboard:
QDI Titanium IIB

WP_20141017_0011_zps4766222a.jpg

I love QDI motherboards. This is not a Super 7 board, it is based on the Intel Triton chipset. Probably the best chipset for Socket 7 IMHO. Board will be flashed to support K6+ CPU's.

CPU:
AMD K6-III+ ATZ

image?format=raw&type=orig&id=3936

What more to say? Awesome CPU, runs cool. The motherboard will be feeding 2.0V and it's gonna run 6x66MHz = 400MHz.

Graphics card:
S3 Trio 64V+

765taiwanf.jpg

I just trust these cards, good output quality and specially great DOS compatibility. Even some of those pesky EGA games like Keen.

Sound Cards:
Gravis Ultrasound Classic
Pro Audio Spectrum Plus
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Yamaha YMF-719 + 704C

WP_20141117_0021_zpsa6e95dcf.jpg
WP_20141117_0031_zps3d25262f.jpg

FM is supposed to come through the YMF card or Pro Audio Spectrum when games support it. The PAS card is not a substitute to the original dual OPL2 card the 8bit Pro Audio Spectrum. This is the card i really want here but, unfortunately it is extremely rare.
I can't think of a retro build now without a Gravis Ultrasound. I love them and its awesome for the games that natively support it. The Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold is there for it s EMU8000 synth only, i don't give a damn about its Sound Blaster capabilities. I might or not use its 16bit DAC.

The YMF-719 chipset works wonders with SoftMPU so there won't be any troubles using this:

WP_20141020_0011_zps33abec7b.jpg

Hard-Drive:
4GB CF card with Startech CF to IDE adapter

35BAYCF2IDE.Main.jpg

Using CF cards just makes it easy. It's a DOS only machine so i'm not worried. There's no moving parts so its silent.

Floppy Drives:
TEAC FD-55GFR 1.2MB 5.25 inch
TEAC FD-235HF 1.44MB 3.5 inch

WP_20141126_0071_zps268e2374.jpg

TEAC drives are reliable. Nuff' said.

Optical:
TSST corp SH-D162

WP_20141126_0041_zpsea9325c9.jpg?t=1417215633

These drives are reliable and work well with CD Be Quiet. Ensures nice silent operation. And it's black to go with the case.

ZIP:
ATAPI Iomega Zip 250

L11896321.jpg

I like zip drives their a good way to move data from one place to another. Much more reliable that floppy drives.

Gotek Floppy Drive

This is something i have to buy yet, and something that i find quite useful today. Always good to have one.

Gonna use some round IDE cables to tidy everything. Probably gonna get a better cooler and a silent fan.
Some of the stuff hasn't arrived yet..

Reply 1 of 81, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a very good looking motherboard. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

how low can the voltage be regulated ? 2,1 2,0 Volt ?

2.0V is the lowest.

Skyscraper wrote:

That is a very good looking motherboard. 😀

Its got a good layout and best of all... 4 freakin' ISA slots. I actually might get a Voodoo 2 in there for Glide DOS games. I had fun back in the day playing Screamer Rally.

Reply 4 of 81, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice project!

I have that case as well 😀 It's my capture PC in my computer lab.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Very nice project!

I have that case as well 😀 It's my capture PC in my computer lab.

Thanks Phil. No doubt we're 2 Socket 7 snobs here on Vogons. 😀

retrofanatic wrote:

I think i have that same corsair power supply...if im not mistaken it does not have the -5v rail...is the lack of -5v rail going to affect your build?

Not at all. The Pro Audio Spectrum Plus 650-0014 does not need the -5V rail. I'm not sure if the original 8bit Pro Audio Spectrum does need it, but if one day i find one i won't let negative 5 volts get in my way. I might ask Fabian (Amoretro) if it does. He's one of the few among us who owns one of those beauties.

There isn't any other card that i plan to use that will need -5V. If i had a LAPC-I i'd rather trade that for another CM-32L.

Reply 7 of 81, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I like zip drives their a good way to move data from one place to another. Much more reliable that floppy drives.

For a while, I thought I was the only person who thinks this as well 😎

Reply 9 of 81, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

I think i have that same corsair power supply...if im not mistaken it does not have the -5v rail...is the lack of -5v rail going to affect your build?

I might ask Fabian (Amoretro) if it does. He's one of the few among us who owns one of those

Actually I own an original PAS 8 bit, in the original box but I don't know how to check if it needs the -5v rail. If you need me to check, let me know what to look for and I'll let you know.

Great build btw.

Reply 10 of 81, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build project. I bought a new Gigabyte case recently for a DOS system and I also noticed it doesn't have a reset button - it seems it's a feature that's disappearing from modern cases.

What is that "CD Be Quiet" stuff? I've just put a modern-ish IDE DVD writer in my DOS system and noticed it can be really noisy for CD-Rom games. How does this work?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 12 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

Actually I own an original PAS 8 bit, in the original box but I don't know how to check if it needs the -5v rail. If you need me to check, let me know what to look for and I'll let you know.
Great build btw.

Wow i wish i had one too, if you can check it i would appreciate it. If you take a picture of the back of the card and post it here i could see it.

MMaximus wrote:

Nice build project. I bought a new Gigabyte case recently for a DOS system and I also noticed it doesn't have a reset button - it seems it's a feature that's disappearing from modern cases.

What is that "CD Be Quiet" stuff? I've just put a modern-ish IDE DVD writer in my DOS system and noticed it can be really noisy for CD-Rom games. How does this work?

CD Be Quiet is a DOS Tool that sends an ATA command to the drive to limit its spindle speed.

http://cdbq.dosforum.de/

zstandig wrote:

Mmm...yeah, I'm quite a fan of round IDE and Floppy cables.

Unfortunately i will have to use a ribbon floppy cable as i'm using a 5.25inch drive.

Reply 14 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

great! you are back on the track my friend! 😁

Well you did prophesized that i would eventually build one. And you were right. I had to do it. So thank you Keropi!!! 😎

Reply 15 of 81, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice Build! The 4 soundcard combo is very cool. Just wondering what is the normal General Midi device? The OPL4? Quite rare to see the OPL4 actually mounted together with the OPL3-SAX chip.

About the QDI Titanium IIB. Being an i430TX in ATX format, I was considering to buy one earlier this year. IIRC 'Anonymous Coward' wrote somewhere in Vogons that he did not like this particular IIB jumperfree BIOS much; So I let it go... Fiddling with CPU/FSB/Voltage jumpers is the thing for me anyways. Of course for most users this should not matter. 😀

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 16 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Nice Build! The 4 soundcard combo is very cool. Just wondering what is the normal General Midi device? The OPL4? Quite rare to see the OPL4 actually mounted together with the OPL3-SAX chip.

About the QDI Titanium IIB. Being an i430TX in ATX format, I was considering to buy one earlier this year. IIRC 'Anonymous Coward' wrote somewhere in Vogons that he did not like this particular IIB jumperfree BIOS much; So I let it go... Fiddling with CPU/FSB/Voltage jumpers is the thing for me anyways. Of course for most users this should not matter. 😀

I haven't got a chance to test the Yamaha card yet as the system is not ready and there are still parts to arrive. I'm sure the YMF-704C won't be impressing much with its GM capabilities, specially because it has a very limited amount of memory. I will try to find a Yamaha MU-10 later maybe.
What's funny about this card is that it is actually a dual OPL3 card. Both the YMF-704C and the YMF-719S contain integrated genuine OPL3's.

http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/735298/ … age=6#datasheet

Actually i want to stack up on these boards. I love my QDI Titanium IB+ but that's on an AT format. I actually like the jumperless settings, i find it easier to deal with, specially because this will be a slow/fast DOS build. No board is perfect but i like these. BTW, if you come across a QDI Titanium IIB let me know cause i will need a spare at least.

Reply 17 of 81, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, I knew the bug will bite you again 😉
good thinking on having spares, I too have a couple of my favorite ss7 mobo: the HOT-591p . One thing I like is that you can create a duplicate setup in another place and just clone the HDD 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 18 of 81, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks great & not too dissimilar to my tx/k6-3+ machine. Any plans for a Voodoo1 in there?

I have been running the K6-3+ at 75*6= 450 for a while now and it's rock solid, another thing to consider.

Reply 19 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Looks great & not too dissimilar to my tx/k6-3+ machine. Any plans for a Voodoo1 in there?

I have been running the K6-3+ at 75*6= 450 for a while now and it's rock solid, another thing to consider.

Actually i was planning for a Voodoo 2, to play some games i used to play in my late DOS years like Screamer Rally and Grand Theft Auto 1.

I'm not surprised that you can run it at 75*6 rock solid, TX chipset is very good. I'm was actually wondering if 83*6 would be too much because of PCI bus. I don't know if the board will do a 2 divider on the PCI bus or a 3. If divided by 3 it will lose a bit od PCI bandwith and if by 2, 41,5MHz might be too much for the PCI cards to handle.

Either way system will only run that fast when i need it too. I'm actually wondering how slow can i get it to work, 50*2 plus all caches disabled. Probably around a 386DX-25 which would be awesome.