VOGONS

First post, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey folks,
Just got this all setup and ready for 98SE. Its a Dell Inspiron 8000, ATI Mobility 4 32mb video, 20GB Travelstar HDD, maxed at 512 RAM, upgraded processor to 1.0ghz P3.

Filename
Laptop.JPG
File size
2.44 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Did have a few issues I had to work out. Onboard NIC isn't working, hardwire and wireless, and none of the built in mouse buttons work.
So I added in a USB mouse, Dynex DX-E202 NIC adapter, and an untested PNY Versacard Flashmemory Adapter, both adapters are PCMCIA.

Filename
Accessories.JPG
File size
2.57 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Comments welcome 😀

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 1 of 3, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
(just passing here)

I had a Dell Inspiron 8000 years ago, now it is dead

For the onboard NIC, behind the connector, there is just a cable that go to the MiniPCI compartment accessible by a door on the underside.
You just have to replace the card
Actually, I got it with just a MiniPCI 56k modem and plastic filling in the RJ-45 connector. I replaced the modem by a 3com NIC to enable this connector.

I never managed to make its onboad sound working in pure DOS

It can be easily hack into a Latitude C800 to use C/Dock II that add 2 PCI slot

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 3 of 3, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
StickByDos wrote:
Hello, (just passing here) […]
Show full quote

Hello,
(just passing here)

I had a Dell Inspiron 8000 years ago, now it is dead

For the onboard NIC, behind the connector, there is just a cable that go to the MiniPCI compartment accessible by a door on the underside.
You just have to replace the card
Actually, I got it with just a MiniPCI 56k modem and plastic filling in the RJ-45 connector. I replaced the modem by a 3com NIC to enable this connector.

I never managed to make its onboad sound working in pure DOS

It can be easily hack into a Latitude C800 to use C/Dock II that add 2 PCI slot

The card that is there is for the wireless. The NIC and modem are both on the motherboard, but I will take another look at it.

cdoublejj wrote:

you can get 2.5" IDE SSDs now. that would drop the access times times and latency

Not real worried on the overall HDD performance, just a small setup for some old gaming. Maybe in the future I will go that route but I have the PCMCIA/CF adapter to test out at the present time.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs