VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This box started off as an exercise to create a linux box to use free software for music creation and recording, based around a Soyo P4 845ISA s478 motherboard with a Pentium 4 and 2gb ram [most the board can handle] - fastest stuff I have as spares. The P4 is a 2.8ghz with hyper-threading; can vary the multiplier from 15 to 21 [2gz to 2.8ghz]; guess it's a northwood.

Sound card is an M-Audio 2496 Delta Audiophile, which seemed to have the capabilities needed for music stuff and linux drivers too. I'm not the musician, I only dabble, this aspect of the machine is kind-of-for-my-son if he gets round to it - the idea was something fanless with a decent soundcard for recording, able to run rosegarden at least.

CPU heat sink is a Sonic Tower that I had bought years ago as NOS - so I avoid a cpu fan

I tried a few graphics cards but settled on a supposedl-NOS FX5500 I had bought which turned out to have a rusted-solid fan. Removed that and stuck an old AM2 heatsink on the gpu with thermal tape - so I have no gpu fan

The hard drive I used turned out to have Windows 2000 already on it in a couple of small partitions [2gb, 20gb], so that stayed. The rest was given over to Debian - installed via Windows over the web.

To add capacity I've installed an Icybox SATA enclosure which attaches to a cheap pci sata card from Hong Kong. Icybox means I have an easily-removable sata drive in a box that has a power adapter and a usb socket [I think!].

Both debian and 2000 have drivers for the onboard network, so no issues with connectivity.

Eventually I started wondering about the unused ISA slots - realised that although Windows 98 would have issues with the 2gb ram, DOS would not so the box could double up as a dos box. So, I added an IDE/CF adapter to the main hard drive's IDE cable, with a 2gb compact flash card. Temporarily attached a floppy drive so I could install DOS 6.22 to the CF card. The CF card already had PAS16 drivers on it, so I dug out my PAS16 to get the machine operational quickly for some dos gaming. Needed to reserve IRQ5 and DMA1 for legacy ISA in the bios to get sound from it in DOS; works fine and sounds great.

Rebooting and running update-grub I now have a triple boot system:

Debian
Windows 2000
DOS 6.22

with this current spec:

Pentium 4 QRG4 ES + Sonic Tower hsf
Soyo 845 ISA motherboard [agp 8x, 4 pci, 3 isa]
2gb ram

FX5500 with AM2 cpu heatsink

M-Audio 2496 Audiophile
PAS 16

SATA pci card + sata icybox
DVD writer
IDE hard drive
CF card

Antec GX700 "rugged" case - they were going cheap 😉
FSP Blue Storm PSU

Unfortunately the AM2 heatsink blocks 2 pci slots or I might have thought about a second graphics card.

Reply 1 of 13, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice mashup of parts, you should post some pics of it! So what is the disk layout like exactly? Is this right?

Grub bootloader
Primary - Windows 2000
Secondary - Debian
and then a CF with DOS 6.22?

Was curious why you went with a CF card for DOS instead of just chopping the drive up a bit more and putting DOS on its own partition?

Reply 2 of 13, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

Soyo 845 ISA motherboard [agp 8x, 4 pci, 3 isa]

...NOW I'm interested. Pics please!

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 13, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

The Soyo P4 board is very likely this one:

http://www.baber.com/baber/411/soyo_sy-p4i-845pe-isa.htm

For a time I really wanted this motherboard, but seeing how expensive it was I eventually settled for the standard P4I-845PE (which I still have).

@ratfink: There are FX5500 cards with just a passive heatsink that's also low-profile. This is the one I have:

jPGOySgh.png EbXgx2Oh.png
fTZgPKih.png

A card like this would allow you to regain use of the two PCI slots currently blocked by the AM2 heatsink.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 13, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you want a completely passively cooled box? With a P4? Not saying it isn't possible, but I don't think sticking a couple of huge passive heatsinks in a standard ATX case is gonna work.

Even a little bit of airflow helps a huge amount, and IMO a completely quiet computer isn't necessary for music work. I've recorded in my office with my not-loud-but-not-really-quiet-either-PC on, with sensitive microphones, and the noise wasn't disruptive.

Reply 5 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 5500 shouldn't need an insane heatsink; my FX 5200 (they have the same GPU) is passive (it looks sort of like the Voodoo3 heatsink) and doesn't get burner-hot even when running 3DMark. I'm not sure, however, if you can still buy such heatsinks as aftermarket parts, but you should be able to find a complete FX 5200/5500 with passive sink for sale.

Reply 6 of 13, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest with the fx5500, I'm not especially wedded to using a low-end gf5 card, it was more a case of using what I had - the fastest card I had/have with passive cooling by design is probably a matrox g200, but the fx5500 had a dead fan so was a candidate for tinkering and I thought would be better for 2000.

It's a few years since I last succeeded in getting nvidia's linux graphics drivers working on a machine - no intention of going there again soon, I just take whatever the default is. But I'd be interested to know whether a newer card would give a better linux [2D] experience and/or whether there's any accurate and comprehensive instructions for installing the drivers. 😀

Sounds like the am2 heatsink was over the top 🤣. But I'm not sure what use a second card would be without installing 98, which I hadn't planned on [yet]. Had been wondering about an NV1 maybe - that would be in keeping with the gestalt nature of this box: not worth having a box dedicated to such a card, but as an addon to a multi-purpose machine it might be interesting. I wonder if 98se will work with 2gb ram installed, and booting from a sata drive?

Point taken about the p4 and cooling, the Sonic Tower gets a bit warm if i turn off the overhead case fans. I don't know if the current noise level is an issue, I know my son turns off various things when he's recording.

@fyy:

The IDE HD has three partitions:
2gb - must be the remnant of a previous usage, this is where boot.ini etc are
20gb - where 2000 lives
130gb - debian
4gb - swap space

I used a CF card for DOS because the hard drive was already set up with 2000 and debian by the time I decided on DOS. Plus I thought dos was already on the CF card!

Cable management and photographing computer gear are not my strong points but I'll attempt a photo later 🤣.

@jayceebee4:

Yeah that's the one - I see them on ebay for mad prices these days; mine was about £50 a few years ago, boxed and hardly used [possibly not used at all from its condition] so I thought it was worth it. Never found it especially useful before but I'm quite taken with it now. The PAS16 doesn't even get detected by 2000 as far as I can tell, and obviously dos doesn't use the m-audio. So it feels like 2 computers in one.

Reply 7 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never seen 98 like booting on >512MB; there are supposed to be hacks to remedy that though. IME it will attempt to boot and then throw errors and fail. I don't think it cares about SATA vs PATA unless it needs drivers for the SATA controller (just like XP), but many boards will emulate PATA/IDE for SATA and the OS shouldn't know the difference.

As far as the nVidia + Linux situation, I haven't toyed around with a complete install of Linux in years, but Puppy Linux and other bootables from recent years will properly detect and install/configure nv drivers for my FX 5800 automagically, and that will at least work for x.org and whatnot; never tried gaming with it though. I've had generally good luck with nv + linux over the years, FWIW.

Reply 9 of 13, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For 98 on >512MB
http://www.thpc.info/ram/vcache98.html

My own recollection is that the total of AGP window and Vcache must not exceed 512MB - so with a 256MB AGP aperture (typical max setting) the Vcache must be limited to a maximum of 256MB

Reply 10 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matth79 wrote:

For 98 on >512MB
http://www.thpc.info/ram/vcache98.html

My own recollection is that the total of AGP window and Vcache must not exceed 512MB - so with a 256MB AGP aperture (typical max setting) the Vcache must be limited to a maximum of 256MB

I haven't played around with this on a large memory machine, but I know that Win98SE had no problems booting up on my i845 with 512MB RAM and a 128MB AGP card. It did, however, have issues with anything over 512MB RAM, even with AGP aperture set low (I've seen this on two machines, the other with an i875p). There's also generally no real benefit to setting AGP aperture to insane values like 256MB either (so if that's what's in the way of setting up your machine, I'd dump it without hesitation) - I'll just link to myself to save re-typing: AGP Aperture Size and video performance!

Reply 12 of 13, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could always use an old Socket 7 or 370 fan on the old stock Heatsink. Tend to have a few around unused from dead systems and with a little bit of grease they stop chattering. Plus they usually just screw right into the HS

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13 of 13, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

The standard am2 heatsink is huge (and probably heavy). Thermal tape might not hold it for so long.

Super glue would do. At least that was the way I used a Pentium 4 heatsink (the 478 one) on a old 500MHz Celeron (on PGA370). 😀

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB