VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

another great build! this time it has enough Roland 🤣 🤣 🤣

🤣. Was thinking of you during this build. Felt I owed you some Roland and mixed it up a bit with that interface card Vs the more popular MPU-401/AT. I'm just happy it works! It's the first time I've actually tested it since it was purchased.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 21 of 22, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Yeah, somethings definitely off. DOOM is really choppy at full screen. Timings are tight as a drum in the BIOS. I'm going to swap memory tomorrow, and maybe try a single 60ns 16MB stick. May swap the VLB card as I'm seeing some anomalies on-screen during gaming {vertical banding}.

Sorry to hear that, is the screen artefacts appears with both crt and tft ? Maybe the video card jumper settings are in cause (too tight timings or wrong memory configuration).
My S3 805 gave me some headaches with its three jumpers configuration not listed on stason 😵 But after consequent amount of trials it worked like it should 😎

Artex wrote:

I'm just happy it works! It's the first time I've actually tested it since it was purchased.

The moment of truth when powering the computer for testing hardware is always the most stressful 🤣

Reply 22 of 22, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update today.. As I mentioned earlier, my memory throughput looked a little low using the existing hardware. I swapped the two 8MB SIMMS for a single 16MB 60ns SIMM, and swapped out the V7 Mirage 1MB VLB card with a 2MB Cirrus Logic 5428 VLB card and things have improved! Starting to wonder if the system was stuck in "LO" speed mode as well via the motherboard jumper despite the LED screen showing the "HI." Can't imagine a different stick of memory would cause that massive leap in performance.

OLD SpeedSys Overall Score: 25.09
NEW SpeedSys Overall Score: 25.09

OLD DOOM: 2134 gametics in 6389 realtics
NEW DOOM: 2134 gametics in 2763 realtics

OLD Superscape: 25.5 fps
NEW Superscape: 46.6 fps

OLD PC Player Bench: 6.0
NEW PC Player Bench: 11.4

Cache Performance:

CacheChk -d -t6
OLD: L1 (8KB) - 65.4 MB/s
NEW L1 (8KB) - 69.0 MB/s