VOGONS

Finally Finished my 386sx!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could see a 386sx-33 with cache being about the same as a 386DX-25 (also with cache), but I find cachless SX systems to be pretty slow in general. Did this one have crazy memory timings or something?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah just BIOS defaults. It's this board here, I did a detailed write up a while ago under my old name: M396F motherboard

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha, this is the same board I had. I found it pretty slow compared to a DX40, particularly for memory speed. (mine was the am386DX-40 variant).

Reply 23 of 25, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, just saw some of your guys posts. I'll have to keep that picture stuff in mind. I also moved the 386 to a smaller AT case and it's a fun machine. I have to admit though, school has had me busy for a while, but last I worked on this machine I was trying to edit the autoexec and config.sys files with no luck so far. But also I should be getting a 486DX2 machine from a trade soon! School can wait, I say. 😀

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 24 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Ha, this is the same board I had. I found it pretty slow compared to a DX40, particularly for memory speed. (mine was the am386DX-40 variant).

You always seem obsessed with memory speed 😀

There are also models with Cyrix or Ti chip and internet cache. Someone on Vogons tested such a board.

Do you still have yours?

I really like this board. I don't care much about speed, I like how simple and stable it is. It's a real pleasure to use this board.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 25 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these boards, but it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Most of the hybrid 386 boards seem to use the hidden refresh method rather than the #flush line method for keeping the cache coherent. There is a performance penalty, and doesnt' seem to sit well with SCSI controllers. I am not able to boot my board with the L1 cache enabled and the SCSI adapter installed. However, I can do a workaround using the Cyrix DRx software utility. I had much better luck with the IBM SLC/DLC chips overall. I'm still playing around though. I am attempting to add the #flush line to my board. On my first attempt I believe I used the wrong type of logic gate, so it didn't work. When I have more time I will try again.