VOGONS

First post, by WhatANerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I last posted (been so darned busy lately!), but I thought I would quickly share another one of my systems with you all.

The 50MHz 486 was always such a rare but powerful beast that, to me, has retained an aura of exclusivity for decades. I also think it's cool that these systems had the fastest x86 processor that was not clock-multiplied. This processor truly marked the end of an era, in my opinion, and any system that runs one is pretty special these days.

This system has a fictional back story: I decided to build what I have always imagined to be a workstation that was used in the cutting-edge aerospace corporations of the '80s and early '90s. Since the now-defunct Rockwell International was a major player (and I remember their cool logo from my childhood in the '80s), I figured it would be a perfect fit. In fact, Rockwell had a major research campus in Southern California that did work for the U.S. Government, and that's where I can see a system like this performing in a variety of capacities. Kind of corny I know, but I like the way it turned out. 😀

It's not finished yet: no sound card and no CD drive, but I think it actually looks more vintage without one.

Hope you guys like it, let me know what you think!

486DX 50MHz (Asus 486SV2G motherboard)
Apparently 128KB write-back cache memory - I could swear it was 256KB though.
64MB of RAM
DTC VLB disk controller
VLB Cirrus Logic video card
10Base-T Ethernet

DOS+Win3.x / Windows NT 3.51 / Windows 95

pic1a.png

pic2.jpg

Here you can see this beast of an x86 system completely dwarfing the mighty Macintosh Quadra 950:
pic5a.jpg

rockbench.jpg

rockbench2.png

• x86: Tandy 1000RL (HD+768K), Tandy 3000HD, 486DX33 VLB, 486DX50 VLB, Packard Bell Force 1998CDT (Pentium 133)
  • 68K: Mac Plus 1MB (early), Quadra 700 (2), Quadra 950, Quadra 650

Clock multiplication is too new for me, as you can see!

Reply 1 of 4, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool looking machine, and I dig the "back story" bit as well. Out of curiosity where did you find the case? It looks almost brand-new. And did you custom make the Rockwell badge?

Reply 2 of 4, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. Now go and fill those drive bays 😀 5.25 drive would look good. On the sound side, SB Pro 2 would be perfect. Some kind of a midi card with an MT-32 even better. AWE64 with MT-32 as a cheaper option.

Reply 3 of 4, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! Gee that's a clean setup, do you have plans to run a higher end Video card? Did you have much trouble running this machine at 50mhz? From what Ive read supposedly the DX50 was meant to be unstable and hardly any cards worked properly, have you had a chance to test other components?

Reply 4 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DX50s weren't unstable as long as you designed your system properly. I highly recommend getting an EISA motherboard for that thing. If you want to keep it era specific I recommend one with an Intel chipset. The SiS based EISA boards are better, but if you want 50MHz apparently Intel is where it's at. Some EISA boards also have VLB slots, but those came around after the DX-50 was displaced by the DX2-66.

I like the DX-50 as well, and although I don't have a system built at the moment I do have three DX-50 CPUs lying around just in case.

By the way, you're really playing a risky game running two VLB cards at 50MHz. Officially it can only handle 50Mhz for a single device if it's integrated into the motherboard. 40MHz gets you 1 discrete VLB card. 33MHz gets you 2 discrete VLB cards, and 25MHz gets you 3 discrete VLB cards. The bus is very noisy, so the faster you run it the less devices you can have. Sometimes if your motherboard and cards are good quality (and rated for 50MHz) you can get away with more cards.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium