VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I've made my final decision on the last card. I've also just purchased the final external piece 😀 The system is now complete. The only room for expansion now is if I were to max out the RAM to 768MB. I could do that, but am not really worried about it that much. Can also add a daughterboard to the AWE32, but again, I'm not that worried about that.

The goal of this project was to achieve the highest speed & maximum capabilities of a 100% ISA compatible build with 3DFX graphics. There are newer systems with ISA capabilities, but I've read that the Intel 440B? chipset was the last one that was 100% ISA compliant, so that's where I stopped. My first build was with a VIA chipset, but compatibility suffered, so I switched back to Intel. Also, all the devices had to have Windows 3.1 drivers available.

Gigabyte GA-6BXC Motherboard (Modified for high current AGP 2x cards)
512MB PC100 RAM (1x256MB + 2x128MB)
Celeron 1.4Ghz CPU (100Mhz FSB) w/Powerleap PL-iP3/T Adapter
Voodoo 3 3500 TV 16MB AGP
Voodoo 1 4MBB PCI
2x Voodoo 2 12MB SLI PCI
Generic 10/100/1000 NIC PCI
MPU-401AT ISA with SCB-55 Daughterboard ISA
SoundBlaster AWE32 with 32MB (28MB usable) ISA
1.2M 5.25" Floppy Drive
1.44M 3.5" Floppy Drive
BenQ DW1670 DVD-ROM Drive (Reads all Non-HD Formats)
3x 40GB 7200 RPM ATA-66 Hard Drives
2-Way VGA Switch Box (switches between V1+Passthrough & V2 SLI)
Thrustmaster FCS Mk-1 with WCS Mk-2
Roland MT-32 (Old Model)
Roland CM-32L
Logitech stereo speakers, audio switch box, 8 Channel (4 stereo channel) mixer.

Now, I just have to wait for the final parts to get here.... I hate waiting 🙁 Patience is "not" one of my virtues.

Switch box arrived, and discovered a problem I don't really want to deal with in having a V1 & V2 in the same machine. Worked just great, but once the V1 switched in, regular 2D video never switched back when I exited the game. Got into Tomb Raider without an issue - but the videos wouldn't work, and monitor shut down when I exited the game. Keyboard still worked, and I could re-enter the game if I wanted. Blood worked fine, but when I exited the whole system locked up. Didn't worry about trying Shadow Warrior (the only other DOS 3DFX game I have installed at the moment.) So, decided to pull the V1 and put the ACM game controller back in. New pictures of the inside of my computer (outside didn't change, except the back, and I don't really want to unplug everything again... Just take the extra Voodoo card out of the image and put an ACM card in its place 😀

**EDIT** Final configuration... Put the V1 + Switch box back into system. Found out how to get V1 working with V2 😀 Details in my new post. Sorry about the flip-flopping.

Last edited by FeedingDragon on 2015-02-04, 02:48. Edited 4 times in total.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very impressive system!

Now in DOS, will there be issues with the Voodoo cards conflicting? I have a bit of experiences with V1 and V3 and the type of patch you use determines what card gets used. But also a V2 in the system, what card will get used with let's say Tomb Raider and the Voodoo Rush patch?

Personally I would ditch the V2. The V3 should run all / most games the V2 does. And the V1 is for those few games that only work / work better with V1.

Also interested to hear about the Gigabit Ethernet card. Mine is only Fast Ethernet and didn't even think that there might be Gigabit cards for Windows 98. When you say generic, what chip does it have?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The NIC uses a Realtek RL8169 chipset. Haven't had any issues with it, so far. Even the DOS drivers worked just fine during original testing with my XP system. Now that I have a Windows 7 system, I imagine I'll really have to do some digging to get it up and running.

As for the V1/V2/V3 setup, originally it was just a V2 setup. The first expansion on that was with a V1, but the pass through switching doesn't play nice with a V2. The next step was to add in a V3 (had to modify the motherboard as it was limited to 2.5 Amp on the 3.3V AGP line, V3 needs 4-5 Amps.) It plays perfectly fine with the V2, but that left a couple of games out that it couldn't support (not a big deal, don't have those games at this time.) After a considerable amount of research on the availability & costs of options for the last open slot, I decided to put the V1 back in with a switch box (have to manually switch in the V1, the V2 continues to work just fine on pass through switching.) When it comes down to cases, the V2-SLI on some games actually outperforms the V3 (the last Voodoo with Windows 3.1 drivers,) and there are quite a few games that won't work with the V3, but can utilize the advantage of a V2 in SLI. So, V1+V2+V3, gives me support for all 3DFX games. Play any that are statically linked (and can't take advantage of a V2-SLI) with the V1, play everything else with the V2, and use the V3 for the later Windows 9x games 😀

So, all the criteria of my project are met 😀 Full 3DFX compatibility, full ISA compatibility, & unless something breaks, I'll never need to open the system again 😀 The only thing it cannot do is run games that are exceptionally speed sensitive & produce proper graphics for the extremely old games (CGA Composite mode.) But then, I play those in DOSBox anyways.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 3 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FeedingDragon wrote:

Curious as to how this mod was achieved/done ?

And wonder if all 3.3v AGP mobos (BX) are 'wired' the same when it comes to this amp'age thingy?
(me clueless whether Abit BH6 has this 'problem' vs Voodoo3, let alone Voodoo5)

Reply 5 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote:
Curious as to how this mod was achieved/done ? […]
Show full quote
FeedingDragon wrote:

Curious as to how this mod was achieved/done ?

And wonder if all 3.3v AGP mobos (BX) are 'wired' the same when it comes to this amp'age thingy?
(me clueless whether Abit BH6 has this 'problem' vs Voodoo3, let alone Voodoo5)

I don't think all of them do. The GA-6BXC board rev2.0+ has jumpers that do the same thing. Pics of the mod are Here for my particular board. Basically, you just run a direct connect from the 3.3V line on the power connector to the 3.3V line on the AGP port. If you can find the voltage control for the 3.3V line, you can check the part number to see what it is rated too. Also, a Google search of your motherboard "might" turn up details as well.

Living:
Right now, my camera is in a fixed mounting for taking photos for something else. Also, have to wait for the last 2 parts to arrive (VGA switch box & CM-32L.) But I can take pics without those pieces if you really want.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I saw the title of this thread I was expecting a 486 without local bus or PCI slots.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

When I saw the title of this thread I was expecting a 486 without local bus or PCI slots.

Me too.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Me too.

Sorry, my "ISA System" is what I called it when I first started planning it. Mainly for the ISA sound card support I was looking for. Since I wanted to play my older DOS based games, and PCI sound cards broke compatibility with many of them. I planned, designed, and built the entire system around that precept, thus I named it "ISA System." It is, as far as my research shows, the most advance 100% ISA compatible system that I can build. I've also referred to it as my "Vintage System," but I'm not completely comfortable with that title. To me, a vintage system would be a 386 or prior system (maybe an early 486.) But definitely not a Pentium III. Of course, I learned computers with a Commodore PET, and my first home computer was a TI-99/4A (with a Commodore 64 a year later, and an Apple IIe not long after that.) Yeah, my father was making extremely good money at the time.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 10 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking forward to the pics, the list makes it a real nice. Don't think I've seen a build with 4 3dfx cards in the same PC

Reply 11 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As promised, first array of pics 😀 The switch box hasn't arrived yet and neither has the CM-32L. So, for switching from V2 to V1, I have to manually move the pass-through cable & monitor cable from the V1 to V2 or Vice Versa. When the switch box arrives, I'll put up pictures of it in action. According to others, it should work just fine. I'll also add pictures when the CM-32L arrives as well 😀

Attachments

• Cards.JPG
    Filename
    Cards.JPG
    File size
    167.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Cards Vertical
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • cpu.JPG
    Filename
    cpu.JPG
    File size
    77.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU & RAM
    File license
  • audio.JPG
    Filename
    audio.JPG
    File size
    38.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Mixer + MT32 & Audio Switch
    File license
  • back.JPG
    Filename
    back.JPG
    File size
    58.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Back
    File license
  • front.JPG
    Filename
    front.JPG
    File size
    33.15 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front
    File license

Feeding Dragon

Reply 12 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pics Continued:

Attachments

• mem.JPG
    Filename
    mem.JPG
    File size
    69.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Configured memory
    File license
  • bios.JPG
    Filename
    bios.JPG
    File size
    77.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    BIOS Screen
    File license
  • boot.JPG
    Filename
    boot.JPG
    File size
    58.38 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Booting system
    File license
  • flight.JPG
    Filename
    flight.JPG
    File size
    84.29 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Combat Control :)
    File license
  • cards2.JPG
    Filename
    cards2.JPG
    File size
    62.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Cards Horizontal
    File license

Feeding Dragon

Reply 13 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Final pics... A couple of games in action....

sw.JPG
Filename
sw.JPG
File size
55.16 KiB
Views
File comment
Shadow Warrior 3dfx
File license
blood.JPG
Filename
blood.JPG
File size
56.41 KiB
Views
File comment
Blood 3dfx
File license

I would have also included Tomb Raider 3DFX, but in my last bout of install/clean/whatever I seem to have misplaced the CD 🙁

Feeding Dragon

Reply 14 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Argh!!! The switch box still hasn't arrived. Went to check, and discovered its coming from China... WHY??? I specifically clicked US Only when I did a search for one. Chose this one because of the price & look. It looks like it will fit in the small space above my system, it is push-button, which I prefer over turn knob, even the color is right 🙁

Feeding Dragon

Reply 16 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last piece arrived 😀

Attachments

• Roland.JPG
    Filename
    Roland.JPG
    File size
    173.03 KiB
    Views
    File license

Feeding Dragon

Reply 17 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, found out how to get a V1 & V2 to work together in the same system. What I ended up doing....

1) Place the V1 before the V2's in the PCI slots: Not sure if this is actually necessary, but the post I read suggested it might be, so that's what I did.

2) The Pass-Through cable goes to the V1 and not the V2's

For some reason this is what made it start working. One issue I discovered during testing. If Tomb Raider is loaded through the Voodoo Rush EXE file, even with a V1 GLIDE2X.OVL file, it won't work through the V1. If I use the V2 OVL file, it will work just fine. Only, the static linked EXE file will stop working after that until the system is powered completely down and then restarted. If I use the exact same V2 OVL file in another game (such as Shadow Warrior,) the static linked EXE file continues to work fine through the V1. With the V1 in the system, even setting the environment variables won't let it work through the V2 for some reason. Not sure what the issue there is. (EDIT didn't finish that thought for some reason)

As promised, the Pictures of V1+V2+V3 working together 😀

Tomb Raider through the Voodoo 1 card:

Tomb Raider.JPG
Filename
Tomb Raider.JPG
File size
101.68 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo 1
File license

Shadow Warrior through the Voodoo 2 SLI cards:

Shadow Warrior.JPG
Filename
Shadow Warrior.JPG
File size
154.77 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo 2
File license

Blood through the Voodoo 3 AGP card:

Blood.JPG
Filename
Blood.JPG
File size
192.74 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo 3
File license

Feeding Dragon

Reply 18 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Final pic, I think, unless something else changes or someone asks for something specific. 😀

System closed up and in place.

System in Place.JPG
Filename
System in Place.JPG
File size
173.07 KiB
Views
File comment
System closed up & in place.
File license

Feeding Dragon