VOGONS

First post, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I fixed this old soyo sy-5ssm motherboard, it had 3 blown 6.3 volt caps. I decided to take this motherboard to its limits in this build with overclocking the crap out of it. Now if anyone has any recommended fsb settings or any k6 2 475mhz overclocking info it would be gladly appreciated

Attachments

• Filename
    _IGP3998.JPG
    File size
    2.75 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    soyo sy-5ssm
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ayy LMAO

Reply 1 of 7, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think there is much of a point in overclocking a K6-2, especially nowadays. If you want higher performance with that board, look for a K6-III+.
Since the SY-SSM seems to have some FSB setting above 100MHz it might be interesting to use a higher FSB without raising the core clock much, a K6-2 should gain more from a higher FSB than from higher core clock. If the higher FSB will be stable is a different question. I don't know how stable K6-x CPUs are with higher FSB's, but at least the board allows you to use sane clocks for PCI and RAM.
Do you have an AFX or an AHX model?

Reply 2 of 7, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is the AHX model. I did look into getting a k6 3 but I don't know how much better it is. I'm kind of new to socket 7 amd CPUs. I mostly have Intel mmx and 1 cyrix mx3 I think. I can't think of the name off the top of my head but I think I'm close. It does have a lot more cache compared to the CPUs of its time. I could give that a shot but I think my best bet would be in the k6's

Ayy LMAO

Reply 3 of 7, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AHX needs more voltage and runs hotter than the AFX so it is probably not very good for overclocking.
The K6-3 are quite a bit faster at the same clock, the difference gets bigger the higher the clock is - at 475MHz the K6-2's bottleneck is mostly bus speed.
You are right about alternatives, Pentium MMX maxes out at 233 MHz (maybe 250-300 with overclocking), Cyrix CPUs also can't do very high clocks and have slower FPUs so not that good for gaming. Your K6-2 is surely a better choice.

Reply 4 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The main difference between K6-2 and K6-III is the L2 cache. K6-III have a 256 KB full speed on-die cache. K6-2 have a bus speed (100 MHz is the limit) motherboard cache.
Unfortunately K6-III cache isn't the best friend of overclockers...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This might be of interest:

AMD K6-2 vs K6-2+ vs K6-III+ Comparison

I really like that 1.6V K6-III+ 400 MHz from that German seller. That chip uses not even 10W and overclocks well. But it's a capable chip on a 66 MHz FSB motherboard as well.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

I really like that 1.6V K6-III+ 400 MHz from that German seller. That chip uses not even 10W and overclocks well. But it's a capable chip on a 66 MHz FSB motherboard as well.

Comment regarding the AMD K6-III+:
Just be very careful about the AMD K6-III+ model, it works on much fewer motherboards than the regular AMD K6-III model. Just a heads up that you'll need to be sure it's supported before buying 😀

The regular AMD K6-III works in every board that supports the AMD K6-2 from my own testing.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 7, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agreed regarding compatibility, but the manual even for revision 1.0 of the Soyo 5SSM mentions support for 2.0V and K6-2+ so I'm pretty sure it would work. There is also an official BIOS listed on Jan Steunebrinks page: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm