VOGONS

My almost 3GHZ Athlon 64 beast

Topic actions

First post, by varanoidas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've loved the Athlon 64 ever since I first found a socket 939 motherboard with an Athlon 64 2.4Ghz 4000+ at a flea market. It had great performance and was a great overclocker. Then it had 768mb ram, 80gb hdd, geforce 7600gs and was running @3.1Ghz. It was the fastest thing I have ever used 🤣 . Sadly, one day a wire got in it and touched something. I didn't notice it and I killed it when I was trying to power it on 😢
Well recently I have found another s939 board and bought it. I found my old processor that was still good and put it in.
It's alive!! 😈
It would be great, but the new motherboard was crap and didn't let me push the cpu past 2.93Ghz 😠 .
Anyway, it's still an Athlon 64 and it's still great and very fast.
Final specs:
Motherboard: NFORCE4-A939
Processor: Athlon 64 4000+ @2.93Ghz
Ram: 3Gb 128bit dual channel
Video card: Geforce GTX 650 1gb
Hard disk: 120Gb
Pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3i85wz1sjoaasn/IMG … 230557.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9e5o2co1tuutfl/IMG … 230524.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj4gdfacwk2l0zo/untitled.bmp?dl=0
3dmark
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f39f0v7t6ieahmh/3dmark06.bmp?dl=0
It works great on the internet, plays 1080p youtube videos!
And it plays every game I have tried that works on windows xp perfectly!

Reply 1 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very neat; I've got a 4000+ sitting in storage with some older 939 boards. I've often wondered how it'd handle modern tasks. Out of curiosity, any plans to try a newer OS? And what is "Windows XP DarkLite Edition"?

Reply 2 of 22, by varanoidas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might install ubuntu next to windows xp. Windows XP DarkLite Edition is a modified version of windows xp. Some stuff removed and updates until 2019. I already have a Windows 7 machine so I don't see any reason why, but back in 2013 (i tkink) I have tried windows 7 on the previous board that's now dead with this processor @3.1Ghz and it worked great. I just like windows xp better 🤣

Reply 3 of 22, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

Very neat; I've got a 4000+ sitting in storage with some older 939 boards. I've often wondered how it'd handle modern tasks. Out of curiosity, any plans to try a newer OS? And what is "Windows XP DarkLite Edition"?

Same here. I've got a Socket 939 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (NVIDIA Nforce3) board with a 4600+ but support for Windows Vista/Windows 7 ended there. This is the issue I ran into: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NForce3#Windows_ … Incompatibility

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
varanoidas wrote:

I might install ubuntu next to windows xp. Windows XP DarkLite Edition is a modified version of windows xp. Some stuff removed and updates until 2019. I already have a Windows 7 machine so I don't see any reason why, but back in 2013 (i tkink) I have tried windows 7 on the previous board that's now dead with this processor @3.1Ghz and it worked great. I just like windows xp better 🤣

Interesting. I'll have to do some research on "DarkLite" in the future. Thanks for the info. 😀

If Ubuntu ends up being too "heavy" for the machine, you might try Xubuntu. I tried the bootable/live image on a Pentium 4 EE with 2GB of RAM and it was very usable. My understanding is they're essentially identical, apart from system requirements, which is mostly mediated by their DEs.

Artex wrote:

Same here. I've got a Socket 939 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (NVIDIA Nforce3) board with a 4600+ but support for Windows Vista/Windows 7 ended there. This is the issue I ran into: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NForce3#Windows_ … Incompatibility

Wow, and I thought my nForce 4 had it bad! 😲

Reply 5 of 22, by varanoidas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

XFCE is about as heavy on resources as MATE or Gnome classic. For older machines I use LXDE on Ubuntu. It's pretty fast on my 1ghz p3. On this i would use Ubuntu with Gnome classic or Linux Mint with MATE.
Actually, I think I will install Linux mint on it and tell you how it went, but now I am a little busy with super socket 7 🤣

Reply 6 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

It actually ends on windows 7.. Windows vista will do, but doesnt have full support for that board. Also running a dual core athlon 64 with vista gives your problems.. But single core will do fine.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7 of 22, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked around for an Opteron 180 for one of my 939 boards. Didn't know Vista has issues with dual core (never used the OS for anything).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 22, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271408152727 A little pricey at $90 with shipping, and I wouldn't want the motherboard that it comes with.. but it does have the highest speed stock-clocked 1MB-Cache single core 939 chip I've found for sale anywhere, 2.8 ghz opteron. Which should have no issues hitting 3ghz at least. I don't have one in my paws yet but I would hold hope it would overclock at least to the 3.4 ghz range if not more, being opteron and all.

I have an Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe motherboard in the other room and It's based on the nforce4-16x-SLI-AMD chipset, and I've been wanting to get one of those chips in it some day, but have not just yet.

Reply 9 of 22, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to wiki the fastest single a64/k8 is the FX-57 at 2.8 GHz, but the absolute fastest is the x2 6400+ be at 3.2, same core, just two of them. I don't know about overclocking records of these.

Reply 10 of 22, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the desktop side. If you look to the server side AMD released a single-core 1MB 939 Opteron chip @ stock speed of 3.0 ghz at one point in time. Never will find one for sale today though, I haven't seen one on ebay in years since back when they were sold new. www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Opteron%2 ... NBOX).html

Opteron chips will work in 99% of desktop nforce3 and nforce4 boards, usually.

Reply 13 of 22, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

Those are AM2 chips, this thread was about the K8 series of CPU's, originally. Specifically for the 939 socket.

Reply 15 of 22, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 939 and 940 chips both use DDR1 memory controllers, any way to hack a 940 into a 939 board? The Opteron 256 CPUs are 3ghz and only a few dollars.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 16 of 22, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
awgamer wrote:

Those are AM2 chips, this thread was about the K8 series of CPU's, originally. Specifically for the 939 socket.

As I pointed out before, the 6400+ is K8 core. If limiting to socket 939, it'd be that opteron, but for the fastest k8, it's the 6400+. AMD introduced AM2 during the x2 chips, so earlier x2s are 939, the last were AM2, but they're K8 the same as the 939 a64, fx, opteron.

Reply 17 of 22, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

The 939 and 940 chips both use DDR1 memory controllers, any way to hack a 940 into a 939 board? The Opteron 256 CPUs are 3ghz and only a few dollars.

Nope, the 940 chips physically have an added pin somewhere. and I think (I'm not 100% sure) their pins are re-arranged and have different functions. So even if you lopped off that one extra pin somewhere, and physically got it to fit, it wouldn't run in a 939 board.

Reply 18 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

According to wiki the fastest single a64/k8 is the FX-57 at 2.8 GHz, but the absolute fastest is the x2 6400+ be at 3.2, same core, just two of them. I don't know about overclocking records of these.

X2 6400+ is AM2. That's irrelevant/incompatible for a 939 system. The Opteron that Kithlyn pointed out is the fastest single-core 939. For dual-core it would be the Opteron 185. In practice they're going to be expensive and hard to find, just like the X2 4800+ and FX-series chips. The Athlon64 4000+ is usually a fairly easy find though (it's a 2.4GHz 1MB single-core), and offers good performance in its own right.

kithylin wrote:

That's the desktop side. If you look to the server side AMD released a single-core 1MB 939 Opteron chip @ stock speed of 3.0 ghz at one point in time. Never will find one for sale today though, I haven't seen one on ebay in years since back when they were sold new. www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Opteron%2 ... NBOX).html

Opteron chips will work in 99% of desktop nforce3 and nforce4 boards, usually.

The forum software mangled the link. 😊

Link.

Unknown_K wrote:

As far as I know this is impossible. Beyond being physically incompatible (they're keyed differently), 940 also requires registered memory to function.

940 CPUs aren't the only thing cheap though - 940 boards aren't generally that expensive either. I'd just go whole-hog if you're interested. It'll provide similar (or better, depending on what you get) performance to 939, and probably be cheaper (prices on 939 gear have gotten hilarious in recent years; I'd honestly preference towards 754, 940, or AM2 if you want to stick with AMD, or go with an Intel platform, over 939 at this point).

Reply 19 of 22, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

The forum software mangled the link. 😊

Link.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how to do that correctly with the forum software here, now I know. Little URL button I missed.. Doh!

obobskivich wrote:

940 CPUs aren't the only thing cheap though - 940 boards aren't generally that expensive either. I'd just go whole-hog if you're interested. It'll provide similar (or better, depending on what you get) performance to 939, and probably be cheaper (prices on 939 gear have gotten hilarious in recent years; I'd honestly preference towards 754, 940, or AM2 if you want to stick with AMD, or go with an Intel platform, over 939 at this point).

I feel blessed lucky to get that Asus A8n32-Sli-Deluxe last month for $50, they're only going up in price at this rate for high-end 939 boards.