VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought I'd dive into some of my Socket 3-based systems for these next few "Artex's Build of the Week" iterations. A few of these have been documented in what turned out to be a massive thread, but I know everyone loves pix so here goes!

Round five of my Socket 3 round of builds...

This one's a classy beast folks - a Cyrix 120Mhz processor sitting pretty in the well known Biostar MB-8433UUD. For the audio freaks out there, this build is pretty versatile as well. You've got the compatibility of the (somewhat 'hissy') Sound Blaster 16 MCD (with DSP 4.05!) as well as the Roland SCB-7 daughterboard for those games that use GM. Finally, I threw in the completely kickass Gravis Ultrasound Classic - fully loaded with memory - so it's ready to rock some of the more well known games that support this card - Jazz Jackrabbit, Epic Pinball, Crusader No Remorse/Regret, and Zone 66 to name a few. While I'm at it, why not blast my wife out of the house with 2nd Reality cranked at full volume. SIMPLY GLORIOUS!

After last week's madness with that bastard stepchild Intel Saturn-based Asus board, I forgot how nice it is to have a late model, PCI-based socket 3 board where everything just... works. This has quickly become my favorite socket 3 system, with my VLB-based AMD X5-160 being a close second. I forgot how good the GUS sounds compared to the plain-jane SB16s and SBPros.. WOW! I think I actually prefer DOOM and DOOM2 with the GUS patches (and Power Drumkit!) that were specifically created for each of these games as compared to even a Roland SC-55 - I'm THAT impressed with the music. I can see why this was the card of choice in the early 90s for the whole demo scene/tracker timeframe. I must have watched/listened to 2ND Reality at least 20 times after getting this system up and running - "I'm not an atomic playboy!"

Anyways, needless to say... I've LOVED doing these socket 3 builds. It was a generation I completed missed growing up, and now I have several systems at my disposal that are ready to rock - each with their own unique qualities. I may do one final socket 3 build using a Pentium 83Mhz overdrive, and I think that will be it for socket 3! I've pretty much covered all the bases in terns of various hardware configurations and have learned quite a bit along the way! It's nice to actually make use of some of the items I've acquired over the years too! 😎

Thanks again to all VOGONS members who helped me along the way with these socket 3 builds! As to what's next....hm... socket 5 perhaps?? As for now... ENJOY!!!!

Specs:

Case: AT Tower Case
Power Supply: Enlight EN-825710 250W
Motherboard: BIOSTAR MB-8433UUD-A Rev. 3.1 with "2012" BIOS
Cache Info:
16KB L1 Cache (In Write-back mode)
256KB L2 Cache
Processor: Cyrix 5x86-120GP (Code: G5K8548B -> 48th week of 1995) "M1sc"
Cyrix Register Config: loop_en=off, rstk_en=on lsser=off fp_fast=on btb_en=on
Cooling: Socket 3 Cooler

Network: 3Com 3C905B TX (PCI)

Storage:
4GB CF Card (CF->IDE Adapter)
GOTEK USB Floppy Emulator
Hitachi DVD-ROM

Memory:
32MB EDO RAM (1 x 32MB 60ns SIMM)

Audio:
Creative CT1750 (Sound Blaster 16 MCD) + Roland SCB-7 GM Daughterboard
Gravis Ultrasound Classic Rev. 3.73 with memory

Video:
STB S3 Trio64V+ PCI (2MB)

Benchmark Results:
SpeedSys Overall Score: 68.16
Superscape: 94.8 fps
PC Player Bench: 22.5
DOOM: 2134 gametics in 1525 realtics
Quake: 14.8 fps

Cache Performance:

CacheChk -d -t6
L1 (16KB) - 246.7 MB/s
L2 (256KB) - 95.8 MB/s
Main Memory Speed - 55.7 MB/s
Effective RAM Access Time (read) - 75 ns
Effective RAM Access Time (write) - 50 ns

CacheChk -d -w -t6
Main Memory Speed - 83 MB/s 12.6 ns/byte
Effective RAM Access Time (write) - 50 ns

Onto the hardware Pr0n!

NgCAdL.jpg
h9TuqO.jpg
oF0D3L.jpg
dEOBWu.jpg
W7Ocea.jpg
O0bv3z.jpg
t9S98U.jpg
ItuLYx.jpg
G1LiqC.jpg
PdOYL2.jpg
MmRJTH.jpg
1NrqFv.jpg
NSurwa.jpg
H5fn6K.jpg

M0AR GUS!

v2Tbx9.jpg
KFXfNC.jpg
FIs3Hc.png
1UgDVc.png
1SyCGd.jpg
297hn7.jpg
TTq5MD.png

Misc Hardware Info and Benchies

VU21eB.png
qiUN6h.png
ZHA621.png
6NLXpA.png
1UuVPI.png
db2dr9.png
csu34I.png
62eHZh.png
WLnelX.png

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like what I am seeing! And it's got enough Roland too 😀

My GUS is also a 3.73/1MB but I could never get Second Reality to work on my 200mmx build, no idea why... :\

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A very attractive build indeed. If you are interested in further optimising this system, a single stick of 64 MB FPM RAM will work nicely in this motherboard with the 40 MHz FSB. Set L2 to write-through. You should be able to enable BWRT and LINBRST for the Cyrix register config.

Have you tried running Win9x? If so, how did it fare with branch prediction enabled?

How are you connecting the two sound cards, with a male/male-female phono plug Y-adapter?

Will the computer boot up with a Voodoo4 card installed?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 4, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
A very attractive build indeed. If you are interested in further optimising this system, a single stick of 64 MB FPM RAM will w […]
Show full quote

A very attractive build indeed. If you are interested in further optimising this system, a single stick of 64 MB FPM RAM will work nicely in this motherboard with the 40 MHz FSB. Set L2 to write-through. You should be able to enable BWRT and LINBRST for the Cyrix register config.

Have you tried running Win9x? If so, how did it fare with branch prediction enabled?

How are you connecting the two sound cards, with a male/male-female phono plug Y-adapter?

Will the computer boot up with a Voodoo4 card installed?

Hey there! I knew you'd find your way into this thread! Welcome sir! I don't think I have a 64MB SIMM in my inventory here.. I'll have to dig around. Right now this system is only running DOS (7.1) and Win 3.11 on a single 4GB Fat32 partition. I didn't even think to try Windows 98 in here.. How does that OS perform on a system like this? I've had no experience using this processor/motherboard combination other than DOS/Win 3.x.

For hooking the two cards up - I have a 3" Male to Male 3.5mm (1/8") cable from the GUS out to the SB16 input. It's kinda noisy through the Sb16 card, I must admit, but I don't have a mixer either. Is there a better way I should be doing this?

I can try a Voodoo4 PCI card that I have sitting in the original box. Are there known issues with this setup?

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never placed two sound cards into one computer, so I don't know if there is a better means of accomplishing this goal.

I have never read of any accounts of a Voodoo4 in a socket 3, but I have always been curious if the motherboard will boot up or not. I think you will be the first to try it.

Windows 95c, Windows 98SE, and Windows NT 4.0 run great with 64 MB of RAM.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.