VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this from a local seller for a whopping $10 the other day. I wasn't expecting much, but it's been a real pleasant surprise.

q5NdPzkM.jpg
(click for larger size)

Original configuration was:

Intel i815E chipset
Pentium III 1 GHz (Coppermine)
384 MB RAM (256MB PC133 + 128MB PC100)
10 GB Western Digital HDD
8 GB Maxtor HDD
ATI Rage 128 Pro (Dell OEM - yuck)
Sound Blaster Audio PCI 64 (also Dell OEM, but not as yuck - see below)

The CPU was already maxed out, but the rest of the machine needed some work. I yanked out the PC100 memory and the Maxtor drive, and swapped the Rage 128 for a Voodoo3 3000. I was expecting the sound card to be trouble, but the Sound Blaster PCI 128 drivers came through for me once again (Creative's latest set seems to work with all ES1373 chips, regardless of packaging). The case fan was unbearably loud at first, but a few drops of machine oil did the trick nicely.

I didn't really need another Windows 98 machine, but I'm glad I took a chance on this one. The case has Dell quality written all over it, and the performance as configured is really respectable. I'm happily tearing through Descent 3 on this rig at the moment, hoping to finally finish it this time! If I didn't already have my 1.4 GHz Tualatin machine, this Dell would serve almost as well as a go-to Win9x box. Very impressed.

Last edited by maximus on 2016-11-26, 20:18. Edited 1 time in total.

PCGames9505

Reply 2 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the emty case from one of those and just gave away another one. Great systems! The stock PSU is heavy and adequate but if it needs replaced keep in mind that you will need to buy or build an adapter as Dell used a proprietary pinout. AFAIK these will take the modded Tualatin and the motherboard maxes out at 512mb of ram. Mine came stock with a 866 coppermine, 512mb of ram, a Creative 16mb TNT, 10gb Seagate and a SB Live! Oddly enough the paperwork for it says that it was sold in 2003.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got the Slot 1 version (XPS T500) but still in the same case. I mounted the HDD under the floppy, don't like it sitting nose down in the front. but apart from that its a nice easy to work on case. Everyone always mentions the non standard ATX connector which is probably a good thing just in case you don't know but the PSU is good quality so not really an issue

Reply 4 of 10, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Private_Ops wrote:

That case is clean, very nice. Got any shots of the guts?

You betcha! Sorry for the delay.

nW8YfF3d.jpg

GHEZ8FSA.jpg

Last edited by maximus on 2016-11-26, 20:20. Edited 1 time in total.

PCGames9505

Reply 5 of 10, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Dimension 4100 is an amazing machine. 😀 The only things that would make it perfect for me are ISA and Tualatin support, but as it is, it's a very capable performer for Win9x games.

Reply 6 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

The Dimension 4100 is an amazing machine. 😀 The only things that would make it perfect for me are ISA and Tualatin support, but as it is, it's a very capable performer for Win9x games.

I asked the South Korean seller with the modded chips and he said that his cpu's were compatible with the 4100 😀 and as far as audio goes you cant go wrong with an Aureal Vortex 2 card for pci

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 10, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I'm popping in from the other thread.

Yep, I too picked up one of these for $10 from a guy on CL. Mine is not as nice as yours though. The case exterior is much dirtier with some numbers marked on it in permanent ink. I'll try to clean that off someday.

The one I found was also heavily used. It had so much dirt, dust, and hair inside of it that I'm sure airflow ceased completely several years back. I'm surprised the CPU and HDD still functioned at all, but they did. Mine had a P3-866 in it which I have replaced with a 1ghz CPU. It also has a SB Live Value, PCI modem, and a PCI NetGear NIC. For ODDs, it had both a Sony CDRW and a Samsung DVD player. I've since repurposed these two drives and replaced them with some other spare CDRWs I had. I left the 384mb of PC133 alone and won't bother upgrading that. This will be a Win98SE machine. There was no video card, but I installed a GF4 Ti4800SE. I've also dropped in a PCI USB 2.0 card and a PCI WiFi adapter. I've removed the modem and will probably dump it.

I'm not quite sure what I'll do with this PC. I guess I'll just hang onto it as a spare or keep it around in case somebody wants to borrow it and play some old video games. I know you can install those pin-modded Tualatin-S 1400 CPUs in these and they work fine. I'm just not interested in dumping any more cash into this system. I also don't want to task the 200W PSU more than I already am.

My favorite part of this Dell 4100 is the Quantum HDD. I don't know if it's just old and its bearings are failing or if it's supposed to whine/click/grind like it does, but either way I really like it. It sounds really "retro".

One of these days I'll post some pics of this system after I finish getting it put together.

Reply 8 of 10, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess we can count these as two Craigslist success stories 😀 My machine was in generally excellent shape when I got it. Either it never got much use, or the previous seller cleaned it regularly. It even had a seemingly clean install of XP that I promptly nuked to make room for 98 SE.

However, it did come with the requisite broken optical drive - the TDK, in this case. I don't have any beige 5.25" drive blanks that fit, so I'm just leaving it in for now. Is it just me, or do optical drives have a super high failure right relative to other components?

The only other problem I found was the noisy case fan. Man, that bugger was loud... I guess that was a common problem with this model. The machine oil has it behaving well for the time being, but I imagine it will need to be replaced eventually.

Great machine overall, though. No need to pour lots of money into it... works great as-is.

PCGames9505

Reply 9 of 10, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maximus wrote:

The only other problem I found was the noisy case fan. Man, that bugger was loud... I guess that was a common problem with this model. The machine oil has it behaving well for the time being, but I imagine it will need to be replaced eventually.

You mean the one doing double-duty as combination exhaust and CPU cooler? I figured mine was just ancient, but it's really loud too. When I got it, it was barely spinning at all. I didn't have any machine oil handy and didn't feel like making a special trip to Ace Hardware, so I put a couple drops of 5W30 in it. I mean hey, cars are machines too, and it's oil, so we're legit. 😎 It spins now, but it's really noisy. It sounds like it is grinding itself to death. I'll probably replace it at some point when it annoys me sufficiently. Did you notice the temp sensor built into the fan? I guess it's how the motherboard is monitoring the system temps.

Reply 10 of 10, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:

Did you notice the temp sensor built into the fan?

I did not notice that. I guess it would help explain the non-standard pin order on the connector. Replacing the fan might be tricky if the motherboard is expecting to get temperature data.

PCGames9505