VOGONS

Reply 40 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
mockingbird wrote:

I hope you didn't pay that much to fix your board. Whoever fixed it did not replace all the caps that need replacing.

😕

The Asus board hasn't been recapped at all (at least not to my knowledge). You're probably talking about my Soyo Pentium 4 board here, and the work was done by Chris at Badcaps.net; if you have any issues with the recap job, take it up with him. I'm just glad someone was willing to try and fix it.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 41 of 47, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

The Asus board hasn't been recapped at all (at least not to my knowledge). You're probably talking about my Soyo Pentium 4 board here, and the work was done by Chris at Badcaps.net; if you have any issues with the recap job, take it up with him. I'm just glad someone was willing to try and fix it.

My mistake... I misread your post and thought you received the Asus board back from a re-capping job. Yea, I saw the Soyo repair. Topcat has very good, clean work.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 42 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Circumstances beyond my control have forced me to cancel this project for now. Nothing wrong with the hardware (it was already working great); events in my personal life have taken a turn for the worse and are using much of my time and resources. For now I'll just concentrate on my Pentium 4 build and, if possible, test my Asus P3B-F Slot 1 motherboard to see if it's in working condition. Once I can get things under control I'll bring the Understudy back to life.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 43 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

After a long delay, I can finally return to The Understudy project. It will be headed in a new direction this time however; my previous plans are no longer practical.

I have already obtained some additional hardware to restart and complete this build, and the CUSL2-C is prepped up and ready to go for a recap early in March (need to save some more pennies first 😅 ). I will use a different OS, and also take my time until it's fully completed - real-life priorities still come first.

I'll just leave this pic here for now to give an idea of what I have in mind.

4G4DOrOh.png

I will update this topic with a link once the project is up and running once again ^^.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 44 of 47, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good choice of parts, but this PC screams for a Vortex 2 sound card. Also, 3Dfx Voodoo4 or GeForce2 Ultra would fit better such a powerful CPU. Even though 3Dfx Voodoo graphics cards stack up pretty well with higher CPUs, but who plays video games at 640x480 resolution anyway...

Reply 45 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

A good choice of parts, but this PC screams for a Vortex 2 sound card. Also, 3Dfx Voodoo4 or GeForce2 Ultra would fit better such a powerful CPU. Even though 3Dfx Voodoo graphics cards stack up pretty well with higher CPUs, but who plays video games at 640x480 resolution anyway...

I have another retro build with related hardware to what you're suggesting here:

My "Quick'n'Dirty" Slot 1 build

Go to the bottom of my original post to see what changes I've made there so far.

As for Vortex 2, Voodoo 4 or GF2 Ultra, that won't happen. I'm not into 3D positional audio or headphone gaming (and will reject any suggestions to the contrary), and finding more PCI sound and AGP video cards is not in my to do list (I already have quite a few to choose from).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 46 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

This project is now finished. Go here to see the final result:

My last PC builds - and Thanks for All the Fish . . .

Three down, one to go. The End is near.....

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 47 of 47, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stermy57 wrote on 2015-02-26, 09:40:
Great System! There are some differents between Asus cusl2 and cusl2-c Asus cusl2-c has problems with high fsb frequency Is hard […]
Show full quote

Great System!
There are some differents between Asus cusl2 and cusl2-c
Asus cusl2-c has problems with high fsb frequency
Is hard to reach 180mhz!
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2617082

If you recap it with decent jap caps (or poly) to get rid of the OST garbage you would probably achieve a higher stable FSB.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.