VOGONS

My 486 Computer

Topic actions

First post, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Nice to see you guys, all interested into old hardware! I am also collecting old stuff and I'm happy I found this Forum.

Long story short: I have a strong MS-DOS background and I love the "magic" of old computers.

Long story long: I had my first real PC in 1993. It was an 80386SX/25MHz made by Kenitec. It was equipped with 40Mo hard disc and 2Mo RAM. I learned assembler and Pascal on it and played loads of games! I really loved that machine. However it's usable life-cycle ending was imminent as it could not run Doom and compiling was getting slower as my projects grew. When I ditched the machine, in 1998, I bought an AMD K6-II/500MHz which I had for some good years. Then I lost track of systems.

Unfortunately, I never had my own 486 system. My (rich) friends back then had 486DX2/66MHz machines with 341Mo disc drives and 8Mo RAM. I always wanted one but never had the chance of owning such a system.

As we can see, (many) years have passed and I finally assembled my 486 computer. It is not yet finished because I am waiting for an AMD 586/133MHz to arrive in the mail next week. Anyway, here are the specifications for what I currently assembled.

- CPU: Intel 486DX4/100MHz (write-through version)
- RAM: 64Mo (2 x 72pin SIMM)
- Mainboard: Tomato Zida 4DPS Version 2.11
- L2 Cache: 256Ko
- Video: Matrox Millenium II with 4Mo RAM (PCI)
- SCSI: Adaptec 1542CF (ISA)
- Network: Intel EtherExpress 16TP (ISA)
- Audio: Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II (ISA)
- HD0: Quantum Fireball CR 4.2Go (2 identical sized partitions)
- HD1: Quantum Fireball EX 4.3Go (2 identical sized partitions)
- FD0: Sony 1.44Mo
- CD0: IBM SCSI CD-ROM
- Case: Elite - Unidentified (any help would be appreciated)
- Keyboard: small form factor 1988 Compaq PS/2 (I exchanged the cable with an AT)

It took me some years to source all these parts but I finally got them all and assembled this retro machine.
Mind the display, I already configured it for 133MHz, but for the moment the real speed is 100MHz.
The CPU radiator is from another kind of processor with another kind of fixture. I applied Arctic Silver paste and fixed the radiator with small pieces of UTP wire directly to the CPU socket fixture ears. Shame I cannot find a more versatile way of attaching this radiator. I am not giving up on it because it allows for a very silent PC. I forgot to say that my PSU fan is powered via the 5V rail so it produces close to zero noise. However I don't recommend doing this to your power supplies. In my machine I did some thorough tests and I found out that in my case it works without overheating or any other malfunctions.
In order to make an idea about the noise level of this machine, picture this: I can hear only the faint buzzing sound of the spindle motor of the disc. And disc seek noises (which I adore anyway).

Here's some pictures of the machine.

2vcgqau.jpg

21c5kyu.jpg

mwczeu.jpg

2z6uhwz.jpg

25a27ok.jpg

2eyewyq.jpg

717or5.jpg

20h69sz.jpg

14nl18n.jpg

And remote control through LAN for when I do old school assembly and Pascal programming (I still have some projects in progress). I find that the Macintosh keyboard is way more suited for fast-paced programming than the old Compaq dinosaur. I have lost my patience writing slowly, and over time, my skills improved so I need a fast keyboard.

2s9or2p.jpg

346q82d.jpg

And some benchmarks -- I'd say quite good values for an old machine.

ng7f8.png

Greetings,
ALEKS

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface
3.5" & 5.25" FDD | 4 x 512 Mb CF | HP 82341D Interface | Intel EtherExpress 16

Reply 1 of 25, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To compare it thoroughly (at 100 MHz) with other PC you may take part in Phil's testing.
And if it has Win9x I'd test also speed in DOSBox, as it may be useful to play some very old games on top 486. To do it easy is good to run inside DOSBox the Speed Test by Agababyan wich has significant base to compare (with DOSBox's settings: core=dynamic, cputype=486_slow, cycles=max; others default). Would be interesting to see can 486 give at least 286 level there. If you had no deals with DOSBox: to mount a folder as virtual drive C in DOSBox is needed to input in DOSBox's .conf section [autoexec] 2 strings:
mount c c:\somefolder\
c:

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 2 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VERY nice cabling and tidy system over all.
Wish I had a 3 digit display. I have a 2 digit I saved from a case long ago but only have 1 PC below 120Mhz

Reply 3 of 25, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

High-end 486 - I like it! Fulfilling a childhood dream - even better!

Don't like the SFF keyboard - If I wanted to use one, I'd choose a laptop 🤣

What's the tube amp for - did you build it yourself?

Reply 4 of 25, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Tertz, I am not very much into benchmarks and performance testing. I just did the small test battery just to have an idea of what kind of machine I managed to build. But I surely did read parts of the thread you indicated to me. Thank you! If I will find some spare time in the close future, I might decide to do some other benchmarks, but only after I receive the 586/133MHz CPU. But for now I'm sticking with my MS-DOS developing work and playing games, time permits, that is.

chinny22, I am a little obsessed by cable management, and I really like everything tidy. It provides a nice access to components, good airflow, and aesthetics, why not. It just happened that my case had the 3 digit LED display. I just wouldn't have ever dreamed of owning such stuff some 10 to 15 years ago. I spotted it at the University, while visiting a good friend, prepared for dumping and recycling. Naturally, I took it and thrashed the internals (I can't remember what it was, but I'm kind of sorry I ditched the CPU -- it might have been a Cyrix 133MHz) then assembled this PC.

oerk, I don't particularly like the keyboard too, but I am still searching for an old IBM Model M, or something else from that era, that is in good shape. They have become a scarce resource here. The tube amp is just a small audio buffer between digital sources and final amplification. Yes, I built it myself back when time was not a problem for me (cca. 10 years ago).

PS: I am having in progress another retro build, this time a Pentium II/400MHz. But this will be presented in another thread, when I gather enough components to go. This machine I'm planning to use for games such as Sin, Half-Life, and the like, on Windows 98.

ALEKS

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface

Reply 5 of 25, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ALEKS wrote:

The tube amp is just a small audio buffer between digital sources and final amplification. Yes, I built it myself back when time was not a problem for me (cca. 10 years ago).

Nice! What's in it? 12AX7?

Ah yeah, the time problem... I know it too well.

Reply 6 of 25, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is a Russian made 6H23P tube. It's European equivalent would be the E88CC tube.

Reply 7 of 25, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ALEKS wrote:

PS: I am having in progress another retro build, this time a Pentium II/400MHz. But this will be presented in another thread, when I gather enough components to go. This machine I'm planning to use for games such as Sin, Half-Life, and the like, on Windows 98.

For Win9x I'd think about P3 600 MHz Coppermine. Late Win9x games had it or higher recommended.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 8 of 25, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fact is that I am having a very nice pristine Intel SR440BX board that accepts either Slot 1 Pentium II or Pentium III processors, up to 550MHz. I am having both, a Pentium II 400MHz and a Pentium III 550MHz. I am not sure what is the difference in computing power between them, but as soon as I gather other components, I will do some quick tests to see which one suits my purpose best.

If I will stumble across a better vintage board (in pristine condition, of course), then it would be easy to change the internals.

Reply 9 of 25, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ALEKS wrote:

I am not sure what is the difference in computing power between them

Having Katmai 550 is other situation. Katmai 550 and Coppermine 600 should not to have significant difference (<10%). While Katmai 550 is noticable ~35% faster than PII 400, - such is by clocks and by Quake fps in Phil's testing. So games and applications befor XP era, - up to 2001 year, should work fine with your P3 550.

Last edited by Tertz on 2015-06-17, 21:42. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 10 of 25, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for this great explanation regarding the computing power differences between the Deschutes core Pentium II at 400MHz and Katmai core Pentium III at 550MHz. Now I am 100% positive that I will use the Katmai CPU for this build.
I have also sourced 512Mb of PC-100 RAM "new" (as in never used) and a Seagate Barracuta ATA IV 20Gb disc. The case is an InWin Q500, that looks promising. I am eager to build this machine but lack of time (I'll be leaving abroad next week for half a month) will force me to wait until mid-July to start assembling the parts together.

Reply 11 of 25, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very Nice system you build there. Good thing you managed to make it so silent in operation.
I noted 42,36 points in Speedsys with the same DX4-100 in my VLB based 486. That is in Write Trough mode as well.

ALEKS wrote:

The fact is that I am having a very nice pristine Intel SR440BX board that accepts either Slot 1 Pentium II or Pentium III processors, up to 550MHz. I am having both, a Pentium II 400MHz and a Pentium III 550MHz.

Here is a small review I did about the SR440BX Motherboard:
Re: Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide
Are you sure your Pentium III 550 is a Katmai?, as there are also Coppermines of that speed. Well.. i see it is in your signature, so i supose you got it running already.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 25, by jhl2600

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ALEKS wrote:

I find that the Macintosh keyboard is way more suited for fast-paced programming than the old Compaq dinosaur.

I wouldn't imagine by much 😜

To each his own though I guess, I would get a nice mechanical keyboard like a Model M.

Nice set-up though overall, I really like it. I'd like to add a 486 machine to my collection at some point, but I've never found a good one in the wild and people selling on the internet way over-estimate what PC-compatibles are worth.

I've had my system running - I'll admit it's not the best
The data isn't right, and the response time is a mess
It crashes every hour, and it isn't worth a damn,
But I'm satisfied because it runs just like an IBM!

Reply 14 of 25, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Than you all for your appreciation of this 486 class machine.

gerwin, I really like silent computers, but I also like the sound of the actuator moving on the platters. So this is what I am mostly aiming for: no (or less - undervolted) fans, big heatsinks, and low-noise spindle motor hard discs. Actuator noise -- not a problem.

Regarding the Pentium III, I am positive it is a Katmai as it is Slot 1, not Socket. I am not sure if Coppermine exists on Slot 1. Correct me if I'm wrong.
And yes, I did started the board to see how it fires up. It's in good working order. However I'm far away from home now and I'm only dreaming of finishing the assembly of this second machine.

PS: I have read the review, thank you. I like the writing. By the way, do you have any idea whether the Pentium III clocked at 500MHz can run with silent cooling -- only a generous heatsink?

jhl2600, I'm still waiting for an IBM (or clone) mechanical keyboard on the local flea market. I'm hoping I'd find one soon. You know, there was a time when I had many, I even gave them for free 15+ years ago... Now I'm willing to pay for one. Life's crazy, you know.

Regards,

Reply 15 of 25, by jhl2600

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ALEKS wrote:

jhl2600, I'm still waiting for an IBM (or clone) mechanical keyboard on the local flea market. I'm hoping I'd find one soon. You know, there was a time when I had many, I even gave them for free 15+ years ago... Now I'm willing to pay for one. Life's crazy, you know.

I know what you mean, I always regret buying something I used to have back when it was current technology but gave away when it got old because I wasn't really thinking of amassing a collection or anything like that at the time.

I've had my system running - I'll admit it's not the best
The data isn't right, and the response time is a mess
It crashes every hour, and it isn't worth a damn,
But I'm satisfied because it runs just like an IBM!

Reply 16 of 25, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ALEKS wrote:

Regarding the Pentium III, I am positive it is a Katmai as it is Slot 1, not Socket. I am not sure if Coppermine exists on Slot 1. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have two 533MHz coppermine CPU's myself, one slotted and one socketted. It seems the same variation is there for the 550MHz model; sspecs SL3V5 + SL44X being slotted. (source: CPU world)

ALEKS wrote:

And yes, I did started the board to see how it fires up. It's in good working order. However I'm far away from home now and I'm only dreaming of finishing the assembly of this second machine.

PS: I have read the review, thank you. I like the writing. By the way, do you have any idea whether the Pentium III clocked at 500MHz can run with silent cooling -- only a generous heatsink?

OK patience then. Glad you liked the mini motherboard review.

Personally I try to avoid running computer electronics so hot, that I cannot touch the heatsink anymore. With that in mind, a lot of potential for passive operation is found in the Pentium III coppermine @ 500..550MHz. As the coppermine can be undervolted to 1,3 Volt, which significantly decreases heat dissipation. At the mentioned speed and voltage they would do fine without a CPU fan. (Though a single system fan may still be in order, to get some cooler air in the case.) See my experiment.
The above does not hold true for Pentium III Katmai though, as it uses the same manufacturing process as the Pentium II Deschutes: Suppose at least 1,9 Volt is required to run a Katmai.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 17 of 25, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice machine. Are you running FreeDOS? And if not, what version of MS-DOS?

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html

Reply 19 of 25, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you can run the 550 Katmai passively if you have one of those nice big massive OEM heatsinks. I stripped a full tower Compaq last year with the same cpu and it was passive with the thinnest little aluminum Celeron style cooler possible, and that cpu tested good in another board.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1