VOGONS

First post, by SalvaJeR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I explain it all in the video. I hope someone here has the answer. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppUXMzrGINE

Last edited by SalvaJeR on 2015-08-06, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Copied from a post I just made for a user that is experiencing a similar problem:

Refer to this link as it contains a patch that might address your problem (Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/239887
I've attached the file (004756us8.exe).

You also might want to install the IDE Hard Drive Cache Package (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/273017). File also attached.

Alternatively, download and install the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 2.1a (there is a fan made website that has continued this project by adding other functionality to Windows 98SE and is currently at version 3.44).
It contains a number of Microsoft patches/fixes that should address most of the issues you're likely to experience.
You only need to install the main updates (the rest are optional).

Attachments

• Filename
    004756us8.exe
    File size
    504.01 KiB
    Downloads
    179 downloads
    File comment
    Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    273017USA8.EXE
    File size
    224.19 KiB
    Downloads
    95 downloads
    File comment
    IDE HDD Cache Package
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Copied from a post I just made for a user that is experiencing a similar problem: 🤣

I know its annoying but I also know its not deadly. When you stuck with "Windows shutting down...blah..." window, just wait for a couple of minutes and shut down your computer. Nothing bad will happen. I had many rigs that do that to me, and even during the days, when you make one last update or install that one last utility, this was happening, sooner or later. The matter was not if, but when. We used 98 machines like this forever at that times without anything bad happening.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 9, by SalvaJeR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installing version 2.1 of the Unofficial Service Pack and the Shutdown Utility seemed to have fixed the shutdown and entering DOS issue. I still have the certain DOS games video flickering problem. I am going to see if computer guy nearby has an old video card I can test and buy. Thank you for the help so far fellow users.

Reply 6 of 9, by SalvaJeR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed all the issues I mentioned above. The only thing left is hooking my PC Speaker back. The thing is I do not have the motherboard's manual and no one online seems to either. Is it safe to test all the jumpers until it works including while the machine is powered on? Thanks.

Reply 7 of 9, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's hard to hurt anything messing with front front panel connectors. I doubt you could do any damage hooking a speaker up to the wrong place. Got a picture of the header?

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 9 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

To be on the safe side: With the PC powered off, use a continuity checker to find pin(s) that are connected to 5V. That's one side of the speaker plug. Directly next to it, there should be a pin that carries GND, that's the direction where the plug should reach for the other side.

1+1=10