VOGONS

First post, by OverDrive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Vogons,

First post, but long time lurker and I figure to go ahead and share. I been collecting Retro Mobile Gaming laptops that are 9 inches or smaller. My goal was to find the most mobile retro laptop that could run Dos\Windows 98 with a bunch of my old nostalgic games natively, and yes using the "Retro" means different dates to everyone. Each model has it's pro's and cons.

Below is what I have so far, I believe the best model that I have come across the supports most all Windows 98/Dos games (Including 3D acceleration) is my Toshiba Libretto U100. I have also started making youtube videos regarding these models. I have some other models not listed here, but heres the ones I use the most. The models below are roughly the same size as a VCR Cassette Let's start with my oldest retro mobile gaming model.

Toshiba Libretto 110CT

Video Review by me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr25E0JoL0A

Toshiba110CT-1.jpg
Filename
Toshiba110CT-1.jpg
File size
248.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Toshiba110CT-2.jpg
Filename
Toshiba110CT-2.jpg
File size
255.16 KiB
Views
File license

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium 1 (P5) with MMX at (233MHz)
Chipset: Custom Toshiba Chipset (Similar to a Intel 430TX)
Ram: 96Mb of EDO Memory (Using modified Portege card)
HDD: 8GB Compact Flash Card @ 800x with PATA Adapter
Screen: 7.1" TFT Active Matrix LCD
Video: Neomagic 2160 - 128xd (2Mb Video Memory)
Sound: Yamaha OPL3-SA3

Toshiba Libretto U100

Toshibau100-1.jpg
Filename
Toshibau100-1.jpg
File size
232.6 KiB
Views
File license
Toshibau100-2.jpg
Filename
Toshibau100-2.jpg
File size
278.01 KiB
Views
File license

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium M at 1.2 GHz
Chipset: Intel 855GME
Ram: 1Gb of DDR Memory
HDD: 32GB KingSpec PATA SSD
Screen: 7.2" TFT Active Matrix LCD (Glossy)
Video: Intel Extreme 2 (Works great for 3D gaming in 1996-2001 ERA)
Sound: Analog Devices AD1981B (Hadn't had an issue with DOS games recognizing this as a Sound Blaster)

Sony Vaio PCG-C1XS (Picturebook)

Video Review by me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QIaMFxrtWQ

Sony-1.jpg
Filename
Sony-1.jpg
File size
318.57 KiB
Views
File license

11850758_10206065943061384_378037197576492401_o.jpg

CPU: Intel Pentium II at 400 MHz
Chipset: Intel 440ZX-M (Same as a 440BX with Mobility enhancements)
Ram: 64 Mb of SDram Memory
HDD: 16GB KingSpec PATA SSD
Screen: 8.9" Active Matrix LCD
Video: NeoMagic MagicGraph 256AV (2.5 Mb)
Sound: Yamaha DS-XG

Last edited by OverDrive on 2015-10-27, 14:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice laptops! How do you like Libretto's joystick?

I've been trying to upgrade my 70CT with a 8GB CF card too, no luck so far 🙁 How did you manage to do that?

Reply 2 of 6, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! You've managed to find models that work very well for retro gaming without having to resort to emulation - that's something in itself.

Specs: CPU: Intel Pentium M at 1.2 GHz Chipset: Intel 855GME Ram: 1Gb of DDR Memory HDD: 32GB KingSpec PATA SSD Screen: 7.2" TFT […]
Show full quote

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium M at 1.2 GHz
Chipset: Intel 855GME
Ram: 1Gb of DDR Memory
HDD: 32GB KingSpec PATA SSD
Screen: 7.2" TFT Active Matrix LCD (Glossy)
Video: Intel Extreme 2 (Works great for 3D gaming in 1996-2001 ERA)
Sound: Analog Devices AD1981B (Hadn't had an issue with DOS games recognizing this as a Sound Blaster)

Great. Now I'm wondering if I should repurpose my Compaq NC4010 for retro gaming. It's too slow for modern internet anyway...

Reply 3 of 6, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OverDrive, nice devices! 😀 I also have similar subnotebooks - two Sony Vaio PCG-C1VE on Transmeta Crusoe TM5600, Toshiba Portege 3490CT and Toshiba Libretto 100CT. My Libretto is also quite unique because of 96MB RAM in total. But to the point, have you ever tried running Jazz Jackrabbit or Superfrog on your Libretto 110CT? The first one if I remember correctly hangs with white screen and background music when entering new world and the second one despite working really nice, just freeze after some seconds of gameplay. Are you experiencing the same behaviour on your Libretto with this games?

Last edited by Tuxality on 2015-08-19, 21:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by OverDrive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys for your kind words! I was shooting for finding machines that are Intel genuine, with a sound card that are supported in DOS. One quick note for those looking at getting these models. The Toshiba Libretto's I think are the best models for the task. One of my main complaints on the Sony is that there is not "Stretch Screen" or "Display Stretch" in the bios option, making in DOS Game hard to see on the Wide screen display. I tried posting up the BIOS in BIOS-MOD forums to see if it could be unlock but no one seems interested and its little beyond my skill set to start messing around with the bios boot code.

RacoonRider- I have a teardown video for the Libretto 110CT on my youtube channel that explains what I did to get the CF Card working correctly. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdNUJ1Fk3tY

Oerk - Thats awesome thank you for the feedback and recognizing I'm doing this without any emulation. One note on the Libretto U100, the sound card isn't as much as an issue with DOS as the Video card is. I find the Intel Graphics card struggles with VESA emulation within dos. Not sure if this a driver issue or in fact that the graphics card may be to new and doesn't support some of the modes for a few DOS games call for. To counter this, I have to run some games that have this issue in 320x240. On a few extremes I just use DOSBOX. For 3D acceleration within Windows 9X shouldn't be an issue. I haven't found a game within 1996-2001 that wasn't really able to play at full graphics yet.

Tuxality- I haven't tried Jazz Jackrabbit or Superfrog as I don't have those games, but i'll see about locating them and let you know. Ya having 96 megs on the Libretto is nice

Reply 5 of 6, by Borsuq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OverDrive wrote:

Hey Vogons,

Toshiba Libretto U100

Hi! I'm digging this old thread as I just acquired nice Toshiba Libretto U100, and I'm in the process of setting it up as gaming machine.

I have hard time getting sound to work in DOS. And the DN3D's sound setup program says the Sound Blaster is not responding at selected port (220).
Have you been using a sort of software/drivers to get it working?

Thanks!