VOGONS

Toshiba T1850

Topic actions

First post, by kubino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I recently got Toshiba T1850. Seems quite a used, but overal look in good condition. After applying some power in battery slot it powered on 😀

IMG_20150822_204128.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150822_204128.jpg
File size
2.5 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20150822_203923.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150822_203923.jpg
File size
2.5 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

System specs:
CPU : 80386/25
FPU : 80387
FDD : 1.44MB
HDD : 80MB

Now the bad thing, both Floppy and HDD is dead. Seems like there is AT 16bit controller so it will be quite difficult to find hdd replacement 🙁 If anybody have some experiences just let me know.

Thanks for reading! Comments/ideas are highly appreciated! 😊

Reply 1 of 4, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cleaning the floppy drive helps a lot with those older systems.
Cleaned my own Compaq Contura 430cx floppy drive and brought it back to life. It reads all disks well again. 😊

For the HDD I need more info. Is the HDD not detected anymore and/or does the drive make some of those horrible noises.

Reply 2 of 4, by kubino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i disassembled the floppy and seems like belt is worn out... Not a big deal beacuse I'm planning to replace floppy with hxc drive, until I find any working FDD. HDD it's detected by bios (80MB). Seem like it initialize correctly on boot. But when system trie to boot it got some weird noises and system hangs for while.

Reply 3 of 4, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kubino wrote:

i disassembled the floppy and seems like belt is worn out... Not a big deal beacuse I'm planning to replace floppy with hxc drive, until I find any working FDD. HDD it's detected by bios (80MB). Seem like it initialize correctly on boot. But when system trie to boot it got some weird noises and system hangs for while.

Try a low level format on the drive. Might bring it back to life if its been in storage for a long time.
Search on this forum there is an explaination and it's hard for me to find it since I am at work right now 🤣