VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2 days ago, i thought what to do for starting again with one of my retro system builds.. It was still spinning in my brain what was the easiest build to come up with again. ( And which is done very fast)
The biggest problem for now is that i have a few AT class system cases, that can use a little more TLC to get them in a proper condition again.. Most of them need to have some restoration what would take a lot of time.. Which i dont have right now, if i want to start building again. Most of the mainboards i need to check on stabillity, and need to replace the bios too, if i want to use them 23 years longer. That also takes a lot time..
From my view a socket 7 build would be also the easiest build out there to do.. Also this hardware doesnt struggle very much with building.. (things that might can make trouble)

So yesterday i thought which case iam going to use (as temporarily housing) ( the one iam going to use on the final, looks more high-end, but this one it also need some restoration, so the bad i cant use it right now..

Few minutes ago, i started cleaning this case.. The downside, it had some paint spots on the front panel, what was looking very awefull.. So i thought how to remove them.. Scratching wasnt a great thing to do, because of making scratches on the plastics.. There was only one way to remove them, also this wasnt very save as well... I just tried it with some thinner and a cloth.. Trying to wipe them away, or first to make the paint a little bit softer. Most i got a way with scratching with the nail.. And then again a cloth with thinner . I tried not to rub not to much on the same spot, because for getting unevennesses on the front panel..
When the cleaning was done, i took a new cloth with water and dish soap.. Then again the case looks almost great again.. Will soon post a picture of it..

The further plans of this build. I want to build this system because of the windows 95 period.. I really like more the first period of the pentium area (Pentuim 100 - 166MMX) but i think it would be just better if i can run almost everything on this system from that period. So at least an Pentium 233 MMX build would be a great deal, because it represented my first computer (i build myself) i made from my own spended money( when i was 15 years old of age and had a so called job where you also learned for school (and earning some small money).. Only iam not really out if a going for this processor a maybe some faster cyrix processor.. Graphics card i still have to decide (thinking of going for an accellerator card), memory will be 64MB when using 512KB cache, an or 128MB when using 1024 cache. Harddisk will be 20- 30GB IDE unit (which the bios still would detect) I need a lot of harddisk space as possible, when running a lot of games.. Also dont forget, to go right with one voodoo 2 card offcourse for glide mode.
Maybe i want to use two sound cards, but an AWE64 GOLD will be in offcourse..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 1, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe go for a Super Socket 7 based build just so that you can put whatever cpu you decide you want to use in it and treat the AGP slot as a fancy pci slot? It would provide you with USB, AT or ATX form factor depending on what motherboard you use and ps/2 as well which would be nice. Also most SS7 boards are late enough that they have a large cache and a high hard drive limit which is nice. Just a suggestion! 😀 otherwise I would say for intel go for a 430HX chipset based motherboard.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1