VOGONS

Tandy TL/2

Topic actions

First post, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never seen one of these outside a Tandy catalogue so I couldn't resist. 286/8, 640K and the proprietary graphics/sound. Will probably move the 2MB EMS card from my XT over to this and maybe also the SB16. XT-IDE and a quieter fan mod also on the cards. It came with a Tandy-branded TTL monitor so it would be nice to get a Tandy XT-compatible keyboard also, but I'm not holding my breath for one to show up in the UK. Made in the US of A! Boots in seconds to DOS 3.3/Deskmate in ROM. Sorry for the terrible pic.

NOQR7Adl.jpg

Reply 3 of 101, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They sold in the UK really? Wow had no idea.

Yeah i've seen the eBay listing. I'm not interested in the EX or HX models. The version i would like to have is either the SL or the SX.

EDIT: Are you sure Tandys were sold on the UK? I'm almost sure that Tandy 1000's were sold in Australia, and those are 240V.

Reply 4 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, they were sold in UK Tandy stores, check out the last page in this PDF:

http://www.dxarchive.com/mw/pdf/selected_page … e_1986-1987.pdf

I'm not surprised they sold so badly here though. Tandy stores were always dysfunctional and as a kid I remember how unfriendly they were when I went into our local store. There was no way they would have let me try one out, in fact I don't think they were even switched on unless a "serious" customer appeared.

Contrast that to the local Dixons where you could walk up and try out a C64, Atari etc.

I do remember buying some components one day and being asked by a salesman if I was making a bomb 😠 Nothing changes judging by that recent story about the kid taking his homemade clock into school!

Also, cost... a colour Tandy 1000HD with harddrive cost £1600 in 1987. According to the BoE that's £4k in today's money 🤣 Around that time I got my Amstrad CPC which would have cost around £200 with green monitor.

Reply 5 of 101, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never knew that they were sold in europe. I got my T1000 RL/HD from the US. It only needs about 20 Watts.
The Tandy is by far the best PC Entry-machine, because of lot's of supported software.

Not so good is, that there are no 16color Hires 640x200 for
- Windows 1x/2x
- GEM 1.x
- PC-Geos
- Acad
- Deluxepaint

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 101, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

I am looking at buying a RL (with CRT / mouse / keyboard) as well.

I thought you had giving up on the hobby and were pretty much selling everything on amibay. 😕

Reply 9 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your new house is massive Peter, you have plenty of space for a few old computers 😀

So it begins... ordered some DRAM to bring it up to 786k, a YMF card to experiment with and hopefully get Adlib and a normal joystick port, and the obligatory Gotek with 5.25->3.5 bracket.

Also ordered a few bits to make another XT-IDE, I already had a spare PCB and flash ROM. I'm going to try a plug-in DOM for simplicity this time.

I might stick the EGA card in as well for those few games that don't work with Tandy, if the vswitch util allows switching between EGA and Tandy graphics. No plans for VGA here, I have other machines for that.

Reply 10 of 101, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

I might stick the EGA card in as well for those few games that don't work with Tandy, if the vswitch util allows switching between EGA and Tandy graphics. No plans for VGA here, I have other machines for that.

What EGA card to you use? How's the CGA compatibility with EGA cards?

Great machine BTW!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 14 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/ut … es/vswitc01.zip

That utility says it can switch between Tandy and VGA on the fly. However it also says it doesn't work with EGA.
Maybe I could switch the EGA card into MDA mode with the dipswitches when I want to use Tandy graphics, and back to EGA mode when I want to use EGA.

Reply 15 of 101, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EGA = TGA in Lowres they are the same (colorwise but not featureset)

Tandy-GFX/Sound:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157659228835886

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 17 of 101, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

That utility says it can switch between Tandy and VGA on the fly.

The ability to switch between a VGA card and the onboard TGAII chipset using the aforementioned utility makes for an exceptionally versatile system. This is the configuration that I use with my own TL/2, if you're open to any sort of suggestion.

Reply 18 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I've seen your awesome TL/2! It's a beast 😀

Not much to report on this, I opened it up and replaced the CMOS battery. It needs a good clean inside and out.
I have quite a few parts either waiting or on the way:

128k Video RAM upgrade for the TGA
Gotek
SB Pro 2
80287 co-pro
XT-IDE
512MB disk on module

The floppy drive is looking worse for wear (dead spider included) but I have a couple of DD drives that might serve as replacement.

uWt2XRKl.jpg
uDSfE7Xl.jpg

Reply 19 of 101, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh dear that floppy drive looks like something out of Indiana Jones - are you just going to replace it with a Gotek?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.