Tandy TL/2

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 101, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Will try one of my other DD drives, failing that I think a HD drive can be modded.

I'm sure I have an extra drive that you are welcome to, if you end up wanting one.

carlostex wrote:

I think a Sound Blaster CT1320C would be a better option for this system. That way you would get Sound Blaster, Gameblaster and Tandy all in one.

Unfortunately, given the PSSJ's use of DMA1, and the similar use and lack of sharing on the part of the early Sound Blaster cards, installing a CT1320C or CT1350B in the TL/2 results in a conflict that manages to render both the Tandy and SB DACs unusable. Likewise, while the SBPro1 and SBPro2 have a "DMA sharing" jumper, I've found that DMA1 can still not be used with either card when installed in a PSSJ-bearing Tandy. You can, however, configure either SBPro card to use DMA3 though, which breaks some software compatibility, but does allow for proper operation.

In my experience, software-configurable soundcards tend to work best alongside the PSSJ. A PAS16 works great for this, as does the AudioTrix Pro, or any of the YMF-based cards, etc. In such configurations, the Tandy DAC will yield to the expansion card's use of DMA1, allowing for proper Sound Blaster functionality. In my own TL/2, I have one config/autoexec menu option that initializes the AudioTrix Pro (for Sound Blaster compatibility), and another that leaves the card uninitialized, for when I want to use the Tandy DAC instead.

Reply 23 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great info and thanks for the floppy offer, I will be in touch if I don't have any luck with my spares.

Interesting about the sound cards. I have a spare YMF card but wasn't sure if it would work. May well put it in the Tandy then, and use the SB Pro in my XT.

Ideally I'd like the SB sound to be output via the internal speaker too, perhaps with some kind of line in arrangement.

Reply 24 of 101, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Ideally I'd like the SB sound to be output via the internal speaker too, perhaps with some kind of line in arrangement.

Yet another reason to consider a PAS16. 😀
ISA sound card with onboard speaker

Here's an example of this in practice, in fact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkvnWidDpIM

In that setup, the Tandy's internal output header has been disconnected from the speaker, and is instead connected to the CD-audio input header on the PAS16, with the speaker then directly attached to the PAS16.

Reply 26 of 101, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tandy themselves devised a way to use the internal speaker with a SB16 in the Sensation! II. It involved an adapter board plugged into the Waveblaster header! In that setup the PC speaker connection from the motherboard went to the modem (it was voice enabled), and looped to the SB16 PC speaker input. The adapter board appears to have tapped the line out signal available on the Waveblaster header. That machine also had front mounted volume buttons along with a headphone jack and microphone input (powered by the wire to JP14).

http://support.radioshack.com/support_compute … doc17/17442.htm

Reply 27 of 101, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

The adapter board appears to have tapped the line out signal available on the Waveblaster header.

No, there is no line output signal available on the SB16 Waveblaster header. The Tandy SB16 daughterboard taps into the OPSL/OPSR jumper block for the audio output, but does draw power from the Waveblaster header.

Stefan Lindberg's photo:
sb16_daughterboard.jpg

Reply 28 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonder what the logic on that daughterboard actually does. I use the diagnostic header on the SB in my XT to get a speaker out, but it's a direct connection in that case.

For the TL/2, I could see the following working: Tandy line/speaker out -> SB line in or CD in -> Internal speaker via diagnostic header

Reply 29 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Upgraded the memory to 768k. This prevents the Tandy graphics from stealing conventional memory.
On the TL/2, there are 4 sockets for 64k x 4 120ns DRAM. No other changes are required.

Case off

ybqBpwNl.jpg

Empty & populated
8gUvo6Pl.jpg
R655xNOl.jpg

Well that was straightforward

o47IJR7l.jpg

Boots to Deskmate in ROM 😎

i8O0aU0l.jpg

I also took the PSU out and cleaned it up. Plan to replace the fan with a Noctua.

hdwDIB7l.jpg
KITO25ll.jpg

Lots of custom logic compared to the 5160

6JDn75sl.jpg

Reply 30 of 101, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Upgraded the memory to 768k. This prevents the Tandy graphics from stealing conventional memory.

It's actually the other way around. 😀 Upgrading to "768K" means the video controller no longer has to present the unused portion of its 128K memory back to the system.

In an unexpanded system, the video memory amount can yet be restricted to 16K or 32K, from the 64K default, through use of the advanced setup utility. This, of course, results in a greater amount of conventional memory, while potentially breaking some (mostly 640x200x16 resolution) application compatibility.

Reply 32 of 101, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

any idea why some tandy-related programs do not work on my tandy1000-rl/hd. e.g. XENON1 ?
It starts, but after the title-screen, I only see the static thing but the game freezes.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 33 of 101, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

XENON1

Not entirely on-topic, but this seems to be an issue with the software, which may or may not be limited to the TDC version. I experience the same in-game crash when attempting to use Xenon's TGA graphics selection on the RL, SL, TL/2, and even DOSBox, when using a Tandy configuration. You might want to run this by ripsaw8080.

Reply 35 of 101, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He's one of several Jedi Masters who frequent this forum. With Xenon, DOSBox' debugger shows runtime errors similar to others that he's addressed, some of which were resolved by the use of LOADFIX. Based on my own unsuccessful attempts, this doesn't appear to be such a case, but he might have some recommendations otherwise.

Reply 37 of 101, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some good progress yesterday. Mainly cleaning, but also installed a 287 and fixed the floppy drive.
I also caved in and bought a Tandy Enhanced Keyboard from US eBay, as I'm using the Model F from my XT right now.

Rocking the 287! More or less pointless, but for a few quid why not?
rXN5hT6l.jpg

Cleaned up the case, it's looking much better. Also popped out the cover for the 5.25 bay as that's where the Gotek will be.
k0myni9l.jpg

I was going originally going to junk the floppy as it has a few rust spots. However, it's a special pinout and none of my spare DD drives match, so it would be some work to adapt one. I decided to clean all the dust and dead spiders out of the old one, lube the head rails and clean the heads. Looking much better now and it seems to be working fine!
dB4FsPYl.jpg

Reply 38 of 101, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice job on the cleaning bjt! Very nice system you have there. I have 2 tl/2 systems and they are some of my most prized retro computers in my hoard. It's amazing how those drives work so well after all these years. Glad you got it clean and working again. There is a way to use standard floppy drives with the tl2 but it's much better to use the original IMHO.

I'm still looking for a 287 chip for a decent price. I know it doesn't do much but it's really nice to have.

Anyways. I look forward to see what else you will do with this fine specimen of a tandy! Lol.