VOGONS

First post, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys!!

Let me introduce you to the project I’m currently working on. In some way it’s based on our first pc, a Pentium 166MMX that my dad bought back in Dec 1997, when I was only 6/7 years old. Recently, I found the original bill dated 22/Dec/1997 describing the hardware it originally had:

Pentium 166 MMX
32MB EDO
Intel TX mainboard (unknown model)
2,1GB HDD
S3 Virge 2MB
‘Multimedia pack’ (which contained a SB Vibra16, 24x cd-rom unit, 2.0 speakers and a microphone)
AT case, 14 inch color monitor, a HP Deskjet printer, etc.

I used it mainly for gaming purposes as I was a little child haha, and some of them are still kept in my closet like treasures! 🤣

Later, in 2001, we had it updated with a bigger hard-drive and some more ram (256mb-PC133) but it didn’t last long due to the lack of AGP and processing power, when newer games started to refuse working. So we bought one of the earliest and shiny Pentium 4 and installed the new parts the MMX had before, and got rid of the old computer.

So this build is more nostalgic than anything, I remember it as the pc I started to raise interest on computers and technology, which gradually increased till last year when I graduated in Automation & Electronics engineering 😊 😊 .

Some time ago I started to read this wonderful forum and decided to build a similar computer, an ‘improved version’ of the original one, just for fun and to eventually play the games I had back then and even the ones I never had the chance to try and right now are available on the Internet as ‘abandonware’. I neither have patience/interest nor enough free time to play newer computer games in my daily pc but in this case it’s all about nostalgia!!

This ‘new’ machine has the following specs, with this configuration works like a charm for my purposes:

Pentium 166 MMX overclocked to 250MHz (100x2.5 and stable!!)
512MB SDRAM (the maximum the chipset is capable to cache, a huge amount but it allows me to disable virtual memory)
Jetway 542C - ALI Aladdin V motherboard
nVidia GF2-TI 64MB AGP (overkill, but recycled from a junk pc, good VGA/TV output)
HD 80GB IDE (the same as above, enough space for maaaany ISO files)
SB AWE64
Windows ME (out-of-the-box HID support and plug&play monitor, mass-storage drivers...)
‘Unknown’ AT case with its power supply, CD drive… etc. Bought for 3.50 € in a thrift store!!

Last week, when I brought the case home, I found that it had mounted a SS7 board as well, a Matsonic Aladdin V (came with a K6). The Jetway one is better because it mounts the rev.G of the chipset (bigger cacheable area and ATA-66 support), so it's the one to choose. The Matsonic board will be saved for parts, as well as other components like its sound card (SB16 Vibra).

Let’s see some pics!

IMG_20151012_164234753%20Medium_zpst4i5x61b.jpg

IMG_20151012_211751772%20Medium_zpsm476r83s.jpg

IMG_20151013_224439213%20Medium_zpshwdbfflo.jpg

IMG_20151013_185930444%20Medium_zpsvpfhpemw.jpg

IMG_20151014_173347475_HDR_zpsjfk2cfuk.jpg

IMG_20151014_173515271_zpsjvyhouvr.jpg

Hope you like it!!

Last edited by mmx_91 on 2016-03-22, 13:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a charming little system. That case looks well cared for. I'd never seen a baby-AT board with ATX-like positioning like that. Sure, it reduces the number of available slots, but it does allow for longer cards.

Reply 2 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This seems like a nice build 😀

I also like the motherboard layout, for me two ISA-slots are enough in a Socket-7 system.

Do not overclock the Geforce 2 Ti as I think the 3.3V VRM circuit for the AGP is already heavy loaded as it is.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 18, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you guys!! I'm really enjoying setting it up 😀 :happy

The Jetway mainboard actually seems like one of the very last models released for Socket7 (ATA66, chipset Aladdin rev.G...). I suspect that the numbers written just below the model M154x in the northbridge refer to the manufacturing date. You can see it in this image:

http://images.anandtech.com/old/motherboards/ … ll/aladdinv.jpg

For the Matsonic board that came with the case -> M1542 9838 rev.E (128mb cacheable limit according to http://www.amd-k6.com/cacheable-ram-on-socket-7-platforms/ )
For this Jetway one -> M1542 0107 rev.G (512MB and... made in 2001!?!)

As for the case, after a bit of a clean it looks like new!i! The front is just a little 'yellow' but nothing to worry.

IMG_20151014_215238095_zps1eyh8tlo.jpg

Skyscraper wrote:

Do not overclock the Geforce 2 Ti as I think the 3.3V VRM circuit for the AGP is already heavy loaded as it is.

I'm not planning to overclock it, but it's good to know that 😀. I also have a GF 2 MX somewhere, do you recommend me to swap the Ti for the MX? I suppose that the MX needs less current to work, and the loss of power might not be relevant for a P1 system. Or maybe using an ATX power supply (3.3V rail)? I have to try and look into it.

Last edited by mmx_91 on 2015-10-14, 20:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 18, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that exact same case, but yours is in better condition. I bought it off eBay, and it came with a SS7 board. I am using it with my 486 VLB system.

Reply 6 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mmx_91 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I'm not planning to overclock it, but it's good to know that 😀. I also have a GF 2 MX somewhere, do you recommend me to swap the Ti for the MX? I suppose that the MX needs less current to work, and the loss of power might not be relevant for a P1 system. Or maybe using an ATX power supply (3.3V rail)? I have to try and look into it.

Using an ATX PSU could be better but you often have to rejumper the motherboard so it actually uses the ATX 3.3V for the AGP, if you have the motherboard manual those jumpers should be documented, sometimes they are called Voodoo III compatibility setting jumpers 😀.

Using the Geforce 2 MX is a good idea and it will run fine with the AT PSU and wont perform any worse. If the Geforce 2 MX has worse TV-OUT or if you for some other reason prefer the Geforce 2 Ti (with the AT PSU) you could also add some extra cooling on the 3.3V VRM delivering power to the AGP slot, like for example a quiet fan moving some air around that area.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 7 of 18, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use the same Jetway motherboard,but with a more powerfull config and it's a good solid board.
My only problem with it was:the cpu socket placement,since i only had a taller cpu cooler,when i built the system,i had to cut a small part of metal from the case hard drive cage so i could fit the cooler.

Reply 8 of 18, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today it's been a sad day for P-MMX processors, as one of the survivors has just passed away 🤣

This morning I bought this 166MMX Pentium in the traditional sunday flea market of my town for the staggering amount of 1€ 🤣. It's a plastic one, which according to http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?conten … oc_locking.html, it can reach multipliers above 2.5x (my ceramic P166 can't).

k975fn.jpg

When I arrived home I tried to set it at 300MHz (100x3.0) and it posted, but freezed afterwards. I tried then to rise the voltage up to 3,4V with a decent heater attached to the cpu, but it crashed and never worked again. The heater doesn't even get warm after that, so I suppose I killed it. No matter, it will swell my cpu 'collection' 🤣.

PD: I also have an original P233 that is not even stable at 250MHz. I would like to reach the barrier of 300MHz with one of these processors, but it has to be in other occasion... 🤣 🤣

Reply 9 of 18, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3.4V is too much in my opinion. I would not go above 3.2V for benchmarks and even a bit less for normal operation.
As for the 300 MHz goal - it is not as easy as it sounds. Not many MMX's can reach it. You need a very good piece for that... if you don't have it, then no matter what you do, it simply won't OC this far. And raising voltage won't help either.

Such "golden" MMX really exists, but it is hard to find one. I have four P MMX and only one is stable at 300 MHz.

Running stable at 312 MHz (2.5x125) and 3.2 V IIRC.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2423351_havli_sup … min_11sec_842ms

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do normally not worry about 3.4V with a Pentium MMX as long as the CPU is kept cool. I would not go past 3.52V as I read somewhere that absolute max for the P55C is 3.7V.

I think the motherboard gave a nasty voltage spike because of an overheating VRM MOSFET. Cooling the board is as important as cooling the CPU when overclocking.

Im not really sure why the Pentium MMX dosnt handle more voltage as the P54C and Pentium Pro's absolute max is supposedly 4.7V if I remember correctly. Perhaps Intel just takes the maximum default voltage or VID for the core and adds some % to specify the absolute maximum without doing any testing. I would not try giving any Pentium Pro or P54C CPU over 4V without chilled water or better cooling even if I guess the motherboard will burn long before the CPU, if the CPU dosnt get killed by voltage spikes from an overheating VRM circuit that is.

Perhaps its best to add that the absolute max voltage is the voltage you should never ever exceed even for a very short period of time with very good cooling.

Reply 11 of 18, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are new components for this build!!

In order to bring 'any' airflow to the interior of the case, I installed a fan in the front plane and bought a brand new ATX power supply to let the air exit by the top back of the case. I made a little mistake as I didn't realise that the PSU is mounted upside down on this old AT cases, but it isn't a problem as I managed to install it with some plastic ties and a couple of screws 🤣 🤣 (I promise to drill the proper holes in the case as soon as I get my Dremel back from a friend... 🤣 ).

Now it looks like this after doing a bit of cable management (definitely need rounded IDE and FDD cables 🤣 ):
IMG_20151103_160703695%20Medium_zpszbfwqczl.jpg

Also discovered by searching on the Internet that this Jetway mainboard has switched VRM circuits (PWM, instead of linear regulators) for both the processor an AGP slots!! After reading the datasheets of the components involved (MOSFET and IC chip), I found that is quite safe to run power demanding cards so I will keep the GF2 Ti because it has better VGA output (the VRMs are only a little warm now that the case has some airflow inside).

I don't know why, but after replacing the PSU, the image on the screen flickers a bit. After a couple of tests, I replaced the Ti for the GF2 MX and the effect of the flickering is even worst, although it works well in other systems. The only solution I found is to use a DVI card (tried with a basic Geforce FX) and connect the PC to the TV set by a DVI-to-HDMI cable, or to keep the GF2 Ti as the VGA quality is acceptable. This also happens by using another ATX PSU, VGA cable, monitor... even tried with the Matsonic motherboard in another house and the effect is the same!! I'm quite curious about that, maybe an issue of Aladdin V motherboards?? I found that if I plug in the computer in the same plug as the monitor, this effect is less noticeable than using separate plugs. It has to be something purely 'electrical' 😵

Finally, I managed to get 300MHz out of a Pentium MMX!!! The 166 that I bought some days back was supposed to be dead... well, only 'sometimes'. I don't know why it randomly refuses to work at all, so I tried it again and luckily It booted at 300MHZ at 3.4v with a massive Athlon heatsink over it!! It isn't reliable at all as I just said, but I'm excited of my achievement 😊 😊 🤣

IMG_20151103_152254892%20Medium_zpsbbhfbz4s.jpg

IMG_20151103_153301649%20Medium_zpsiqxkd2m6.jpg

untitled_zpsugnrpuau.jpg

Hope you like it!

Reply 12 of 18, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not bad! I think I have an MMX 233 that can hit 3x100MHz stable at 2.9V. I don't use these little guys anymore though.

Cable management can be such a bitch on baby AT cases. I like what you've done, tying up the cables. I tried to make my floppy cable as short as possible, so I taped most of the excess cable together. Rounded cables are indeed pretty awesome, I'm using one in there as well, for my HDD and DVD Drive. Most of this could be solved by just migrating everything to a larger, more comfortable case, but it wouldn't be the same now, would it? 😈

Reply 13 of 18, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again!

Some new updates just to 'finish' this build. After a few months playing games on it, I have to say that I'm impressed with the performance of this tiny system. I mean, being a 'doped' Pentium 1 with some of its parts really overkill for it, offers me a good balanced system for the games I used to play when I was a child (mainly on the 1996-2000 period, when many of them didn't run on my poor 166MMX and my parents finally had to buy a new computer). It also allows me to play these games on my TV by using a wireless keyboard and digital video quality, I know that this could be done by just connecting my modern laptop and searching on the Internet how to configure it properly... but it is not as fun, isn't it? 🤣 🤣

So here they are!

tWBQp4j.jpg
The case was completely dismantled and cleaned. It was alrealy in good shape but now looks a bit better. I'm planning on buying an IDE-to-SD adapter and hide it behind the 5 1/4 cover to swap between 'disks' easily.

JVxKTWP.jpg
Again, in the back of the case, I drilled the proper holes so I can use a modern PSU with a big and silent fan to extract the hot air, one of the biggest limitations of the baby-AT format (not anymore 🤣). You can also see that I replaced the videocard for a 'new' one (FX-5200). It's maybe crappy for a Pentium 4 or other period correct machines, but here it works really well and has DVI output, so I can use it on my TV and release the VGA one for the Voodoo.

Didn't I tell? I bought a Voodoo2 for 2€ ( 🤣 ) in the local flea market, and luckily it works perfect.

7l92keg.jpg
A view inside, the fan installed in the front is a very silent model from Tacens (a well-known hardware brand here in Spain), and helps to renew the air inside

7ekC28r.jpg
The PSU fan that evacuates hot air from the graphic cards. As you can see, the FX5200 is one of those miserable 64-bit low profile models, but more than enough for this system, an also passive!

wfwjTZk.jpg
For cpu cooling, I restored a full copper low-profile heatsink from an Athlon, also got it at the flea market. The fan is a Fractal Design R2-50mm, also new and very silent. You can see as well the tiny heatsinks that I added for the VRM mosfets, they are mean for 3D printers and can be found for cheap on eBay, and work really well here.

cfUNSpS.jpg
And finally, the 'beast'. I've never owned one so I'm playing with it to see its capabilities, and for the moment I'm not disappointed 😀

Hope you like it!

Reply 15 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a well balanced and lovingly put together machine, congrats on the final touches and thanks for the updated pics 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 16 of 18, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some minor updates! I replaced the Geforce & V2 combo for a Voodoo3 (I introduced these changes here in the forum a couple of months ago). Now, there are some games that look better, I think the V3 takes advantage of this system better than the Nvidia card. And also, the V3 has clearly better image quality than the V2, and no more monitor swapping anymore. Maybe I'll use the V2 in another build, I'm thinking about building a Pentium III era pc when finally moved to my new flat 😀

So I've been testing this system by playing the original Tomb Raider saga (I-V) at 1024x768 in a good quality monitor, and it works perfectly fine (except for some minor laggy effects in TR Chronicles)! It's about one year that I decided to rebuild this system and found that I finally use it a lot, apart from changing parts 🤣 . I'm not really interested in modern games, but I find the ones from my childhood very fun, they're so simple!

8revJbT.jpg
The V3 with a fan installed. I still have to find more of those grilled-backplates, they're really good to bring some airflow on these AT cases 😀

ZiRdv6Q.jpg
The ethernet card went back to its place, not really useful but I'm planning to share a folder from my new pc. USB 1.1 is sooooo slow... 🤣

Reply 17 of 18, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great job. Very nice build.

I really like that heatsink & fan combo - goes very well!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**