VOGONS

First post, by The_Red_Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this is my first post here on vogons i just wanted to share my favorite computer here a pentium 3 build from 1999/2000 so lets go to the specs
specs:
Pentium 3 runing at 133Mhz
Soyo uknow motherboard
seagate 40gig HDD
s3 trio colorexpert videocard
2x256 din memory sticks
generic and old psu
uknow atx case
windows 2000

Sorry for the not so good photos i used my iphone 5
e8swlz.jpg
1zn4dpd.jpg
29p25ax.jpg
34o3194.jpg
2ut3ytf.jpg
wji9eo.jpg
30kfzhs.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no such thing as a Pentium 3 133mhz?

Your motherboard looks like it has bulging capacitors, which usually means bad stability issues.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the model of that mobo? I had one that looks a lot like this one back in the day, but I never found out the full model name.

Btw, an iPhone 5 can take good pictures if you get your lights right, and learn to use the flash well enough. It took me a while to learn how to take semi-decent photos of my hardware with my Lumia, and I still struggle to do it with weak lights.

Reply 3 of 9, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

There is no such thing as a Pentium 3 133mhz?

There are Pentium 3s that use 133 mhz FSB.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentium III 733MHz, possibly?

And why do you use a (presumably) 1 MB Trio video card when you have a perfectly usable AGP slot right next to it?

Also, why no ISA sound card?

You could have a good machine with a wide compatibility range for Windows AND DOS titles right here, but at the moment it's neither.

EDIT: Also, yeah, bulging capacitors.

Reply 5 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure I can see an AGP slot, the pictures are just too bad.
The VGA card is not in the same slot in pictures 2/3.
The mainboard has an ISA slot so if it really is a P3 it doesn't have an Intel chipset. Not necessarily bad. I still guess that it's a P3, a Pentium 133 would probably have more ISA slots, less than 5 PCI slots and wouldn't support 512MB RAM (except with a more modern SS7 mainboard).
Windows 2000 makes sense for a P3 for productivity, not necessarily for games.

Reply 6 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:

Windows 2000 makes sense for a P3 for productivity, not necessarily for games.

I thought the same till I tried this year with my Duel P3 600. Most games actually worked fine and Windows doesn't lock up nearly as much. You don't realise how often a "stable" 9x pc really does crash until it stops happening.

Reply 7 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

I thought the same till I tried this year with my Duel P3 600. Most games actually worked fine and Windows doesn't lock up nearly as much. You don't realise how often a "stable" 9x pc really does crash until it stops happening.

Yeah, your post regarding this made me realize I want a dual-boot system and use 98SE only for the games that simply don't work at all under 2000/XP.

Reply 9 of 9, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

[...]The mainboard has an ISA slot so if it really is a P3 it doesn't have an Intel chipset.

There were many P3 capable boards with Intel chipsets and ISA slot(s).

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.