VOGONS

New Computer!!

Topic actions

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, its been a millennium since I posted here. Was crazy about the PS3 and such last gen, but this gen, I'm going all the way with this!! I've got a new PC with some amazing specs!

CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
Storage: Samsung SSD 250 GB and a WD Mybook 2 TB

Attachments

• Side of PC.jpg
    Filename
    Side of PC.jpg
    File size
    422.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Front of PC.jpg
    Filename
    Front of PC.jpg
    File size
    138.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 42, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, this is a real classic! It's the retro computing at its best! 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 42, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

tayyare, borgie83 - Is "System Specs" supposed to be retro-only? I don't think it says that in the forum description? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 42, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Matching MSI motherboard and graphics card (I assume because I see red details)? Looks nice!
Btw what does that Fx-8350 equate to? I've been on blue lands since the Core2Duo era, and AMDs recent processors have been too lackluster to sway me, so I have no idea of how powerful that processor is.

Reply 5 of 42, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Matching MSI motherboard and graphics card (I assume because I see red details)? Looks nice!
Btw what does that Fx-8350 equate to? I've been on blue lands since the Core2Duo era, and AMDs recent processors have been too lackluster to sway me, so I have no idea of how powerful that processor is.

Its 4.0 GhZ with an eight core processor.

Reply 6 of 42, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mike wrote:

Its 4.0 GhZ with an eight core processor.

Yeah, but given that Intel has stronger single threaded performance, you can't really equate them in performance with raw clock numers or core count. Specially Bulldozer-derived processors since I believe no one trully extracted the full potential of the weird parallelism scheme they have. This probably reaches the performance of an i5 for gaming, I'm just curious to know which.

Reply 7 of 42, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

tayyare, borgie83 - Is "System Specs" supposed to be retro-only? I don't think it says that in the forum description? 😀

I think it should be divided into two different trees or it will become mixed and confused.

Reply 8 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An FX8350 is slower than a Core i5 2500k of a few generations ago in games: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-visher … fx4300-tested/5

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 9 of 42, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Indeed, and in addition to that, the title of the post clearly says "New Computer". I was just having some harmless fun. 😈
D

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 10 of 42, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

An FX8350 is slower than a Core i5 2500k of a few generations ago in games: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-visher … fx4300-tested/5

Unless of course you don't play your games in VGA without details just to see how fast your processor is in unrealistic situations, in which case it takes the power of two 7970 in crossfire to begin to see a relevant difference, as proven by the same website.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 11 of 42, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The games selection is a bit old, and it depends on the game, but for a 960 I believe (from what I have read on that article) most games will be GPU limited and this CPU is more than adequate. I believe a 980 would already be enough to be dragged down by the processor, perhaps even the 970, but definitely not a 960. Overall this looks like a decently balanced machine.

Reply 12 of 42, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sunaiac wrote:
Scali wrote:

Unless of course you don't play your games in VGA without details just to see how fast your processor is in unrealistic situations, in which case it takes the power of two 7970 in crossfire to begin to see a relevant difference, as proven by the same website.

It depends. Some games will run a lot better on the i5 2500k, some others won't. Better may mean that you're getting 130FPS instead of 80FPS, so maybe it's not a big deal, but you aren't looking at the minimums, you're looking at averages. Witcher 3 runs better on FX-8xxx CPUs than it does on an i5 2500k and it even competes really well with the latest i5 and i7 CPUs. It's still a really good CPU, especially for other tasks like video encoding and stuff (and it is also 3 years old by now).

Reply 13 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sunaiac wrote:
Scali wrote:

The point of measuring the CPU performance is to remove the GPU bottleneck.
FX8350 is slow, period.
Just because you don't see the difference in all situations doesn't mean it isn't there.

Reply 14 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

It's still a really good CPU, especially for other tasks like video encoding and stuff (and it is also 3 years old by now).

It isn't.
It's a high-end CPU being sold at bargain basement prices.
Compare the transistor count and TDP of the FX8350 with even an i5 2500K and you'll see that these CPUs are technically in completely different leagues (the FX8350 is rated at 125W TDP vs 95W for the 2500K, while the 2500K even has an integrated GPU included in that TDP). The FX8350 needs far more transistors and draws far more power to deliver the same level of performance as the outdated Intel i5 2500K.
But yes, sell it cheaply enough and anything can be 'good value for money'. Technically it's not a 'really good CPU', not even remotely. It's terribly outdated and inefficient.
It wasn't a good CPU when it was introduced 3 years ago, and it's far worse today (current i5s are faster and TDP has gone down to 65W).

Reply 15 of 42, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
The point of measuring the CPU performance is to remove the GPU bottleneck. FX8350 is slow, period. Just because you don't see t […]
Show full quote
sunaiac wrote:
Scali wrote:

The point of measuring the CPU performance is to remove the GPU bottleneck.
FX8350 is slow, period.
Just because you don't see the difference in all situations doesn't mean it isn't there.

I'm lost, were you talking about performance of the CPU or behaviour in game ?
The 8350 is slower than a 2500K in low thread count applications, it's faster in high thread count applications.
Those CPU behaviour in game is most of the time the same since the games are mainly GPU-bound, and when not will depend if the game is correctly threaded or not.
You seem to be mixing stuff here, and seem to try to use a specific point to make a generality.
Kinda like saying a 486 isn't faster than a 386, a pentium is twice as fast as a 486, and an ISA card is as fast as a mid range VLB one.
If you see what I mean.

Reply 16 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sunaiac wrote:

The performance of the CPU obviously.
Take a GPU slow enough, and your CPU performance doesn't matter. Which says nothing about your CPU of course.
It's like testing tyres in a brake test, but braking from 0.001 kph.

sunaiac wrote:

it's faster in high thread count applications.

Nope. Common misconception from people with no clue about CPUs and software. They think "moar threads == moar coars".
In many cases, the Core i5 2500 will perform as well, if not better than the FX8350 even in heavily multithreaded scenarios.
This is because you can run multiple threads on each core. Having fewer, but faster cores can still result in better performance.

Last edited by Scali on 2015-11-03, 11:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Come on, Mike just built his new PC, let him be and enjoy it 😀

He probably had a good deal on the PC price-wise, so the fact that it's not exactly the fastest machine around shouldn't keep him from enjoying a PC with good value for money.
Anyone buying AMD isn't expecting much in terms of performance anyway. They're shopping in a different price bracket.

Reply 19 of 42, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
The performance of the CPU obviously. Take a GPU slow enough, and your CPU performance doesn't matter. Which says nothing about […]
Show full quote
sunaiac wrote:

The performance of the CPU obviously.
Take a GPU slow enough, and your CPU performance doesn't matter. Which says nothing about your CPU of course.
It's like testing tyres in a brake test, but braking from 0.001 kph.

Then the "Unless" that started my sentence should have been a clue that I did agree that the 8350 was slower than the 2500K in those situations.
There's a lot of websites explaining words, you'll find one yourself ?

Scali wrote:
Nope. Common misconception from people with no clue about CPUs and software. They think "moar threads == moar coars". In many ca […]
Show full quote
sunaiac wrote:

it's faster in high thread count applications.

Nope. Common misconception from people with no clue about CPUs and software. They think "moar threads == moar coars".
In many cases, the Core i5 2500 will perform as well, if not better than the FX8350 even in heavily multithreaded scenarios.
This is because you can run multiple threads on each core. Having fewer, but faster cores can still result in better performance.

Except the 8350 is faster than the 2500K in highly multithreaded applications. All the ones tested when the CPU came. All of them.
Once again, facts with hard evidence. Not what you'd like reality to be.
As for your attempt to "explain life to the lower lifeforms around you", I'm far from impressed, but find it funny given the quantity of lies you continuously gratify us with.
But I'm very happy to learn that a core can run multiple threads. Who'd have thought ?