VOGONS

New Computer!!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't arguing about what is/was more powerful at the time completely against retro-computing in principle? I thought we buy and play with these things because they are interesting and represent an interesting time in a company's history. The new FX-series was made during a difficult time in AMD's history, and hopefully they can still come back strong after this setback. I own an FX8350 myself and I'm very happy with it, despite there being better options out there. A few years from now, it could be an interesting little piece of history to own or maybe I just want to play some of the games I used to play on my machine. Who knows.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 42 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Evert wrote:

Isn't arguing about what is/was more powerful at the time completely against retro-computing in principle? I thought we buy and play with these things because they are interesting and represent an interesting time in a company's history.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive?
I mean, take 8088 MPH for example. It's obvious that the IBM PC wasn't the most powerful platform around at the time. That's the whole point really. That people understand the weaknesses of the platform, and how the demo tries to work around the limitations. You have to understand the limitations in order to appreciate the demo.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/