VOGONS

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi 😀

Starting this summer, I decided to have a look at the parts I've been collecting for so long and began testing and building... The end results were these:

- i486DX33 on Soyo 025D2/8MB SIMMs/Cirrus Logic CL-GD5426 VLB/Sound Blaster 16 PnP ISA/500mb HDD
- Pentium MMX 200Mhz SL27J on ASUS SP97V/32MB EDO/Matrox Millenium PCI/miroHISCORE 3D (Voodoo1)/Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold PnP ISA
- Celeron 400MHz on a BX440 motherboard (can't remember)/Voodoo3 3000 AGP/768MB SDRAM/40GB HDD/Sound Blaster Live!
- Pentium II 450MHz (Slot 1) on Abit AB-BH6/256MB SDRAM/QDI V2200 (Rendition Verite) AGP/OPTi 82C931 (PowerColor I think) ISA/3Com 3C905 PCI
- PowerMac G4 400MHz Sawtooth/1.5GB SDRAM/OS9.2.2/ATI 9200/80GB HDD/AirPort Classic/Sound Blaster Live! PCI
- PowerMac G4 733MHz Digital Audio/1.5GB SDRAM PC133/OSX Tiger 10.4.11/80GB HDD/nVidia GeForce3 (stock)/AirPort Extreme/M-Audio Delta 24|96
- Amiga 500 (stock)
- Amiga 1200+4GB CF
- Commodore 64 with a 1531 datassete w/ adapter(!)

Needless to say that the wisdom of this community here proved invaluable lots of times and so did the driver collection, thus I got around to registering hehe 😀

Also have some working motherboards with Celeron 300A (Slot1), AMD K6-233 and K6-2 300, some old Pentiums, two more i486DX33, a i486DX2, an Am486DX4-100, a Celeron 433MHz, three Voodoo3 3000 AGP, a Voodoo3 3000 PCI, a couple of S3 Trio64V, an S3 Savage4GT AGP, a Diamond Stealth 2000 Pro S3 with maxed ram, a Cyrix 6x86-P150+GP (beautiful!), some boxes with EDO/SDRAM/DDR1, some SB16/Vibra16s PnP ISA and many PCI SB Live!s...

Last, an untested motherboard with Am386-SX40, three untested Voodoo3 3500s (don't have their cable or a VESA PnD adapter), an MMX 233 SL27S that might be shot (most of the time works without crashes but sometimes won't POST), a PowerMac G4 400MHz sawtooth with a busted PSU (which I will get around to replace sometime eventually), a rusty PCChips M919 motherboard with FakeCache(TM) technology and two boxes with P3 and P4-era stuff which I can't remember and still haven't even bothered to see what's in there 🤣

Oh... and two IBM 5155s, though last time I checked only one of them was working...

It's actually a quite nice hobby fooling around with old hardware, fixing things and building working towers, despite it being inversely proportional to spare time and space in your room 😒

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome and sorry. Your off to a good start, even with extra parts but looks like your like a lot of us here where once a build is complete the system looses all interest and you start thinking, hmmm what can I change. You have a spare room right?

Reply 2 of 4, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, exactly this... I'm more into the restoration/repairing process than the actual use, which requires room unfortunately. Luckily, I currently have (some) storage space! However, the P1/Voodoo, the Celeron/Voodoo3 and the PMG4 with OS9 are always ready and my go-to machines for retrogaming or using old software, with little to no changes over time.

It's like we use to say in music production circles, we have the GAS - the gear acquisition syndrome! 😊

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 4 of 4, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hehe I'm currently at the phase of checking what works and what doesn't, so not really looking to sell anything at the moment, sorry!

Stojke wrote: