VOGONS

First post, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A relative of mine found this at the local dump. There's nearly not a single scratch on it, but did sustain some minor damage to one of the expansion slots, which was easily fixable, and missing a 5.25" bay cover. It appears that someone had thrown the monitor while still attached to the computer, bending the VGA slot bracket and cover, and snapping the screws that held the VGA connector to the port. I replaced it with an RS232 bracket and screws, and straightened the slot brace.

Hardware-wise the CD-ROM drive was having intermittent read issues, which I replaced with a 40x I had on hand, and wired a C2032 battery and holder to the external battery header. In the front of the case I installed an 80MM fan in the empty fan bracket to cool the giant passive heatsink. Gets mighty toasty inside without it! The power supply fan barely moves any air, which I almost mistook as non-functioning. Might have to replace that down the road.

The funny thing about this machine is that it was very clean inside, and well taken care of. Powering on the machine revealed it was running Windows 95b, and was still actively used, from what I am assume, as a gaming machine up until about 2013, judging by the time stamps. I can't imagine why someone would throw such a beautiful machine out.

[I'll finish uploading the pics once Photobucket decides to work again.]

DSCF2780_zpsbasjfvny.jpg
DSCF2785_zps0c2z1eoo.jpg
DSCF2787_zpsrxfkdq2m.jpg
DSCF2796_zps34elvhjl.jpg
DSCF2795_zps5dk9pvuz.jpg
DSCF2791_zpsfulrnxat.jpg
DSCF2789_zpsfyam4utj.jpg

The original specs:
Processor: Intel i486DX2 66MHz
RAM: 8MB (2x4MB Hyundai 72pin SIMMs)
Cache: 0KB
Video: Onboard Cirrus Logical CL-GD5424 1MB w/ offboard VGA connector
Sound: Sound Blaster 16 CT1740
Hard Drive: Quantum Fireball 540AT 540MB
Optical Drive: Creative Labs proprietary 2x CD-ROM
Floppy Drive: Teac 3.5" 1.44MB

Upgraded Specs:
RAM: 16MB (2x8MB Unknown Brand 72pin SIMMs)
Cache: 256KB
Video: ATI Mach64GX 2MB ISA
Optical Drive: Toshiba XM-6402B 40x CD-ROM
Network: Linksys EtherLAN 16
Floppy Drive: Teac 5.25" 1.2MB

Last edited by Brickpad on 2015-11-18, 21:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

sounds interesting... look forward to seeing the pics.
in the mean time, I highly recommend using Imgur instead - photobucket's user experience is just plain horrible.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 14, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pics are now up and running. Enjoy! 😎

MMaximus wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

sounds interesting... look forward to seeing the pics.
in the mean time, I highly recommend using Imgur instead - photobucket's user experience is just plain horrible.

I might just do that. Photobucket has definitely gone downhill what with all the ridiculous ads and crap that bogs their site down.

Reply 3 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice machine! it's surprising that you found this in the trash. Looks like a retro enthusiast machine as opposed to a forgotten computer... especially if it has been used until 2013 and it has had this modern "intel inside" sticker stuck on it at some stage (unless you did this?). I wonder if it got discarded by mistake... for example if something happened to the owner and the people who found it just thought it was junk...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The integrated video is almost certainly VLB, so in some ways your upgrade is actually a downgrade.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 14, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice machine!

Anonymous Coward wrote:

The integrated video is almost certainly VLB, so in some ways your upgrade is actually a downgrade.

I agree. The ATI is a nice card for an ISA-only system, but the Cirrus Logic can hold it's own.

If you want to upgrade, there certainly are affordable VLB video cards out there.

Reply 6 of 14, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:
Nice machine! […]
Show full quote

Nice machine!

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I agree. The ATI is a nice card for an ISA-only system, but the Cirrus Logic can hold it's own.

If you want to upgrade, there certainly are affordable VLB video cards out there.

I do have an identical Cirrus Logic 1MB VLB card in storage that I could replace the Mach64 with, which I could put in my 386.

Reply 8 of 14, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is that the onboard video memory is limited to 1MB (4x256K DIPs). I don't know if it's possible to upgrade beyond that. I typically like to run Windows in 16bit color, but if I remember correctly, the adapter wasn't able to run 1024x768 @ 16bit color depth with only 1MB.

Reply 9 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brickpad wrote:

The funny thing about this machine is that it was very clean inside, and well taken care of. Powering on the machine revealed it was running Windows 95b, and was still actively used, from what I am assume, as a gaming machine up until about 2013, judging by the time stamps. I can't imagine why someone would throw such a beautiful machine out.

The wife...? 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 14, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

The wife...? 🤣

Like they say - One man's trash is another man's treasure. 😎

Reply 12 of 14, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did a bit of a switch-up tonight. Removed the Mach64 and re-enabled the onboard video, and swapped out the Quantum Fireball 540MB for a Seagate ST3655A 528MB - a nifty SCSI / IDE hybrid 😎 . I removed the 5.25" drive and replaced it with a removable hard drive bay that holds the Seagate drive. Trying now to decide whether to install Windows 3.1 or Windows 95?

Reply 13 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486 with PS2 very nice indeed!
Personally I like Windows 3.11 on my 486's Only because it feels "correct" to me, but if you've got the Removable hard drive bay why not both?

Reply 14 of 14, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

Did a bit of a switch-up tonight. Removed the Mach64 and re-enabled the onboard video, and swapped out the Quantum Fireball 540MB for a Seagate ST3655A 528MB - a nifty SCSI / IDE hybrid 😎 . I removed the 5.25" drive and replaced it with a removable hard drive bay that holds the Seagate drive. Trying now to decide whether to install Windows 3.1 or Windows 95?

Aside from pure user preference, this will mostly be decided by driver support. A VLB system is likely to be better supported by 3.1x but look into it - if you can get proper drivers for 95 (it is a Dell, after all), it could be worth it.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.