VOGONS

First post, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I very recently got a Dell Precision 220 workstation , an i820 RDRAM based system with SMP. The system itself was for a very good price (about the price of a cup of coffee) but lacked a CD drive , a video or sound card, and had a single PIII 933Mhz. It did however have an 18.4GB Quantum Atlas 10K U160 drive along with an adaptec 29160N card (a Dell OEM variant I guess), along with 1GB of PC800 ECC RDRAM which is also very nice (given how relatively expensive RDRAM can be , its nice to have the max this machine can take). The machine was generally quite clean on the outside other than some black marks on the case, which I have since removed. The Hard drive had WinXP SP3 on it too (the COA sticker is actually for NT4 oddly enough). Sadly the button for the floppy drive is missing, but given I wont really need to use the floppy drive much with this system its not a big deal.

The single 933Mhz CPU was replaced with dual 1Ghz 133Mhz Coppermine PIIIs, while the computer was lacking a VRM module, an equivalent one from a Compaq Proliant seems to work just fine.
For the CD drives , I figured 2 are better than one, and so Im using a Pioneer DVD-105S slot DVD , as well as a Samsung SD-616T , also a DVD drive.
The hard drive and SCSI card were replaced with an adaptec 2100S (with 64MB of cache) and my 300GB U320 (though running at U160 speeds) Seagate Cheetah 10K drive). This drive already has a dual boot of Win98SE and Win2K SP4 , which are more appropriate for this system.

The graphics card is a Voodoo5500 AGP , a favourite of mine for this kind of system, originally this system came with either a Matrox G400 or a Geforce2 GTS , and may well recieve one of those in the future (though it would have to be a GF2Ti , I dont have a GTS). There are also 2 sound cards , an Aureal Vortex 2 Superquad and a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (SB0100 which is apparently an OEM variation , but it works fine with the normal drivers). Also the usual maintenance of cleaning , cable tidying , replacing the battery and updating the BIOS.

You will have to excuse the quality of the photos, had to use my phone to take them .

IMG_20151128_130849038_zpsbjintslj.jpg

the 1Ghz CPUs I had were actually OEM Dell ones, never knew that.

IMG_20151128_133021425_zpszpd1xpca.jpg

very interesting way of taking out the hard drive tray,

IMG_20151128_135624577_zpsq7brmlje.jpg

the machine after cleaning, installing the hardware and some cable tidying (most of the power supply cables are out of sight).

IMG_20151128_171120879_zpsktqefusu.jpg

IMG_20151128_140934634_zps9wzqzlv7.jpg

Appropriate I guess, a Dell AT102W keyboard.

IMG_20151128_141002334_zps3cgkyjsu.jpg

untitled_zpsdpwxjebj.png

As far as games its not too shabby, Quake3 gets 74.7 fps (demo1 , 1024X768X32 , everything on high settings). Quite surprised as I've often heard less than great things about the i820 chipset (maybe thats more applicable to the SDRAM variants) but so far its been smooth sailing.

One interesting option in the BIOS under the "CPU speed" tab is an option to change the speed of the CPU to "compatible mode" which apparently slows it down , I havent tried this yet , but it could be interesting to see just how slow it will get , it can also be done on the fly if the system is in real mode. I assume this is simply disabling the cache memory, but we will see.

Overall its a great machine. I always liked Dell machines from the late 90s and very early 2000s.

Reply 1 of 3, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Superb! Those gills are different to the usual flat fronted Dell stuff. Did the hard drive give any clues as to its past life? Looks well cared for.

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like it a lot! Duel CPU's and Slot 1's at that 😀
That plus the RDRAM makes it little more interesting then the average PC as well. (bonus that its maxed out)
Was surprised how many 9x games worked fine in 2k. Never checked to see if there is a slight performance hit, probably is, but 2 CPU's man!!

Reply 3 of 3, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Superb! Those gills are different to the usual flat fronted Dell stuff. Did the hard drive give any clues as to its past life? Looks well cared for.

other than the floppy drive button and some dust , the machine is certainly in great condition , not even yellowed in significant way .

As for what was on the hard drive, it was nothing particularly special , WinXP SP3 , some anti virus/ PC management programs (cant go back and check as the drive is wiped now , but programs in the vein of Norton and Mcfee), oh and Disney activity centre.... yes, on a 10K RPM SCSI hard drive. I suspect this drive will go into my PPro machine.

chinny22 wrote:

I like it a lot! Duel CPU's and Slot 1's at that 😀
That plus the RDRAM makes it little more interesting then the average PC as well. (bonus that its maxed out)
Was surprised how many 9x games worked fine in 2k. Never checked to see if there is a slight performance hit, probably is, but 2 CPU's man!!

It really depends on the individual games, the graphics card and drivers.

Ive found that Quake3 engine games run faster on Win2K, same with for instance Warcraft III (on a Geforce2 I noticed a 10 frame difference in most situations)

on the other hand one game that really seems to dislike Win2K in that aspect is Shogo , where it favoured Win98SE.

would be a bit more interesting to see whether Windows Me would sustain this , since its hardware requirements are closer to that of Win2k