VOGONS

A humble Pentium III system

Topic actions

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And so,I've ventured back into Slot 1 zone. This is my current rig for said era of Slot 1 systems.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-6BXC Rev 2.0
Video card - S3 Trio 3D/2X Onboard 8MB AGP 2x
PSU - Premier LC-B450E (see this thread) - might be a small problem since there isn't a -5v rail
HDD - WDC WD80EB-28CGH2 8GB
CPU - Pentium III 500MHz Katmai (SL35E)
ODD - Pioneer ATAPI Model DVD-117 DVD-ROM - sounds pretty good to me,what do you think?
Soundcard - Sound Blaster SB16 Value ISA
NIC - Realtek RTL8139 PCI
RAM - 224MB PC-100 SD-RAM (PC133 doesn't work and I had some good PC133 sticks 😢 )
OS - Windows ME

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-5v was only used for ISA.
Not just slots though. Sometimes integrated chips (Like onboard sound) are on the ISA bus.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

-5v was only used for ISA.
Not just slots though. Sometimes integrated chips (Like onboard sound) are on the ISA bus.

Yeah,but this one doesn't have audio onboard.

I'm a bit worried about the SB16 though. Does its OPL run from -5V?

Reply 4 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

AFAIK not many ISA boards ever needed the -5V line, most sound cards used the -12V for the amplifier. SB16 should be fine.

I have no idea if SB16 used -5v but I do recall that the onboard sound on some motherboards won't work without -5v so some sound chips do use it..
ISA pinout http://pinouts.ru/Slots/isa_pinout.shtml
The reason -5v disappeared from PSUs is that ISA disappeared from motherboards.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay,here is a picture of the board and the BIOS. That's all the pics I have for now.
If anyone wants more pics feel free to ask.

20151201_121911.jpg
Filename
20151201_121911.jpg
File size
2.47 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20151201_122009.jpg
Filename
20151201_122009.jpg
File size
995.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 44, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice system but Slot 1 is my favourite era so I am biased 😀

Nothing wrong with using a DVD drive, although I don't really have any strong feelings for OOD's. CD/DVD's are a pain. I mostly its just used to install
Windows then I just copy everything over the network and crack all my games.

Video could do with an upgrade if you want to play windows games. You can go upto a Gforce 4 TI 4600 without any issues (although overkill for a slot 1 PC) or the currant S3 trio combined with a Voodoo 1 or 2 would be a nice setup as well.

SB16 is fine. It was one of the early Sound blasters that needed the -5v rail.

HDD seems a little on the small side. Even my P2 400 came with a 10GB drive back in 98 but if your not low on disk space then no big deal right 😀
What games you running on this?

Reply 7 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Nice system but Slot 1 is my favourite era so I am biased 😀

Nothing wrong with using a DVD drive, although I don't really have any strong feelings for OOD's. CD/DVD's are a pain. I mostly its just used to install

I always liked using discs. 😀

chinny22 wrote:

Video could do with an upgrade if you want to play windows games. You can go upto a Gforce 4 TI 4600 without any issues (although overkill for a slot 1 PC) or the currant S3 trio combined with a Voodoo 1 or 2 would be a nice setup as well.

I've been thinking of going with either a TNT/TNT2 card or with a MX400 64MB (which sounds quite overkill)

chinny22 wrote:

SB16 is fine. It was one of the early Sound blasters that needed the -5v rail.

Okay then,it's good to use it.

chinny22 wrote:

HDD seems a little on the small side. Even my P2 400 came with a 10GB drive back in 98 but if your not low on disk space then no big deal right 😀
What games you running on this?

Well,space isn't a concern...yet.

As for games,I'll run:

Abe's Oddysee
Abe's Exoddus
NFS2
NFS3
NFS Porsche 2000
and maybe NFS Hot Pursuit 2,but for that I'd need something new like a GF4 or 5500.

Reply 8 of 44, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

I have no idea if SB16 used -5v but I do recall that the onboard sound on some motherboards won't work without -5v so some sound chips do use it..

Among the most common cards only the earliest 8-bit SoundBlasters, the LAPC-I and some PAS cards need the -5V rail. AFAIK later cards derive it from the -12V rail when needed (maybe the -12V line through a regulator doesn't need as much filtering to be relatively noise free?). It could be that some motherboard makers used the -5V line directly to reduce component count.

Reply 9 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Among the most common cards only the earliest 8-bit SoundBlasters, the LAPC-I and some PAS cards need the -5V rail. AFAIK later cards derive it from the -12V rail when needed (maybe the -12V line through a regulator doesn't need as much filtering to be relatively noise free?). It could be that some motherboard makers used the -5V line directly to reduce component count.

So I guess it's a green light for my Sound Blaster 16 (CT2770).

I've also built a speaker (just two wires connected to a 3.5mm cable) to test it - still works,but the sound is very faint - of course,because there's no amplifier for the speaker.

Reply 10 of 44, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:
And so,I've ventured back into Slot 1 zone. This is my current rig for said era of Slot 1 systems. […]
Show full quote

And so,I've ventured back into Slot 1 zone. This is my current rig for said era of Slot 1 systems.

Video card - S3 Trio 3D/2X Onboard 8MB AGP 2x
PSU - Premier LC-B450E (see this thread) - might be a small problem since there isn't a -5v rail
HDD - WDC WD80EB-28CGH2 8GB
CPU - Pentium III 500MHz Katmai (SL35E)
ODD - Pioneer ATAPI Model DVD-117 DVD-ROM - sounds pretty good to me,what do you think?
Soundcard - Sound Blaster SB16 Value ISA
NIC - Realtek RTL8139 PCI
RAM - 224MB PC-100 SD-RAM (PC133 doesn't work and I had some good PC133 sticks 😢 )
OS - Windows ME

What problem did you have for your PC-133 memory modules?
Btw, I'd say for Windows ME 224MB should be enough 🤣 (I used 192MB in my Celeron 400 build with ME and it was enough).

As for graphics cards, that depends on what games you intend to play. I had a TNT in my old PII-350 and that one I found was actually a bit slow for some reason.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Like I said - I don't have any idea about creative cards. I could not find any pinouts for their chips or cards to check anything.

The mobos where the integrated sound wouldn't work without -5v were socket 478 IIRC so the use of -5v for some sound chips wasn't limited to ancient 8-bit parts. Specifically there were several models of MSI boards where they were still using ISA based sound chips on-board after everyone else had moved on to PCI based OB sound.
The main reason I even remember is that back at the time I flamed MSI in a forum somewhere for using dated parts on (then) brand new models.

Reply 12 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

So I guess it's a green light for my Sound Blaster 16 (CT2770).

Apparently yes.

Reply 13 of 44, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote:

PC133 Should work fine. This motherboard is very reliable and flexible, especially the final rev 2.0. It runs from 50MHz up to 133MHz FSB speeds. With CPU adapters and a modded BIOS it can take Tualatin and VIA C3 Processors over 1GHz.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 14 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

PC133 Should work fine. This motherboard is very reliable and flexible, especially the final rev 2.0. It runs from 50MHz up to 133MHz FSB speeds. With CPU adapters and a modded BIOS it can take Tualatin and VIA C3 Processors over 1GHz.

Either the PC133 sticks wouldn't get recognized st all or at half their capacity
It's a Rev 2.0 board. PC100 sticks work fine tho. (currently 2x128MB PC100)

The 133 MHz FSB setting results in no POST at all.

Reply 15 of 44, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might be a density thing. single sided 256mb pc133 modules are always trouble on Slot 1 machines while working fine on Socket 370 machines, while double sided 256mb pc133 modules work on everything.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 16 of 44, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:

Might be a density thing. single sided 256mb pc133 modules are always trouble on Slot 1 machines while working fine on Socket 370 machines, while double sided 256mb pc133 modules work on everything.

This does sound like a density issue indeed.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried two double-sided PC133 sticks. No go,one shows as 128 MB (a 512MB Infineon stixk out of a HP) and the other one (256MB PQi) would give the no RAM beep. Both work fine on a Matsonic MS7177CT (ECS P6VXAT) motherboard with the VIA 694X chipset,and would report the correct amount of RAM.

Reply 18 of 44, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

512MB Sticks won't work on the i440BX. I succesfully used 128MB and 256MB (double sided) PC133 CL2 SDRAM on both my GA-6BXC rev 2.0 boards.

PcBytes wrote:

The 133 MHz FSB setting results in no POST at all.

Short answer: Probably because the CPU cannot handle this. Your 500 MHz Processor will be forced to run at 665MHz with that setting, thanks to intel locking the internal CPU multiplier at 5.0x.

Additional answer: VIA C3's, Engineering samples and Pentium IIs (PIIs from before august 1998 locking date) can make use of all FSB speeds by lowering their multiplier. Then there are Pentium III'EB' versions that are designed for the 133MHz FSB.
Another caveat is that the AGP bus will be overclocked (to 89MHz or even 133MHz), as is the case on any i440BX board running at 133MHz. Some AGP video cards won't like this. IIRC the 4th knob on the DIP-switch for the FSB speed controls the AGP divider: 1:1 versus 1:2/3. Keep this at 1:2/3.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 19 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried a 256MB double sided PC133 PQi (see my post above yours) and I just got the no RAM beeps. And the FSB was set to the old position,100MHz.