VOGONS

First post, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone my first post on VOGONS, a little bit about my self I basically grew up building computers since 1996 and its also my hobby to build crazy systems. Name it I have done it except Cooling with nitrogen etc, anyways my current projects are classic machines.

I am re building an IBM Aptiva 2142 which had motherboard issues with a Cyrix 3 550mhz Socket 370, 550w PSU and I need some advice on the video card option.

The motherboard I am using supports PCI and AGP it also supports Windows 95.

So I want to know what is the highest memory video card that Windows 95 OSR2 supports? And also one that wont have any issues with classic windows games like Tomb Raider,Midtown Madness, Microsoft Flight sim 95, Quake etc.

I so far know after 2 days of studying that for Radeon its Catalyst 4.3, but I don't know which cards....

And for Gforce its 81.98

But is there a limit memory in windows 95? Like 64mb or 128mb, 256mb?

Any suggestions on which card to use? I want best graphics for those games.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd not go higher than a GeForce FX, as the 6 series dropped support for a few legacy features. So technically, some GeForce FX 5950 Ultra card is the most powerful one that fits your description.
But honestly? For a 550MHz Cyrix you can just get a DX7 cards and be fine. A GeForce2 or GeForce4MX should not give you headaches and be bottlenecked by the CPU anyway.

Reply 3 of 17, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

I'd not go higher than a GeForce FX, as the 6 series dropped support for a few legacy features. So technically, some GeForce FX 5950 Ultra card is the most powerful one that fits your description.
But honestly? For a 550MHz Cyrix you can just get a DX7 cards and be fine. A GeForce2 or GeForce4MX should not give you headaches and be bottlenecked by the CPU anyway.

I will look into it thanks

Reply 4 of 17, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I were you, I would buy a voodoo3000 and maybe replace the heat sink and OC it.
But that's me. The best card I would get would be the fx5950 ultra, but with your cpu it wold be worthless.

Reply 5 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
saturn wrote:

If I were you, I would buy a voodoo3000 and maybe replace the heat sink and OC it.
But that's me. The best card I would get would be the fx5950 ultra, but with your cpu it wold be worthless.

IMHO for that CPU there is no need to OC the Voodoo 3000. AFAIK Cyrix 3 processors are slower than P2/P3 per clock, specially in FPU-intensive tasks.

A GeForce2/4 MX will provide hardware T&L, 32-bit colors and full DX7 acceleration, a Voodoo3 will provide Glide. A Voodoo4 would give 32-bit colors+Glide. The choice depends on what games the OP wants to play.

Reply 7 of 17, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

I am surprised nVIdia has a Windows 95 driver for the FX series. AMD doesn't even have a Windows 95 driver for the Rage on their site anymore.

Funny thing is that nvida has their driver listing messed up, They don't show you the latest driver for older OS's sometimes, but they are aleast nice enough to host driver for there products...
60632223.jpg

Reply 8 of 17, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry if I sound like I live under a rock,but what's up with AMD's drivers? Seriously.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Their website is horrible when it comes to getting old drivers - while on nVidia's site you can still get everything for RIVA TNT and up.

Also, AMD's drivers used to be garbage eons ago. Oh, and try getting proper drivers for Windows 8+ for Radeon HD 4x00 and below.

Reply 11 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

No Win 8+ drivers = No Win 8+

They're doing their community a service!

Unless it comes on a bunch of PCs in at the University with Windows 8 preinstalled, and you can't find a single driver that allows you to turn off overscan in Windows 8, which basically forced me to set all of them up with VGA (as DVI/HDMI then became useless)... which made it impossible to install a projector in one of them and extend the desktop, and we keep having to mess with the monitor's cabling every time someone has to do a presentation.

Reply 12 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently, the Windows driver catalog provides the most up to date driver version for legacy hardware. What most people seem to do is install the Catalyst Control Center over top to then control overscan.

Man, if you think that's tough, how do you manage printer drivers?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Apparently, the Windows driver catalog provides the most up to date driver version for legacy hardware. What most people seem to do is install the Catalyst Control Center over top to then control overscan.

Man, if you think that's tough, how do you manage printer drivers?

I did, and the option did not show up xD
When I looked into it way back (when we got those PCs - Windows 8.1 was just released then) I tried several driver versions, including the built in one, and while I could get to the Catalyst Control Center, it just did not offer such an option. In the end I just reverted to VGA. The behaviour was the same connecting the monitor through HDMI and through a DVI/HDMI cable (the monitor only had VGA+HDMI).

Printer drivers, on the other hand, never gave me much trouble. And my father owns a printing company and sometimes I have to set things up there (when the IT guy screws up).

Reply 16 of 17, by RobW0lf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Their website is horrible when it comes to getting old drivers - while on nVidia's site you can still get everything for RIVA TNT and up.

Also, AMD's drivers used to be garbage eons ago. Oh, and try getting proper drivers for Windows 8+ for Radeon HD 4x00 and below.

I have a P4 system with a Radeon 9250 - Running Windows 7 Ultimate
Using 2000/XP Drivers with few issues (which I think are from my card actually FAILING and not driver issues), cool thing with AMD Graphics drivers is that you can usually find a work around/a way of getting them working with unsupported OS's.

Reply 17 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guess I should have specified Windows 8+ x64 - though AFAIK 2000/XP drivers would not work even on Windows 8 x86 as MS seems to have finally abandoned support for WDM video drivers even on x86 versions of Windows.
IMHO AMD should really pay attention to those little details. It does contribute to their "bad drivers" fame, even though their latest drivers for their latest hardware for the current OSes seem to be just as solid as NVidia's.