VOGONS


Voodoo 2 SLI Power Consumption?

Topic actions

First post, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hey everyone I have installed a brand new Voodoo 2 Pci 12mb in my Packard Bell Multimedia PC and played some games in 3dfx for the first time, oh my god I am hooked!!!! I couldn't afford Voodoo back in the day since I was still at school. I had to live with a 2mb S3 Trio. The games look amazing now especially Midtown Madness, Carmageddon 1 & 2.

Any ways sorry for the ramble, I bought 2 more brand new cards from ebay from the same guy in Russia and now I wonder how much power consumption is required to run Voodoo 2 in sli?

Reply 3 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank Hardware Mod
Rank
Hardware Mod

Just a guess really 😀

I do remember seeing this figure somewhere. But no, they don't use much power.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kalloggs40 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Maybe 10W per card?

Oh so really it shouldnt be a problem fitting 2? 10w is nothing

Thanks Phil

20w will appreciate some airflow though, my own DX4-100 CPU originally had only a passive heatsink installed (one of those Pentium spiky ones) and after a while it got almost too hot to touch, so I added a front case fan I think and that helped a lot!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 24, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Tetrium wrote:

20w will appreciate some airflow though, my own DX4-100 CPU originally had only a passive heatsink installed (one of those Pentium spiky ones) and after a while it got almost too hot to touch, so I added a front case fan I think and that helped a lot!

ooooh not sure if I can fit any front fan on Packard bell, not even a rear one, I guess I may have to install a PCI extraction fan I guess. Both voodoo's don't have a fan on them or heatsinks.

Reply 6 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 3 2000/3000 are 11 watts for the whole card.

You can put a higher CFM fan in the PSU which will help both the PSU and the system without taking up more space.

I think Voodoo SLI is a bit much for a 486 though. (Gamers correct me if I'm wrong.)
.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 7 of 24, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Voodoo 3 2000/3000 are 11 watts for the whole card. […]
Show full quote

Voodoo 3 2000/3000 are 11 watts for the whole card.

You can put a higher CFM fan in the PSU which will help both the PSU and the system without taking up more space.

I think Voodoo SLI is a bit much for a 486 though. (Gamers correct me if I'm wrong.)
.

Well I can always put the sli's in the Pentium 3 Acer Aspire 6400 800mhz would that be a better option? Only question is do the voodoo's take over for every 3d game or just 3dfx ones? I prefer to use the Savage 4 for games that use open gl or direct 3d.

Reply 8 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kalloggs40 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Voodoo 3 2000/3000 are 11 watts for the whole card. […]
Show full quote

Voodoo 3 2000/3000 are 11 watts for the whole card.

You can put a higher CFM fan in the PSU which will help both the PSU and the system without taking up more space.

I think Voodoo SLI is a bit much for a 486 though. (Gamers correct me if I'm wrong.)
.

Well I can always put the sli's in the Pentium 3 Acer Aspire 6400 800mhz would that be a better option? Only question is do the voodoo's take over for every 3d game or just 3dfx ones? I prefer to use the Savage 4 for games that use open gl or direct 3d.

Afaik, up until V2 it's just Glide 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kalloggs40 wrote:

ooooh not sure if I can fit any front fan on Packard bell, not even a rear one, I guess I may have to install a PCI extraction fan I guess. Both voodoo's don't have a fan on them or heatsinks.

I don't think a PCI fan will cut it as the direction of the airflow should move the air across the length of the cards. Front case fan would be best (if side panel fan opening is not available or you don't or can't rig one in there yourself) and it is possible to rig a fan in there (usually where the pc speaker is located) when one is a bit creative. Once put a fan in there by securing it with I think some sturdy foam I cut into shape. Can also add extra wires if you want to be sure the "fan assembly" won't move around too much when you're moving the system around.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which case?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 12 of 24, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Tetrium wrote:
kalloggs40 wrote:

ooooh not sure if I can fit any front fan on Packard bell, not even a rear one, I guess I may have to install a PCI extraction fan I guess. Both voodoo's don't have a fan on them or heatsinks.

I don't think a PCI fan will cut it as the direction of the airflow should move the air across the length of the cards. Front case fan would be best (if side panel fan opening is not available or you don't or can't rig one in there yourself) and it is possible to rig a fan in there (usually where the pc speaker is located) when one is a bit creative. Once put a fan in there by securing it with I think some sturdy foam I cut into shape. Can also add extra wires if you want to be sure the "fan assembly" won't move around too much when you're moving the system around.

I was thinking this device

2x80mm-fans-Heatsinks-PCI-Slot-Bracket-Video-Card-Cooling-Fan-Card.jpg

Reply 13 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, that case. That's called the Pizza Tower. (I'm not 100% sure why...)
I thought you were working with a horizontal case.

That's a LOT of cooling for 11 watts.
I think I like Tetrium's front fan idea better though it doesn't have to be all the way front.
.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 14 of 24, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Oh, that case. That's called the Pizza Tower. (I'm not 100% sure why...) I thought you were working with a horizontal case. […]
Show full quote

Oh, that case. That's called the Pizza Tower. (I'm not 100% sure why...)
I thought you were working with a horizontal case.

That's a LOT of cooling for 11 watts.
I think I like Tetrium's front fan idea better though it doesn't have to be all the way front.
.

Not sure I might just put the sli idea in the Pentium 3, and I will not modify the Packard bell in anyway, in Australia its extremely rare and mine is excellent condition.

Reply 15 of 24, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Tetrium wrote:
kalloggs40 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Voodoo 3 2000/3000 are 11 watts for the whole card. […]
Show full quote

Voodoo 3 2000/3000 are 11 watts for the whole card.

You can put a higher CFM fan in the PSU which will help both the PSU and the system without taking up more space.

I think Voodoo SLI is a bit much for a 486 though. (Gamers correct me if I'm wrong.)
.

Well I can always put the sli's in the Pentium 3 Acer Aspire 6400 800mhz would that be a better option? Only question is do the voodoo's take over for every 3d game or just 3dfx ones? I prefer to use the Savage 4 for games that use open gl or direct 3d.

Afaik, up until V2 it's just Glide 😀

Funny thing is Midtown Madness (First one) is not 3dfx yet it only starts with the voodoo 2, I guess I could always disable them in device manager before playing non 3dfx games.

Reply 16 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalloggs40 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Oh, that case. That's called the Pizza Tower. (I'm not 100% sure why...) I thought you were working with a horizontal case. […]
Show full quote

Oh, that case. That's called the Pizza Tower. (I'm not 100% sure why...)
I thought you were working with a horizontal case.

That's a LOT of cooling for 11 watts.
I think I like Tetrium's front fan idea better though it doesn't have to be all the way front.
.

Not sure I might just put the sli idea in the Pentium 3, and I will not modify the Packard bell in anyway, in Australia its extremely rare and mine is excellent condition.

You don't have to modify it.
You just need create a bracket that uses existing holes and will hold a fan such that it blows in the general direction of the card(s).
The goal is to have turbulent air flow (or at least a draft) so you don't get hot spots between the cards.

I don't see that slot-fan thing working well unless you leave a slot open on the intake side to let air to the blades.
That means it will take away two slots. - And frankly it's too big (powerful) for the application.
While it will help against hot spots it won't exchange any outside air so the average case internal temp will probably go up. (Some)

Q: If you put a fan inside a sealed box and turn it on does the inside of the box heat-up or cool-down?
A: It heats up. The motor dissipates heat so long as it's running. All the blades do is make the heat go in circles.
No exchange.
.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 18 of 24, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't have to disable them. In most games you can choose which accelerator you want to use. Voodoo2 works perfectly fine in direct3d. In sli (with a p3 cpu) they will be twice as fast as a savage4....

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 19 of 24, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Voodoo2 works perfectly fine in direct3d. In sli (with a p3 cpu) they will be twice as fast as a savage4....

Unfortunately - no.
I have Voodoo2 SLI in my test PC and use it with Radeon 9100 as the MinME test machine.
Have installed the last Win9x DX.
Have used DXdiags to test the Voodoo2 d3d capability (latest Voodoo2 3.02.02 Win9x drivers).
DX7 test - error.
DX8 test - works but dxdiags uses radeon 9100 for it (I have removed voodoo cable to be sure, yes - the test not uses Voodoo2).
DX9 test - not supported.
P.S. Glide and opengl are ok. Radeon 9100 ddraw, d3d7 and d3d8 tests are ok (d3d9 not supported of course).

I will retest later with different DX versions.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).