VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello all!

I hope everyone is having a great start to 2016. It's been a while since I've posted here as some life priorities have shifted a bit (read, BABY!). With our new arrival last October I've had much less time to devote to my retro obsession, and ... well... much less time (and sleep) in general. 😵

That being said... Late last year, I stumbled across a local posting for someone who was selling a bunch of computer cases for really cheap. I snagged 5 of them:

2 x Black Ultra X-Blaster Mid-Tower cases (one of which is new, old stock)
1 x Black Antec SLK1650B Mid-Tower (new, old stock)
1 x Black Aopen H340A Micro-ATX desktop slimline case (new, old stock)
1 x Black generic mid-tower case with side-window

Anyone sensing a theme here? That's right - BLACK! All of these cases have a very late 90s/early-to-mid 2000s feel to them, and I've decided my next series of builds will be part of my "Black" series and these will again use time period-specific - mostly in 1999-2006 time-frame. One of them is nearly complete, and I just need to take some pictures and run some benchies for you guys. For now I'll plan on one build per month (as time allows), but you can expect the builds and documentation to be of the same caliber as my previous "Build of the Week" entries.

Stay thirsty my friends!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! Can't wait what you're gonna be putting together this time 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 23, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't wait to see what comes out that mad laboratory of yours, Artex! 😎

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5 of 23, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

baby + wife + retro hobby do not mix well - I'll be surprised if anything comes out of the mad lab.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 10 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Artex, your pics are perfect! It's suspense is like any movie poster about a retro computer should be 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 23, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ooooh I love me some 10,000rpm goodness! Wish I could get hold of a P4 Extreme Edition for Duriel - it's only 200mhz faster than my 3.2 Northwood, but it's a big step up in street cred!

Reply 13 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great to see someone else playing around with P4 gear 😁

Nice teaser video. Not sure what it is. I'm guessing RAM sticks, DDR2 LED sticks from Corsair or maybe Crucial? If it's DDR2, then you're on socket 775, so a Prescott or Pentium D based P4 EE would be my guess?

PS: I did not know about such RAM sticks, how cool is that!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 23, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

😎

Another teaser......
http://1drv.ms/1Q9LroN

Gosh i know that ram led play,have familiar pair of corsair cmx 2x1gb ddr@550mhz definitely great choice for high-end p4 gear!

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 15 of 23, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I definitely sense some Corsair XMS pro memory here 😁

corsair_pro_memory.jpg

Too bad my DFI LanParty UT nf4 Ultra-D that I bought in 2006 died last year 😒
Paired with an o/c Opteron 146 and my XMS Pro Kit it was such a nice build till the end 😵

Reply 16 of 23, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darksheer wrote:

I definitely sense some Corsair XMS pro memory here 😁

Ding ding ding!! Winner! PC-3500 XMS Pro. Should have this build wrapped tomorrow and will add a link in this post to the new 'build of the week' post. Having lots of fun with this one - some really cool hardware and a very rare video card. 😉

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 19 of 23, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:

High-end very rare card,that can fit with P4 platform... if its not an dual-head xgi volari v8 then idk surprise us 😊

Ok, well...erm.. I guess not as rare as that, but rare enough. And ridiculous expensive when it came out. In fact, I had to order it from an EU-based company since they weren't available in the US for some time.

LihnlZ.jpg