VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

I'm sure there's a thread about SP2 vs. SP3, lost to the ages here on VOGONS. 😁

This probably it Re: XP SP2 vs XP SP3? Which one is faster?

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I once had a Pentium 4 box that ran quite nicely with just SP2, but I was purposefully keeping it offline due to the potential security vulnerabilities. It slowed down to crap once I installed SP3 and put it online. 😜

We definitely need some benchmarks...

Reply 41 of 44, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Don't you just love it when stuff like that happens? Excellent news darksheer!

Thanks 😊 That was totally unexpected I felt so lucky to found this forgotten pc and make it run like it was new hardware 🤣

Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
This probably it Re: XP SP2 vs XP SP3? Which one is faster? […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:

I'm sure there's a thread about SP2 vs. SP3, lost to the ages here on VOGONS. 😁

This probably it Re: XP SP2 vs XP SP3? Which one is faster?

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I once had a Pentium 4 box that ran quite nicely with just SP2, but I was purposefully keeping it offline due to the potential security vulnerabilities. It slowed down to crap once I installed SP3 and put it online. 😜

We definitely need some benchmarks...

On a fresh install of Windows SP3 and tuned as it should the system is super reactive (fast boot, and for both games and exploring/playing files tasks...).
The only thing that is not as fast as the rest is When you use a recent web browser with flash player installed, I think the service pack used is pointless in compairison.
It's so cpu intensive and memory hungry that it should put a P4 3Ghz HT on its knee without much effort and I don't think it would be faster using SP2.
Sure I can play SD youtube videos without a problem but HD should be a bit problematic and even more whem you only have 1 GB or less of ram at disposal.

The 3DMark2003 score I obtained is even faster than those with identical hardware (with same stock frequencies) back then when SP3 wasn't out.
It's true that the video driver is not actually the same but I don't think this alone would make a +- 500 points difference on a 8200 score.

Reply 42 of 44, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

Impressive,yep that's what calls high-end XP era build,good choice thermaltake with voltage control,its pretty loud,mine usually runs in 4k rpm or so or runs hotter.
For this kind of build i missing only EE P4.
Btw try to run TES4 Oblivion and see if its beating crap out of rig 🤣 jk

Thanks! Yeah, without that Zaman controller that thing was doing 5000+ rpm and sounded like a hair dryer! I have it at the lowest speed now and temps are totally fine with the system being near silent as I stated. I couldn't be more pleased at the acoustics / temps - even under full load with prime95 and Furmark pegging the CPU and gpu.

Very nice build Artex, those Gallatin CPUs tend to run cooler than Northwoods for some reason. Those scores are very good for the motherboard.

Also you mention in your next build you are going back to 2000 that wouldn't involve the V6000 you recently acquired would it?

Reply 43 of 44, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stuvize wrote:

Very nice build Artex, those Gallatin CPUs tend to run cooler than Northwoods for some reason. Those scores are very good for the motherboard. Also you mention in your next build you are going back to 2000 that wouldn't
involve the V6000 you recently acquired would it?

Thanks! Yes, the V5-6000 (or Voodoo5 5500) would fit given the timeframe, but it only has been tested with very specific boards. The last thing I wanna do is kill that sensitive HiNT PCI-PCI bridge chip. The Y2K build you mention was completed and can be found here: Artex's Build of the Week - "Blackout" (aka - the Y2K build 'Part Deux')

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 44 of 44, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the specs of your build, though if you really want to give it that early-mid 2000s flair, I'd suggest putting it in a really cheesy looking case with custom fan grills, cold cathode lighting, led fans, chrome detailing... 😉 But then again, there's something to be said for sleeper rigs, machines that don't look flashy on the outside, but pack a lot on the inside.