VOGONS

Reply 20 of 20, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:
Tertz wrote:

In benchmarks. I doubt there are DOS games wich get practical benefit on Voodoo compared to most AGP cards on P3.

I've noticed that some DOS games do not feel completely smooth with certain (mostly newer) graphics cards. But with the V3, it feels like I'm playing the games on my DX4 again; it just has that perfect 70Hz feel with absolutely no stutter.

It's interesting to know, when are run in pure DOS on P3 with 440BX chipset and connected through VGA, what DOS games (and video modes in them) with which AGP cards give slower feel or stutters compared to Voodoo 3 AGP. Which conditions are needed to clearly notice the effect to reduce possible placebo effect. Especially info for Geforce4 and earlier Nvidia cards, - beginning from which models this problem in DOS have appeared.
There may to be a sync problem of newer cards, not in speed. Other BIOS settings or some software may affect/fix this. Using CPU clocks below 800 MHz is good to try too during the comparison.
With this data it will be possible to check on which cards such effect exists. Someone may check this also on Voodoo5, which you plan to buy in the future.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide