VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I present to you my latest build... "Blackout" (aka - the Y2K build 'Part Deux')

For this build, I decided to stick with hardware from the year 2000. Staying true to my 'black' theme for these latest builds, I named this one after the collective fear that ensued during the Y2K rollover. Of course with a few exceptions, all the hype and fear was for naught and while people were building their bomb shelters and hoarding water and canned goods, I was just getting started with my professional career in the IT industry and trying to stay current with my own PC hobby, and on New Years Eve of 2000 I was "partying like it was 1999."

Besides fear of a massive blackout, the year 2000 was an interesting year for computing. During this year, the fan-favorite 3DFX imploded on itself and sadly the 3DFX V5-6000 never saw the light of day - at least in retail form 😀. On the CPU front, this was an interesting year as the big players, AMD and Intel, were running a vigorous Mhz race. Each company was trying to push their 1000Mhz processors out the door and AMD got theirs out first. Also interesting was the way each company achieved this level of performance, with AMD choosing to slice the external L2 cache with a 1/3rd divider - at least in the first Orion-based "Classic" Athlon 1Ghz. I miss the days when AMD led Intel in the benchmarks...

On with the show!!

The goods...
Black Ultra X-Blaster Mid-Tower
Asus K7V Deluxe Rev 1.01 with 1008-D Beta Bios (2000)
AMD Athlon “Classic” 1000Mhz (AMD-K7100MNR53B) (2000)
1 x 256MB PC133 SDRAM
Corsair 400W Power Supply
Western Digital 80GB IDE Hard Drive
IDE DVD-RW
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra – Esla Gladiac Geforce2 Ultra 64MB AGP (NV15) (2000)
Aureal SQ2500 PCI Vortex 2 Rev. B PCI Sound Card (2000)
Thermaltake Golden Orb Slot A Cooler (2000)
Scythe GentleTyphoon 120MM Case Fan (D1225C12B5AP-15) (Exhaust)
Antec 120MM Case Fan (Intake)
Windows 98SE

Motherboard and CPU
For the motherboard I'm using the ultra-stable, VIA-based Asus K7V Deluxe Rev. 1.01 with the latest 1008-D Beta Bios. This board is paired with the increasingly difficult to obtain 1000Mhz Orion-based Athlon Slot A processor. Of course, the 'cool' factor is amped up a bit by my favorite cooler - the Thermaltake Golden Orb beauty. My original build used a 1Ghz Intel Coppermine so it was fun flipping the coin and using AMD at the heart of this build.

Storage
For storage I'm using an 80GB IDE drive. I also threw in a DVD-RW as well and skipped the floppy.

Memory
Not too exciting here. Just 256MB PC133 Memory

Sound Card
Still waiting for it to arrive from Russia (SLOW economy shipping), but this build will use the awesome Aureal SQ2500 PCI sound card.

Video Card
For the year 2000, nothing was more bad-ass than the NVIDIA Geforce2 Ultra so that's what I threw in here. One could also use a Voodoo5 5500 PCI along side the AGP Nvidia card for classic GLIDE support and better FSAA, but I figured it was too much of a hassle to deal with both cards in a single system and I would need a beefier power supply as well. The Geforce2 Ultra is such a powerhouse with it's 250/450 clocks and 64MB of DDR memory - plenty of horsepower to run games in 32-bit color @ 1280x1024 resolution. I totally forgot how many cool games were released in 2000!

How about some hardware pr0n?!?! 😊

Case

nBNoLo.jpg
uLzmQ5.jpgfyfcvD.jpgwHeD92.jpgEoQ2Eh.jpgh4jWd4.jpgDaGqo5.jpg

The Guts

3ppFRt.jpggVaZcS.jpgSE6bld.jpgqAh7yP.jpgYGK2cL.jpg
TYkLDk.jpgH9JkeH.jpgHv3Pgs.jpg

Asus K7V Deluxe Rev 1.01

c0v2A4.jpg

AMD Athlon "Classic" 1000Mhz Slot A

szOVRZ.jpgXMiWNY.jpgrz9SqT.jpg

NVIDIA Geforce2 Ultra

CKKckz.jpg

Aureal SQ25000 (Not here yet 🙁)

Screen shots:
aNQDjr.png
Oe2dHP.pngmSHfcq.pngAg2px1.png
MgTlpj.pnguafYfx.pngDC03YZ.png
OZxqyr.png
bKTjaN.png

Benchmarks (all done using defaults & NVIDIA Detonator 12.41 WHQL drivers)

GjM125.png

3DMARK 99

rS5Jf0.png

3DMARK 2000

UhgqRA.png

3DMARK 01 SE

i436Bq.png

Atto

EhyQQ7.png

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2 of 8, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Darkman wrote:

I like it , clean , simple and very effective. Those 1Ghz Slot A CPUs seem to be pretty rare so well done on finding that.

how are the temps on that CPU?

Thanks! I'm getting mid-to-high 30s at idle and mid-40s to mid-50s during prime95 for temps.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 8, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome awesome awesome! I was waiting for an AMD build and not only did you deliver, but you delivered and then some...and made me jealous!

You cannot beat the looks of a slotA CPU with a golden orb, and yes, the slotA 1ghz is a rare one. I think I've seen only two on eBay the past year. I really missed out on the last one that went for like 50-60$ 😒

Great setup. Thanks for the hardware pr0n!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 5 of 8, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This must be a real blast to play with. Congratulations on such a fine build and full of some very unique parts to boot!

BTW I always thought that only 3dfx cards worked well on Slot A boards, good to see a Geforce in there.

Reply 6 of 8, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

This must be a real blast to play with. Congratulations on such a fine build and full of some very unique parts to boot!

BTW I always thought that only 3dfx cards worked well on Slot A boards, good to see a Geforce in there.

Thanks!!

LihnlZ.jpg