VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a better way to spend Valentine's Day then with... another special build for you guys!

I present to you my latest build... "Back to Black" (aka - Devil Inside)

This one's gonna be fun folks!

For this build I was trying to come up with a creative idea as a follow-up to my "Always bet on Black" build that featured the redonkulous socket 478 Extreme Edition Pentium 4. A few of you mentioned that you would like to see what kind of numbers a P4 would do in Windows 98 (vs XP). So I dug through my stash and found a 3.0Ghz Socket 478 Northwood and a 865P-based MSI Neo2-FIS2R board to host it. I acquired the board from a buddy of mine a few months ago and had never powered it up. I remember this board was pretty popular back in the day with all the bells and whistles it had on-board. So I got to work..

I fired up the board and was greeted with quite the spectacular display of fireworks - not the bad "something is fried" kind - no, this was the chipset cooler shimmering and shining with little bright LEDs! Awesome!! I mean, look at this nonsense!!! -> http://1drv.ms/243ZVMT

I just HAD to find a case with a clear panel so I ended up grabbing one from a local seller - a generic black case with an acrylic side window and fan. Upon receiving the case, I found that the original owner must have used some kind of solvent on the acrylic that fogged it up, but it was 'good enough' so I used it.

I know I wanted to use Windows 98SE for this, so I got to thinking about my inventory of GFX cards and what was supported on the AGP bus for Windows 98. I knew I wanted to max this out so I dug through my fastest AGP cards and found my beloved BFG 6800GT OC with an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 attached to it. Unfortunately, the fan was seized and no amount of lubricating oil would fix it. Fortunately, I had a New-Old-Stock Rev 3 version I purchased a few weeks ago and began the process of swapping out the old with the new.

Ds0dQY.jpg

In the end though, the card looks to be hosed with all kinds of graphic anomalies. 🙁

psSA2T.jpgKhD2em.jpg

But then I found this beast...

8cWjJn.jpg

A BFG 6800 Ultra with the original cooler! After testing the card in it's stock form, it worked just fine so I swapped the OEM cooler with my new NVSilencer 5. So the outpatient surgery began..

Ay5Ie7.jpgKghcsx.jpgfBVo8w.jpgVzmcdK.jpgN0BLk5.jpgKJYA03.jpg

But wait, where's the exhausted hot air supposed to go? Hhmmm

MbvQK8.jpg

Ahh, bracket = Installed. 😀

9pnsyv.jpg

I disabled Hyperthreading in the BIOS, installed my PCI SATA card, hooked up my 2.5" SATA 7200RPM drive and everything was working just fine after the Windows 98SE install, so I was ready to install everything into the case.

And then I powered up this case.. and holy hell what a transformation. During the day, this thing looks harmless enough..

EUyB0q.jpg

...but at night the devil comes out to play. 😈

lIKNom.jpg

The front of this thing looks like the gates of hell with it's ominous, glowing pillars. The side-panel window fan creates a red glow on the inside of the case, like a some kind of hellish conflagration.

"What the devil?!" you may wonder... As this build grew from the "ashes," it is so aptly named. And what a 'devil' this beast is!

On with the show!!

The goods...
Black Windowed Case
MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R Socket 478 Motherboard (2003)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (Northwood) (2004)
Stock Intel Copper Cooler
PCI Sata Controller
7200 RPM SATA 2.45 Hard Drive
SATA DVD-RW
BFG Nvidia 6800 Ultra with NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3.0 (NV40) (2004)
Scythe S-FLEX 120MB Case Fan
2 x 256MB PC-3500 DDR Memory
Windows 98SE

Motherboard and CPU
MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R Socket 478 board with the Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Northwood (3Ghz/512/800) processor. I know these typically run warm, but not as hot as the later socket 775 Prescott versions, so I applied some Arctic MX-4 and used a stock copper-based Intel heatsink and fan.

Storage
The onboard SATA controllers were giving me issues so I threw in one of my Sil 3112 PCI SATA controllers and used a 120GB 2.5" SATA 7200 RPM drive which tucks nicely in on top of the DVD-RW drive.

Memory
2 x 256MB PC-3500 DIMMS

Sound Card
Still waiting for it to arrive from Russia (SLOW economy shipping), but this build will use the awesome Aureal SQ2500 PCI sound card. For now I'm using the onboard audio.

Video Card
After I failed to revive my BFG 6800 GT OC (which was modded back in the day with a Gainward 6800 Ultra BIOS), I used a BFG 6800 Ultra card that I modified with the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 REV 3.0.

How about some hardware pr0n?!?! 😊

Case

DHBYWX.jpgwOVmL9.jpgg4xt7N.jpg883xNF.jpgP4fGg3.jpgweG0F6.jpg9LvQTs.jpgqYv1lF.jpguzTRHR.jpgaClGqp.jpg

The Guts

tDwTLH.jpgANFHo0.jpg

EmtPXY.jpgWSf3qv.jpg

DdOLCD.jpg00KZXJ.jpg

BcegUD.jpg

bHMfCq.jpgmsWh4B.jpgvrguEZ.jpg

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (3Ghz/512/800) (Northwood)

OfzaWB.jpg

MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R Socket 478 Motherboard (2003)

iFsvdl.jpg

NVIDIA BFG 6800 Ultra with Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 REV 3

N0BLk5.jpg

Aureal SQ25000 Not here yet 😜

Screen shots:

8mu0qu.pngVUIoEp.pngtqV6Nt.pngEBUD2V.pngHhKSse.pngwNtxOy.png

0JS4fb.pngL8eloE.pngNXGCxZ.png
NLlWU8.png9NxdPs.png

Benchmarks (all done using defaults & NVIDIA 81.98 drivers)

H7IhVJ.png

3DMARK 99

XM2ARP.png

3DMARK 2000

AO9fb4.png

3DMARK 01 SE

Xhbjoh.png

HD Tach

zvwBj2.png

Atto

074HDq.png

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 12, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you've just built the machine I wanted in 2004, very cool , the 6800 series are really nice (generally between the GF3 and GF8800 I would prefer ATI , but the 6800 is brilliant).

just get Doom3 to run on it (apparently its possible to run Doom3 on Win98 and ME), and youre good to go 😜

Reply 2 of 12, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sweet. Gotta have the devil inside sticker for sure. I'm not into a lot of gimmicky stuff on my builds but I definitely like tastefully done LEDs and windows. Nice build!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 3 of 12, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! (again) for your compliment! Yeah, the seller of that case didn't indicate that it lit up so it was quite the surprise for me! I usually like discrete setups with clean lines and tidy internals, but this was a pleasant change of pace and that case really dictated the theme, changing the direction I was going for originally.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 12, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have that same case that came with blue LED tubes on the front, really like the red LEDs and the ones you put in it.

Too bad about the 6800GT great card but seems most don't have a very long life went through three of them before I got one that lasted more than a month. At least you had that ultra to fall back on kick myself for not buying at least one ultra when this wall-mart was closing only about $50 with the markdowns that was in 2008 but then you could get used ones on ebay for around $20

Reply 5 of 12, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, I remember being jealous at very similar-looking systems advertised in PC Gamer magazine back around 2004 or so... Nice build, and nice touch on the "Devil Inside" sticker. 😈

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 6 of 12, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice to see some p4/AGP stuff here again 😎 (those 3Ghz of power were totally awesome at that time, not only because of its popularity back then and now I suppose 🤣 )
Sorry to hear that it gaves you some troubles to work as intented, it's always sad when hardware die whithout much reasons 😵

Meanwhile I ordered a case to put my p4 3ghz into and I found that an Enermax Skalene would perfectly do the job.
Here some pics of my p4/AGP combo (replaced the fan of the graphic card by something uglier but working in silence and the cooler of the NB that was too damn hot by touch by a bigger one) 😎

y3m3-Gmz2rERD6aaBKV5dtOhnjlATxCzmj3KhAVfKaODvijIfe8ovD2ZZIyozB_87L7jQcCBMfMSbDDIpPpulPKNgotF1pDOqVcX8Hkt4KBHCiUf7kKVR2m991xUlj_iMwbeP4CcfJb3Eu35BCQBPu5RVPbAhGt16zZlqM3hQiMsCw?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none

I mounted the HDD that way because it looks cleaner 😁

y3mxHZiEEAdpHEvDZHHkX5zek-ckjqaTvIiM8nTZQw84ZGl6itC1GlLKdT4ZFnHZvsvtJEmnH7-OBe5t2Fpon0K_mWexZcVew7OZMB5EiVu_e8YSY4Yn8hoeaYxp9VR4J0wBA4xvTgimZtYaArHp6SI2Z1stpqhYN1DlWjT73fhC_w?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none

Now I only need some free time to test it further with games. 😀
As It is it can serve as a NAS, a media center and a web browsing machine (some sort of emergency computer if my main pc is in trouble 😎 ).

Reply 7 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww man you keep taking my glory! I've got a P4 3Ghz, Asus P4P-800, Corsair Flashy LED RAM and GF6800 Ultra waiting to be built as the "end of the road" 98 PC! was even planning on case lighting as P4s are hot (so its gotta be red) and this is the era people really got into case mods in a big way.

Still great job! I do enjoy reading your builds, guess the better man won 😉

Reply 8 of 12, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

Aww man you keep taking my glory! I've got a P4 3Ghz, Asus P4P-800, Corsair Flashy LED RAM and GF6800 Ultra waiting to be built as the "end of the road" 98 PC! was even planning on case lighting as P4s are hot (so its gotta be red) and this is the era people really got into case mods in a big way.

Hahah. Thanks! Never a competition here - I would love to see your build and benchmarks for comparison too! I really wanted my Corsair XMS LED RAM to work, but I only have 2 x 1024MB sticks and I couldn't get the board to fire up with them installed. That would look super crazy with those LEDs + side panel fan LEDs + chipset fan LEDS. Seizure-inducing to say the least! \

I actually picked up a 3.4Ghz Northwood for $15 that I'm going to throw in to max out the board. I don't think I'll gain much in the benchies, and a confirmed higher TDP/Wattage according to the Intel spec for the processors, but I'm still gonna do it. 😀

Right around this time in 2004 I had a Super Flower case that was pretty similar and I remember going WAY overboard with lighting in that build. I had an LED rope underneath to create a cool underglow effect, and two angel 'halo' cold cathode fans in front as well as two UV lights inside + LED Zalman CNPS cooler. It was NUTS - I couldn't even sleep in my room it was so bright! I'll see if I can dig up a picture. 😎

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9 of 12, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
Hahah. Thanks! Never a competition here - I would love to see your build and benchmarks for comparison too! I really wanted m […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote:

Hahah. Thanks! Never a competition here - I would love to see your build and benchmarks for comparison too! I really wanted my Corsair XMS LED RAM to work, but I only have 2 x 1024MB sticks and I couldn't get the board to fire up with them installed. That would look super crazy with those LEDs + side panel fan LEDs + chipset fan LEDS. Seizure-inducing to say the least! \

I actually picked up a 3.4Ghz Northwood for $15 that I'm going to throw in to max out the board. I don't think I'll gain much in the benchies, and a confirmed higher TDP/Wattage according to the Intel spec for the processors, but I'm still gonna do it. 😀

Right around this time in 2004 I had a Super Flower case that was pretty similar and I remember going WAY overboard with lighting in that build. I had an LED rope underneath to create a cool underglow effect, and two angel 'halo' cold cathode fans in front as well as two UV lights inside + LED Zalman CNPS cooler. It was NUTS - I couldn't even sleep in my room it was so bright! I'll see if I can dig up a picture. 😎

Wow,your build looks so cool.

Never ever I got my P4 builds to ever look like that,and I used some pretty good boards,such as MSI 865PE Neo-2-L (same as yours but without the Promise and the VT6307 chips),the legendary ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (used a 2.8GHz P4 due to the HT 3.0GHz one putting a such level of heat that it would make a grown man cry...) and a P4P800-VM (which I modded to run an Iwill P4SE-Gold (with manually added iGPU driver w/ CBROM) BIOS).

The best I got once was a Pentium 4 3GHz rig on the P4P800-E.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 10 of 12, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! I swapped the 3.0Ghz Northwood processor today with this little guy to max out the board - made a bigger difference than I thought with the 3DMark scores. Something is up with 3DMark 99 though - I was expecting like 18000+. And I'm not sure how accurate that 3DMark 2001 SE score is either - seems like TOO big of a jump.

VkP8VL.jpg

3DMark 99
3.0Ghz = 17786 3DMarks, 40920 CPU 3DMarks
3.4Ghz = ?? Not working correctly - showing really low numbers - 7486 3DMarks, 45883 CPU 3DMarks

3DMark 2000
3.0Ghz = 16492 3D Marks
3.4Ghz = 19595 3D Marks

3DMark 2001 SE
3.0Ghz = 14606 3DMarks
3.4Ghz = 19495 3DMarks

Seeing 3DMark 2001 SE run 180+ fps in that 'nature' scene is STUNNING.

Q8KKMm.png

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11 of 12, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish I had a build like this 😀
3DMark 2001SE is VERY CPU demanding, don't be surprised.
Now try to run modern-ish games on it, like NFS:MW (2005), NFS:Carbon, The Sims 2, GTA: SA, Doom 3, Far Cry 1, someone help me name other games...
Most of them would require KernelEx, except The Sims 2 😜