VOGONS

First post, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi reader !

I have been a Vogons fan for many years now but maybe now it is about time I share a little more from time to time.

I’m Belgian, 32 years old, and into PC gaming for a little over 20 years now. First PC ever owned myself was a Philips 286, first game ever was Wolfenstein 3D. Hooked ever since 😜
Owned several 386 systems, then a Cyrix PR200, then a Cyrix MediaGX 266, a Celeron 400, a Celeron 500, a Pentium III 700, an Athlon 900, an XP1900+, an XP2600+, a P4 2.4C, ….. aaaand then it gets blurry 
Always been a loyal 3Dfx fan and customer until the very end, so have quite a few cards in my collection. Then I made the switch to camp green but about 2 years ago switched to camp red for specific reasons.

As a father of two, full time job and other hobbies (BMW ///M car) I have little time to spend, but am planning to spend more in the next years to come. As such I have been collecting hardware for the last couple of years and now slowly am starting to build systems with them. I have a nice videocard collection from and all kinds of “cool” hardware from the ~1998 > 2008 era. Reason is simple: that’s the era in which I was fully occupied with the hobby. When I was not at home tinkering with hardware or gaming, I was helping out in the local computer shop or attending LAN parties on a weekly base. Games I liked and still like are ID Software’s gems Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake (especially all things considered Doom; nice collection here) and the other “great godmothers” like the Unreal series, Warcraft/Starcraft, need for speed, etc. I don’t have an open mind anymore towards newer titles because A. I don’t have any affinity with them and B. Modern games started taking a path which is leading away from my interests, so most of the time I’m playing older titles from my extensive archive or mods to those.

Now for the last 8 years all I did was search and buy all kinds of stuff. In particular hardware I owned before and regretted ever selling (which is a lot 😜 ), but also cool stuff I could never afford back in the days. So here’s the first build that is starting to come together from that massive pile of hardware stored; (I will provide some pics later)

• Cooler Master Wavemaster case, the limited NVidia edition
• An Epox 8RDA3+ rev 2.1 board, NFo2-Ultra 400 running a 3200+
• A set of CORSAIR CMX1024-3200C2PRO 1GB DDR400 CL2.0 w/LED
• A Canopus Spectre X21 card, imported from Asia. That’s a GF3 Ti 500
• A Hercules Game Theater XP sound card + module
• A Promise Fast Trak ATA RAID controller card with dual 400GB IDE drives for storage
• Dual WD Raptor drives, 74GB on the Epox’ SATA RAID controller for boot
• The CPU is cooled by a Zalman ZNPS3100
• A Plextor IDE DVD writer with the Cooler Master alloy bezel
• Genuine Epox IDE cables that came with the board
• For random coolness factor a Cooler Master Musketeer 😁
• And of course some blue cold cathodes 😁

This system just received a fresh XP install and am planning to finalize it within the next weeks. I know the package is not time-period correct as the graphics card and sound card are older than the platform. If I could get my hands on a nice reference FX 5950 Ultra (so with a green PCB because all PCB's in this rig are green), that would be even better, but for now the super rare Canopus will have to do !

Comments, thoughts, or whatever: always welcome !

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 1 of 52, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a great build to me. I will always have a soft spot for Athlon XP builds, and the 3200+ is obviously the crown jewel. I have a similar system except on an MSI NF2 board, and with an agp Radeon hd3850. That card isn't really period correct either, but is much newer than the rest. But I figure, why the heck not! 😀 I actually have an XP mobile chip (I believe a 2400+) which is overclocked to 2.3 ghz. It handles 2.4 and above, but I have to raise the voltage to levels I'm not comfortable with. But it is a great system and runs everything within reason. If I remember correctly, Crysis is playable, albeit at lower settings, thanks to that video card.

I'm the same way...I buy and collect hardware that I used to have and have good memories of, but also stuff that I couldn't afford. It is just fun to mess around with and see "what could have been".

Put up some pics when you get the chance. We'd love to see some!

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by petro89 on 2016-03-04, 01:23. Edited 1 time in total.

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 2 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks ! Great to find likeminded people !

I too own a 3850 AGP, but have "special plans" for it later on 😁

Will definitely share pics and more of my collections soon !

Reply 3 of 52, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome!
Thing I like about this hobby is fits into however much time you have. Only got 30 min or so? Play a quick game, Got a whole day? build a system! No time at all? everything packs away relativity easy and wont mind if you leave them untouched for years, Unlike cars 🙁
And the feeling of FINALLY owning that bit of hardware you dreamt about all those years, sure you may pay a bit too much for something but its still damn cheaper then all those years ago!
Cant wait for the pics, sounds like nice combination of high end hardware

Reply 4 of 52, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How did you go with that AGP 3850? I have an two identical AGP 3650 cards and on my nForce2 machine it was just a disaster. Crashes, poor performance, you name it 😒

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 52, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

How did you go with that AGP 3850? I have an two identical AGP 3650 cards and on my nForce2 machine it was just a disaster. Crashes, poor performance, you name it 😒

Not sure what to tell you Phil. It just worked perfect from day one and I've never had any issues other than one of the tests on 3dmark2001 (which is a widely experienced issue with this card-you skip that test and it runs fine). Other than that performance is great and no lockups or crashes. It runs doom3, quake4, UT2003/4 at 1600x1200 at great frame rates.

My 3850 is a sapphire model and they have special drivers on their site that I used. They have a hotfix ncluded for this particular card that apparently isn't included with the ati drivers so maybe that is the issue?

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 6 of 52, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I also had to use a hotfix driver, the standard drivers wouldn't install. I'll try again on a P4 board if I get the same issues or not.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Welcome! Thing I like about this hobby is fits into however much time you have. Only got 30 min or so? Play a quick game, Got a […]
Show full quote

Welcome!
Thing I like about this hobby is fits into however much time you have. Only got 30 min or so? Play a quick game, Got a whole day? build a system! No time at all? everything packs away relativity easy and wont mind if you leave them untouched for years, Unlike cars 🙁
And the feeling of FINALLY owning that bit of hardware you dreamt about all those years, sure you may pay a bit too much for something but its still damn cheaper then all those years ago!
Cant wait for the pics, sounds like nice combination of high end hardware

Exactly ! I'll print this out and put it up on the fridge so my wife can read it 😁 😁

Reply 8 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here we go; the very first pics. I'm typing this from Mean Green now. I have finished sorting/testing drivers. Next step will be to add stuff like the IDE RAID setup, start installing some games and bench software, add other hardware, tweaking/finetuning BIOS, etc.

http://imgur.com/a/uXzpl

Reply 9 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aha; we can upload pics ! Excellent !

Resized ones for your viewing pleasure. Full size at IMGUR (above)

Don't mind the ghetto setup for now. The goal is a top-notch and beefy powerhouse !

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2288.JPG
    File size
    109.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2287.JPG
    File size
    113.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2286.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2286.JPG
    File size
    112.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2285.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2285.JPG
    File size
    68.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2284.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2284.JPG
    File size
    69.37 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I ran a 3DMark2001 bench and scored surprisingly low. When attempting to install some other drivers, system started to behave really weird and now , sadly, the Canopus card died 😢

I guess keeping it stored away didn't do it any good ? It ran fine for a couple of days and died after the first benchmark run I did with it ....

Ah well, I guess I will have to start looking for an alternative 😒

Reply 11 of 52, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You may be able to revive it. Could be that the solder joints are bad and a reflow could raise it from the dead, not sure tho TBH. Already dead so it would at least be worth a shot 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13 of 52, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep! I have done it with a Geforce 8800GT and a Geforce 2 that was stored in a place that had extreme temp fluctuations that cracked the solder joints in the memory. So it worked but had some weird artifacts.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 15 of 52, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AzzKickr wrote:

So just take off the cooler, make sure no stickers are left anywhere and bake it in the oven at about 200°C for 2 minutes or so ?

http://lifehacker.com/5823227/save-dying-vide … ake-in-the-oven
You'll want to bake it for around 8 minutes at 385°F. The time is flexibile; the general consensus is that anywhere between 5 minutes and 12 minutes should be okay.

Reply 16 of 52, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually make sure to cover up the caps with aluminum foil just to make sure they dont bulge out, along with any other "delicate" components

Reply 17 of 52, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

I usually make sure to cover up the caps with aluminum foil just to make sure they dont bulge out, along with any other "delicate" components

covering them up would assist with them heating up, also 385F should be easily handled by any component that isn't already going south.

Reply 18 of 52, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Someone somewhere tested if caps that bulged/disformed after an extreme heat cycle like a reflow actully were damaged, the conclusion was that they were not. This was with reasonable fresh caps of good quality though.

That said, trying to protect the caps from the heat is always good.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-03-10, 21:18. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 19 of 52, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah makes sense!