VOGONS

Reply 20 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, super. 385F translates to that 200C that I was thinking so that's good. I'm pretty sure that's the issue because I store everything on the attic, where freezing temps are possible in winter (like right now). The bench heated everything up because that's the first real 3D I threw at it.

I'm going to give it a go and report back later !

Thanks already guys !

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 21 of 52, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the reflow does not end up working a Geforce 4 ti4200 would be a good replacement. Around the same performance but more common/cheaper 😀 good luck!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 22 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

If the reflow does not end up working a Geforce 4 ti4200 would be a good replacement. Around the same performance but more common/cheaper 😀 good luck!

True. But I have a soft spot for "special" cards. Cards that set it apart from all others, good or bad. I once owned a GF4 Ti4200 Abit Otes. About as loud as the infamous FX5800 and about zero overclockability 🤣 ! There's one up for sale now on Ebay and although it is very expensive, I'm tempted ...
Special AND owned it once usually means I buy it 🤣

Reply 24 of 52, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AzzKickr wrote:

So bad news guys: after about 6 minutes at 385F, all capacitors suddenly popped. So the dead remain dead this time !

crap ...

If they popped after 6 minuts at 385F = 196C then they were very sensitive. I have baked ATI X800X850 cards at 225C for at least as long with somewhat deformed 12V power connectors as the only problem. I use to start at 100C then raise the temp up to 225C (checking the card temp with a meat thromometer) then wait for 6-8 min. I use motherboard distances to raise the card from the "baking plate".

Well it isnt a lasting fix anyhow so no biggie.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 25 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
AzzKickr wrote:

So bad news guys: after about 6 minutes at 385F, all capacitors suddenly popped. So the dead remain dead this time !

crap ...

If they popped after 6 minuts at 385F = 196C then they were very sensitive. I have baked ATI X800X850 cards at 225C for at least as long with somewhat deformed 12V power connectors as the only problem. I use to start at 100C then raise the temp up to 225C (checking the card temp with a meat thromometer) then wait for 6-8 min. I use motherboard distances to raise the card from the " baking plate".

Well it isnt a lasting fix anyhow so no biggie.

Yeah I didn't want to overdo it but it seems it was just not meant to be ...

But on a brighter side: I'm currently closing a deal on a replacement Ti 500 ! If all goes well I will be the proud owner of a mint, boxed, MSI specimen with matching 3D glasses.

PS: SR-2 owner huh ? Dear god ! Faaaaat !

Reply 26 of 52, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice!

Yea the SR-2, the best, most over engineered (consumer) motherboard ever made! I seriously doubt we will ever see a greater achievement when it comes to motherboard design. I even have a complete spare SR-2 system with X5650s @4.4 and another spare SR-2 motherboard safe in its box, I even have two X5650 CPUs for the unused spare aswell. Thats how much I love the SR-2!

The memory overclock is rather good for registered 1333 MHz 8GB modules. 😀

skyscraperx56904600c.jpg
Filename
skyscraperx56904600c.jpg
File size
470.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

During a rebuild 2 years ago.

Skyscraper_SR2_and_memory.jpg
Filename
Skyscraper_SR2_and_memory.jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 27 of 52, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

Yea the SR-2, the best, most over engineered (consumer) motherboard ever made! I seriously doubt we will ever see a greater achievement when it comes to motherboard design. I even have a complete spare SR-2 system with X5650s @4.4 and another spare SR-2 motherboard safe in its box, I even have two X5650 CPUs for the unused spare aswell. Thats how much I love the SR-2!

I wanted one SO bad. Kudos to you. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 52, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

AzzKickr wrote:

I think I just had an orgasm ...

I have an X58A-UD7 running an X5650 but that's peanuts compared to this !!

In a way you can say that the EVGA SR-2 is what got me into retro computing.

Before I bought the first SR-2 motherboard 2010 I was one of those who builds a new computer as soon as a new platform is released. Every platform/motherboard released after the SR-2 just seemed boring and not worthwhile so there was no reason for me to upgrade but the hardware itch needed to be satisfied and that is where the old stuff entered the picture. 😀

Reply 30 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On-topic again: deal finalized ! The msi Ti 500 is coming this way !

Now I would like to part my Epox board(s) and my MSI boards because I want to match the GF3 with the top-spec Delta2 Platinum and thus get rid of most of my socket A stuff, except my beloved KT7E. But do we have a selling section on this board ?

Reply 31 of 52, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AzzKickr wrote:

Now I would like to part my Epox board(s) and my MSI boards because I want to match the GF3 with the top-spec Delta2 Platinum and thus get rid of most of my socket A stuff, except my beloved KT7E. But do we have a selling section on this board ?

There is no selling section on Vogons to avoid drama but there is http://www.amibay.com where many Vogons members are members.

Reply 32 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
In a way you can say that the EVGA SR-2 is what got me into retro computing. […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

AzzKickr wrote:

I think I just had an orgasm ...

I have an X58A-UD7 running an X5650 but that's peanuts compared to this !!

In a way you can say that the EVGA SR-2 is what got me into retro computing.

Before I bought the first SR-2 motherboard 2010 I was one of those who builds a new computer as soon as a new platform is released. Every platform/motherboard released after the SR-2 just seemed boring and not worthwhile so there was no reason for me to upgrade but the hardware itch needed to be satisfied and that is where the old stuff entered the picture. 😀

I completely understand ! I feel the same way more or less about my Striker II / QX9770 setup (my main rig still). The only thing I would consider changing and make my main rig from, is a change from the X58A-UD7 to the illusive and super sexy Rampage III Black Edition ...

Reply 33 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
AzzKickr wrote:

There is no selling section on Vogons to avoid drama but there is http://www.amibay.com where many Vogons members are members.

Awesome ! Never heard of it, thx !

Reply 34 of 52, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AzzKickr wrote:

As a father of two, full time job and other hobbies (BMW ///M car) I have little time to spend, but am planning to spend more in the next years to come.

Nice build - seems we have very similar hobbies and tastes 😀 I have the exact same problem with FX59xx cards. The Club3d 5900XT I originally had in it died, and I replaced that with a reference FX5950 witch started artifacting while I was playing Freelancer (it lasted about a month). I still have two 5900XT cards (one saprkle one leadtek) - hope they last more then the first two...

Slightly off-topic:
xWiejszm.jpg wlbf66Nm.jpg
Not M3's but the E30 is swapped to an M50B25 stroked to 3.0L using M54 crank/rods/pistons. The E46 is a run-of-the-mill 2.5L 323ciC. You should post pics of your ride here: What do you drive?

On topic - I have a very similar build - Athlon XP 3200+ / Abit AN7 (nf2 u400) / 2GB DDR400 / Sparkle FX5900XT. This is what she can do in 3dmark01:

Mbf8aGYl.jpg

Just recently I got the 2333MHz version of the 3200+ (14x166MHz) and a nice quiet AC Copper Lite and plan to swap those in tomorrow.

Reply 35 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Nice build - seems we have very similar hobbies and tastes :) I have the exact same problem with FX59xx cards. The Club3d 5900XT […]
Show full quote
AzzKickr wrote:

As a father of two, full time job and other hobbies (BMW ///M car) I have little time to spend, but am planning to spend more in the next years to come.

Nice build - seems we have very similar hobbies and tastes 😀 I have the exact same problem with FX59xx cards. The Club3d 5900XT I originally had in it died, and I replaced that with a reference FX5950 witch started artifacting while I was playing Freelancer (it lasted about a month). I still have two 5900XT cards (one saprkle one leadtek) - hope they last more then the first two...

Slightly off-topic:
You should post pics of your ride here: What do you drive?

On topic - I have a very similar build - Athlon XP 3200+ / Abit AN7 (nf2 u400) / 2GB DDR400 / Sparkle FX5900XT. This is what she can do in 3dmark01:

Just recently I got the 2333MHz version of the 3200+ (14x166MHz) and a nice quiet AC Copper Lite and plan to swap those in tomorrow.

Hey buddy, thx for the tip 😉 Old-skool BMW's will remain thé top cars for me ! I've been into BMW's for as long as I can remember haha 😜

On topic: So the deal on the MSI GF3 Ti 500 went OK, card will be delivered tomorrow, Monday. In the meantime I bought a matching top-spec MSI NForce2 board; the black Delta2 Platinum. So I'm changing settings a bit and will have to rename the project too.
I'm looking foward to the new arrivals. Definitely more sexier than the Epox setup, but still regret the Canopus dying ofcourse 🙁 Probably never find one again...

Furthermore I'm curerntly bidding on an FX5900 card as well. If that goes OK, I'm going to pair it with my IC7-Max3 board running a P4 3.0C and a set of DDR550 sticks.

And the third setup in the pipeline is my old trusted Athlon 900, which I own since the day it was released. It's pinned onto the beautiful blue Abit KT7E board with 1.5GB SDRAM. The graphics are provided through my ATI Radeon 1 (aka Rage6) 32MB DDR, while the sound comes from the almighty Aureal Vortex SQ2500 card ! Obviously this will be a Win98 machine.

I have yet to build me some 3Dfx setups as I'm a big 3Dfx fan and collector with some real gems in the closet. But those will be postponed.

Reply 37 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a V4 lying around somewhere too 😜

I haven't decided yet what builds I'm going to do with some of my 3Dfx cards. Probably I'm going to pair my V2's SLI with my PII 450 setup, in the future. Perhaps a V3 or the V4 with my PIII 550, and most likely pop in my PCI V5 next to the Geforce 3.

Talking about the Geforce 3; so I picked it up and it is really beautiful: the MSI Geforce 3 Ti 500 "PRO", fully boxed with literally everything in tact, just the way it was when it was still on the store shelf. Now to wait for the Delta2 Platinum board to arrive and I can start to reconfigure "Mean Green".

Reply 38 of 52, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the meantime I've been somewhat busy. The Delta2 Platinum board arrived but unfortunately is not "in top condition" as it was advertised. A few capacitors are leaking already. It will probably run still though and as I don't tend to push or overclock any of my retro hardware, I guess it wil run fine for a while.

Now I also have been thinking about pairing it with my MSI Ti 4800 card on which I could place a really nice Zalman cooler. The 3D stereo daughter board of the Ti 500 should work as well.

But that's not all... I also scored a nice MSI Nforce 3 board too and have some cpus for it like a 3500+ or an x2 3800+. So I'm thinking about building a second system ... Lol

Also I bought a really cool piece of modding hardware from the pre-modding era. Actually this was the first piece of hardware -that I knew of- that had the sole purpose of adding bling to your system 😁

All in all exciting times but due to time constraints not converted into physical awesomeness, yet ...

Reply 39 of 52, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great thread, keep it up. I certainly enjoy this new generation of "retro" builds 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website