VOGONS

My K6 build :D

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got my P5A-B from ebay 😀
But still no luck with 120FSB with cache on. Really want to make it work. 115x5 is stable but have problems with 115x5.5 due to the tiny heat sync I have for the P5A-B 😵
Other option is to get a VIA motherboard and run it 4.5/5X133 cache off.
What are the highest clocks recorded with cache on for SS7?

As far as I can see with my testing is that the system takes a bigger hit in performance when you disable cache or have more than 128mb ram when overclocked FSB

It does look like the memory performance of the asus(170mb/s) is faster than the gigabyte(160mb/s).

That is in sandra. I am sure other members get into the 200mb/s range?

Thanks for the input guys 😀 Thanks Phil, seen that youtube video a few times :p You actually made me buy K6 3+ 😊

ALI driver version also play a big role in performance.

I am yet to try my ATI 8500 on the P5A-B as it locks up no matter what with the GA5AX

Reply 22 of 47, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skalabala wrote:
So I got my P5A-B from ebay :) But still no luck with 120FSB with cache on. Really want to make it work. 115x5 is stable but hav […]
Show full quote

So I got my P5A-B from ebay 😀
But still no luck with 120FSB with cache on. Really want to make it work. 115x5 is stable but have problems with 115x5.5 due to the tiny heat sync I have for the P5A-B 😵
Other option is to get a VIA motherboard and run it 4.5/5X133 cache off.
What are the highest clocks recorded with cache on for SS7?

As far as I can see with my testing is that the system takes a bigger hit in performance when you disable cache or have more than 128mb ram when overclocked FSB

It does look like the memory performance of the asus(170mb/s) is faster than the gigabyte(160mb/s).

That is in sandra. I am sure other members get into the 200mb/s range?

Thanks for the input guys 😀 Thanks Phil, seen that youtube video a few times :p You actually made me buy K6 3+ 😊

ALI driver version also play a big role in performance.

I am yet to try my ATI 8500 on the P5A-B as it locks up no matter what with the GA5AX

I heard rumors back in 2001/2002 of someone hitting 800mhz on a K6-2+ not sure if that was true

Reply 24 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

I heard rumors back in 2001/2002 of someone hitting 800mhz on a K6-2+ not sure if that was true

I do remember vaguely about someone getting over 700MHz, but I'm not sure if this person was using liquid nitrogen or some other more exotic CPU cooling.
But there's lots of weird stuff on the internet 😜

mrau wrote:

wasnt that the k6-3? those can be chekced on some O/C (obsessive/compulsive?) site but i forgot the address;

K6-III is actually not a great overclocker, its die shrunk younger brother K6-III+ does a bit better.
K6-2+ is basically a K6-III+ with half the L2 cache disabled (one could assume this would make it somewhat more overclocker friendly, were it not for its architecture holding it back).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of valuable info in this thread. I'm definitely lowering my K6-III+ to 128MB from 256MB RAM 🤣 .

If anyone has a K6-III+ that is stable at 600MHz, please PM me, I don't want to buy a 3rd one that only runs at 550MHz 🙁.

Reply 26 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My take was always that AMD stopped at 570 for a reason 😁

I only got 600 with huge amounts of voltage, whereas 550 works much easier. So my tip is to just stick with 550 and be happy.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 27 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you go
http://hwbot.org/submission/2978303_strunkenb … 0mhz_800.94_mhz
I.NFRAR.ED was able to post at 840mhz

My personal opinion is that a K6+ is an untamed beast.
Lots to learn and do to get more performance.

I think all + CPUs should hit 600Mhz. The motherboard is the deciding factor I would say.

Phill, they stopped at 550 on the 0.25nm CPUs going to 0.18nm will make 600mhz a walk in the park.
However you must not go 600 with 100x6 the mother boards did not like it and performance is bad. 5.5x110 is the way to go 😁

I still have not used WPcredit because I do not know how, and I think some performance could be scored there 😀

Reply 28 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry guys with highest clock I mend highest FSB with cache on 😀
I also see there is a problem with my 5V line, it fluctuates from 4.7-5V and the 3.3V line is direct to it so it also does it 🙁
This could be a stability problem.

Reply 29 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

My take was always that AMD stopped at 570 for a reason 😁

I only got 600 with huge amounts of voltage, whereas 550 works much easier. So my tip is to just stick with 550 and be happy.

Yeah, I know, you've already told two or three times already on different occasions 🤣 . I've seen a lot of people hit 600 with 2.0V and 2.1V so that gives me hope. I just need those 50MHz to be happy, I guess I have an OCD 🤣 .

Skalabala wrote:

I think all + CPUs should hit 600Mhz. The motherboard is the deciding factor I would say.

However you must not go 600 with 100x6 the mother boards did not like it and performance is bad. 5.5x110 is the way to go 😁

Not all CPUs hit 600MHz, unfortunately. I have had two K6-III+ 400ATZ and have tried them on both a Gigabyte GA-5AX and my now trusty P5A-B. My first sample would POST at 600MHz, but would never boot Windows or finish a Quake timedemo, even at 2.4V.
My second sample will not even POST at 600MHz.

I tried this with both motherboards and had the same results. I bought my P5A-B in part because of this perception that some boards have a tendency to be unstable at 600MHz, but mostly because I really wanted a baby AT board. So please, do not let this myth persist, so that no one else may follow in my footsteps. 🤣

I've heard of the issue you describe further in your post, that using a 6x multiplier apparently lowers performance. I believe it lowered memory performance for some reason, at least this is as far as I can remember from posts on K6plus.com. Does anyone have any idea why this happens?
I'd love to do 5.5x110 if I ever found a 600MHz capable processor to begin with. Then I'd have to worry about L3 Cache hitting 110MHz (or disabling it completely anyway) and PCI overclocking 🤣

Reply 30 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok today I Installed Windows XP and ATi 8500
3DMark performance is bad. But with 256mb ram GTA3 runs without stutter and FPS above 20 😀 So the game is playable!
At 115fsb the game locks after a few seconds. Tried slow ram timings and other ram chips. 128mb does not lockup. 256mb does lock in GTA 3
So I disabled the onboard cache and there is no lockup.

Also my Sandra mem speed is 185 207 in XP. Where in 98 it is 175+-

Reply 33 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
F2bnp wrote:

Not all CPUs hit 600MHz, unfortunately. I have had two K6-III+ 400ATZ and have tried them on both a Gigabyte GA-5AX and my now trusty P5A-B. My first sample would POST at 600MHz, but would never boot Windows or finish a Quake timedemo, even at 2.4V.

2.4v? that could be a problem. You expert to get 600mhz stable with .4v increase? 200mhz is a 50% increase in clock speed. try 2.5v or more and make sure the cpu is not too hot. I have overclocked plenty of K6-3 and K6-3+ cpu's and I never had a hard time getting 600mhz bench stable on any of the cpu's. maybe not 100% long term stable, but stale to the point that I could run super Pi 1m or something.

Keep in mind that k6-3+ don't always like 6x multi's when set via jumpers on some bards like the p5a, ram and pci bus speed play a role here to. you could have a pci card or ram holding you back.

Reply 34 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

2.4v? that could be a problem. You expert to get 600mhz stable with .4v increase? 200mhz is a 50% increase in clock speed. try 2.5v or more and make sure the cpu is not too hot. I have overclocked plenty of K6-3 and K6-3+ cpu's and I never had a hard time getting 600mhz bench stable on any of the cpu's. maybe not 100% long term stable, but stale to the point that I could run super Pi 1m or something.

Keep in mind that k6-3+ don't always like 6x multi's when set via jumpers on some bards like the p5a, ram and pci bus speed play a role here to. you could have a pci card or ram holding you back.

550MHz and even 575MHz are completely stable at 1.9V, so yeah I kind of drew the line at 2.4V for 600MHz.
I exclusively use my Voodoo3 AGP or PCI cards for these systems, so I don't think they are an issue. I just really need to get another one of them and hope for the best.

Reply 39 of 47, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How did you get the 140Mhz?

According to the manual (P5A/P5A-B), the max. FSB is 120MHz jumper's selection is shown.
Anandtech's test say's about a range of up to 133MHz.

Your 140MHz would be insane 46.67MHz PCI clock and 93.34MHz AGP clock.
You have boot this setting only POST screen, not to windows right?

Personally, i would not go over 112MHz because of the PCI/AGP dependency.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66