My childhood Peacock 8MHz XT

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

Cool story. I think it's amazing that your parents managed to keep this computer for so long instead of getting rid of it like so many of us did. Hope you have fun restoring it and please post pics!

Maybe they didnt knowing about it anymore after such a long time.. But sometimes its really good if your parents arent cleaning up to much.
Iam also curious on which case he is going to use.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 21 of 32, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

some games/programs that made using Microsoft Basica but not gw-basic,
may experience text input error when the game/programs ask for text input within CGA graphics mode (4/5 or 6) if you're
using some VGA card that have different font 8x8 definitions (0x00 - 0x7F) than what was defined in ROM area (F0000-FFFFF).

-fffuuu

Reply 22 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry guys for not getting back to you about this project but it's kinda stuck in a rut. Actually, all of my retro project are now way behind schedule. I did mess with Dallas RTC chips the other day but only managed to fix one 386 motherboard and (probably) trashed a neat Soyo 486 board while adding a socket for RTC chip.

I still haven't made up my mind whether or not to use the original hard drive. It works but getting the original controller to recognise it will be a PITA. I really like the sound of this hard drive! On the other hand, I did buy a CF-IDE card from Carlostex so it would be a shame not to use it 😀

I'll keep you posted!

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 24 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally some good news. I was able to get all the important bits to four 1.44MB floppies while the old hard drive was connected to a 386 mobo 😉

On XT side:
- managed to low-level format the hard drive
- FDISK create new partition
- format in DOS
- install IBM PC DOS 3.30

It's alive!

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 25 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a picture of the beast. More to follow. Turbo switch is on the back 😀

DSC_0063.jpg
Filename
DSC_0063.jpg
File size
431.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 26 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This weekend I visited my parents and brought back with me the old Hercules amber monitor NEC JB-1285DE. Works like a charm! Stand by for pictures! 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 28 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, I spoke to soon. Wanted to test something after not using the PC for a few days only to be greeted by the familiar 1701 UNFORMATTED HARD DISK error.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 29 of 32, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These old PCs love to tease us!
I'll often be in the mood to tinker and all my PC's will be working fine.
Then when I just want to play something THEN something will decide not to work properly.

Hopefully it's just be a case of pushing cables, cards in tight, checking settings and the stupid thing will behave again.

Reply 30 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, something is definitely wrong.. it's either the controller or the hard drive itself although I can use it fine on a 386 motherboard.

I've ordered a couple of SST39SF010A chips to try and fix my CF XT-IDE adapter so that I can at least use a CF card for a hard drive.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 31 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fixed my XT-IDE adapter just in time for the exhibition. Looks like everything is working now but I still have some ideas about what to do. Most of all I'd like to add a network card.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 32 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got back to playing with my XT. Testing some hardware and games. I know I had Police Quest 2 on the XT but I don't really recall playing it. I probably played it later on a 486DX-40. On the XT with Hercules graphics it's definitely too slow to be enjoyable. It runs a lot faster, if a VGA card is installed but loading times are quite long despite the fact that I'm using a CF card instead of a HDD.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png