VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my 3-in-1 MS-DOS Retro Gaming PC
It can run in full speed, 486 speed and 386 speed.

VIDEO of the building process: https://youtu.be/_OTM4TGvNbc
OBS: if the video isn't showing on 1080p it might be under YouTube processing stage, but as soon it finishes the processing it will be available

Thanks to PhilsComputerLabs for inspiring me to build this and helping with some questions, and thanks to every member that helped me too.

Hardware:
Intel Pentium 133MHz
ASUS SP97-XV
AVL 128MB DIMM PC100
Maxtor Fireball 3 30GB HDD
S3 Trio 64V+ 4MB
Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Value.

aweboost.bat

@echo off
if "%1" == "" GOTO hlp
if "%1" == "/?" GOTO hlp
if "%1" == "on" GOTO ena
if "%1" == "off" GOTO dis

:ena
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S /R:30 /C:30
C:\SB16\CT3DSE on
goto end

:dis
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S /R:0 /C:0
C:\SB16\CT3DSE off
GOTO end

:hlp
echo .legaCy's AWE Boost batch file
echo parameters on: turn on the boost
echo parameters off: turn off the boost
echo Special thanks to PhilsComputerLab

:end

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Watched your video and it's actually quite fun to do so.

One funny thing is that your order of assemblage is different in the way that you mounted the PSU after you had already mounted all of the PCB stuff, while I tend to first mount the PSU and only after that I'll mount the motherboard and other components.
I do this mostly because (depending on the exact case) doing it the other way around might be troublesome when the CPU HSF gets in the way while trying to lodge the PSU into its spot.

But it's fun to watch, I even recognized you also hang the PSU cables over the edge of the case so they are out of the way quickly 😜.

What's the song btw? I hear it being used in previous videos I watched. It sounds a bit like Netsky.
Nvm, just noticed I'd missed the playlist at the bottom of the description 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea everyone works a bit differently. I also tend to put the PSU in at a later stage 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yea everyone works a bit differently. I also tend to put the PSU in at a later stage 😀

I don't think that anyone who has shown to be able to know how to build solid rigs (like many of us do here on Vogons) will be doing it in the only right way, so to speak.

Much also comes down to personal preference and whatever works for me or you will always be the right way (provided that that way results in solid rigs that is 🤣).

But it's just a small detail I noticed. Putting in the PSU at first obviously has the drawback of having little room around the CPU socket, in case one has to do some work in that area of the motherboard (like noticing one of the screws mounting the motherboard to the tray is loose or noticing the CPU fan connector hasn't been attached yet....or a screw falls in etc, we all know the drill 😁).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I don't think that anyone who has shown to be able to know how to build solid rigs (like many of us do here on Vogons) will be d […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I don't think that anyone who has shown to be able to know how to build solid rigs (like many of us do here on Vogons) will be doing it in the only right way, so to speak.

Much also comes down to personal preference and whatever works for me or you will always be the right way (provided that that way results in solid rigs that is 🤣).

But it's just a small detail I noticed. Putting in the PSU at first obviously has the drawback of having little room around the CPU socket, in case one has to do some work in that area of the motherboard (like noticing one of the screws mounting the motherboard to the tray is loose or noticing the CPU fan connector hasn't been attached yet....or a screw falls in etc, we all know the drill 😁).

Yeah,that PSU is a gutless wonder as well. SL-8270BTX(A) can only mean one thing 🤣

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB